Do You Have Any Questions About Club Refinishing/Restoration? - I've Got Answers

Can you mill a terrilium face putter, or is the metal too soft?

But what a great hobby for you to enjoy on your own time! Congrats on your career!

Sincerely appreciate this thread and the beautiful work you did for me. That putter is seriously keeping me sane right now.

🙌

I have an old putter that I would like to restore, but keep it close to original. Other than tarnish remover I've not done anything to it. What would you suggest? Any hope to breath life into the grip? its cracking.

Unknown-2.jpegUnknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-3.jpeg

I’ve had many discussions with my golfing buddies about stamped wedges...

Based on your experience, what tips would you give someone with regard to stamping?

I have an old putter that I would like to restore, but keep it close to original. Other than tarnish remover I've not done anything to it. What would you suggest? Any hope to breath life into the grip? its cracking.

View attachment 8935336View attachment 8935335
View attachment 8935337
How did you want to restore it? I think it looks pretty good as is.

I suppose a fresh black oxide would look great, in which case, send it to BOS.

Not really much can be done for the grip, unless you can find a seller who has a new one somewhere

I’ve had many discussions with my golfing buddies about stamped wedges...

Based on your experience, what tips would you give someone with regard to stamping?
Practice. Use good stamps. Don't be afraid of bruising your thumb.

I have a step by step on my site. I'll post it here tomorrow.

How did you want to restore it? I think it looks pretty good as is.

I suppose a fresh black oxide would look great, in which case, send it to BOS.

Not really much can be done for the grip, unless you can find a seller who has a new one somewhere
I want to keep it looking “fresh “. It oxidizes so fast that it doesn’t look like this for long.

is there a good way to polish it up the deal it or oil it to preserve that look? I’m assuming this is a copper alloy.

Practice. Use good stamps. Don't be afraid of bruising your thumb.

I have a step by step on my site. I'll post it here tomorrow.
Fantastic, thank you!

Those look to be in pretty great shape - I'm still waiting for someone to correct me, but I believe they're made from a magnesium allow. They're pretty much indestructible.

I would hit it with a Scotch Brite abrasive belt. Probably start with the maroon, and then work your way up to the blue. You can probably freshen them up by hand if you wanted to.

Polishing would look cool too especially if you're not planning to play them often
They likely wouldn't get played much ay all. Picked them up at an estate sale for $1 each. Just figured it'd be cool to mess around with them.

Whats the best way to fix little paint chips and slight scratches on a driver?

Whats the best way to fix little paint chips and slight scratches on a driver?
The same way you'd fix paint chips in your car. Find a paint match, apply, and buff. You can try a clear coat on top, but I've had mixed results. There is a site out there, possibly golfclubpaint that sells paint pens that are matched to certain OEMs. You might go there first. Otherwise check out your local auto parts shop.

I never really got a ton of requests for drivers and woods. Not sure why.

The same way you'd fix paint chips in your car. Find a paint match, apply, and buff. You can try a clear coat on top, but I've had mixed results. There is a site out there, possibly golfclubpaint that sells paint pens that are matched to certain OEMs. You might go there first. Otherwise check out your local auto parts shop.

I never really got a ton of requests for drivers and woods. Not sure why.
Thanks appreciate the tip!

IMG_1752.jpg
[mention]spacebandito [/mention] is this gouge salvageable? About 1/4 inch deep down whole heel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I missed this thread last week. So glad it was bumped.

I don't have any questions (yet!) but thanks for posting bandito!

Best wishes in your future endeavors, SB!!! (y)

Any tips on stripping this gold away? The custom job done never held up, it showed wear within weeks of having it. I love the color but it's starting to just get worse and worse. Time to refresh

IMG_20200407_162519.jpgIMG_20200407_162414.jpg

I’ve a Scotty Santa Fe and been sanding/polishing it up but there are still some tiny black dots almost like it’s pitting. Can this be fixed? How do I get them out?
Thanks

View attachment 8936204
[mention]spacebandito [/mention] is this gouge salvageable? About 1/4 inch deep down whole heel.

That is nasty. You can try to grind it out but you'll change the shape and weight of the head in the process. Better off welding the gap and then grinding it back into shape.

I’ve a Scotty Santa Fe and been sanding/polishing it up but there are still some tiny black dots almost like it’s pitting. Can this be fixed? How do I get them out?
Thanks

Pitting has to be looked at like nicks and dents. It either needs to be ground away or welded over.

Any tips on stripping this gold away? The custom job done never held up, it showed wear within weeks of having it. I love the color but it's starting to just get worse and worse. Time to refresh

View attachment 8936229View attachment 8936230
Sand blaster will take the finish off for sure. There are other ways, but without knowing what kind of finish it is, I can't say which ones.

Oil can finish for irons. For starters can you do it with only sandblasting the chrome for prep? Is it better to use an oxygen acetylene torch or butane? Can you dip the head into the oil straight off the torch or should you let it cool a bit first?
@Space Bandito Don’t know if you saw this, but if I wanted to torch a set of iron heads do I need to have the chrome removed first or can I just torch the chrome? Also, does it affect the color with dipping them in oil as soon as the heat is removed instead of letting them cool?

@Space Bandito Don’t know if you saw this, but if I wanted to torch a set of iron heads do I need to have the chrome removed first or can I just torch the chrome? Also, does it affect the color with dipping them in oil as soon as the heat is removed instead of letting them cool?
Chrome is a fickle beast. Depending how thick it is, it may not be able to be removed with a sand blaster, and will require harsh chemicals. I've had success with think platings of just torching it and getting some muted colors.

If you can't remove the chrome, oil can is not an option as the oil will not saturate into the porous steel underneath.

You don't need oil to achieve color, but the oil creates a neat effect. I would definitely dip them hot, as I'm not sure that it will do much once theyve cooled.

Most of you know I've been running kickassclubs.com since 2015. If you didn't, now you do. Over the last 4.5 years I have customized/refinished/restored/built/destroyed thousands of clubs. Also, as some of you know, I am shutting everything down. Not for lack of business - I've got way more than I can handle, but because my real career is coming back around (after taking a hiatus around the time my son was born) and I just can't see myself doing this as any more than a hobby.

I will continue to make some cool stuff on weekends and in my free time, but it will be on my time. Some projects may take quite a while to complete.

With all that said, I feel like now is a good time to do something I've always wanted to do: Impart what I've learned on the community.

This thread is one place where I'll be doing that. If you have ANY questions - I want to answer them. I won't hold anything back. It's silly to have trade secrets when you're not in the trade.

So fire away. I'm listening.

what is the first piece of equipment you would suggest someone buy that wanted to start this as a hobby as well?

Back