Do you have "relaxed" rules for normal golf?

depends on the group....if I with my non-THP group. we're pretty casual. Although I always try to play but the all the rules. But we take a stroke and distance off OB tee shots instead of re hitting. A mulligan per side...if we want. that sort of thing.

If I'm playing with THPers......nope all the rules are followed. But they have been kind and let a duffer like me re-hit when it's truly horrendous off the first tee.

And I should add here....I'll be watching that @robrandalgz guy like a hawk this sunday. I know he's trixie.

The only semi serious rounds are the sunday money game and rules are followed.....but no one is going to hit off a root. Some will take the drop, some not. It's only a few bucks so not a lot of angst about any of it.
Inside 3 ft gimmies are common.
Ha reading back, no we don't play by the rules..

My regular group on Sundays plays relaxed rules and they will typically give gimmes when close to hole within a foot or so. They also will play another off the tee if drive goes OB etc. Pretty casual really. I don't take any gimmes when figuring out my actual putts per hole. Want to try and be as accurate as possible.

My regular group on Sundays plays relaxed rules and they will typically give gimmes when close to hole within a foot or so. They also will play another off the tee if drive goes OB etc. Pretty casual really. I don't take any gimmes when figuring out my actual putts per hole. Want to try and be as accurate as possible.
I’ll take a gimme as long as it’s not for birdie or par (I like to finish those out for my own sake), but will always count the gimme as a stroke as I’m sure most do.

I’ll take a gimme as long as it’s not for birdie or par (I like to finish those out for my own sake), but will always count the gimme as a stroke as I’m sure most do.
Absolutely, If I am close for birdie or par, I am going for it to make it legit. (y)

I do for pace of play reasons and for fun. Does it hurt my cap, maybe a little bit but I sleep just fine :). If I leave a birdie putt short and they give it to me, I still like to run up and tap it in, but if I miss it's still a par. Now if we're holding others up, I won't do that. Ball lands by a rock or root and hitting the ball as it lies can cause damage to myself or my club, I will gladly move it so I have roughly the same shot with a severely reduced chance of hurting anything/anybody. Now if I am playing a tournament or something with stuff at stake I will abide by all rules. Playing for lunch with my dad, we'll create rules as we go along, if 1st hole is soggy we'll just declare rest of round lift clean and place, or move ball within a foot circle.

I do the same. Pars and Birdies are too rare. I want to earn everyone I get. I hate missing out on one due to putting but never regret not taking the gimmie instead of making the effort to earn it.

During the winter time we play the ball "up" so you can clean and place within a scorecard. Our club doesn't overseed the fairways for the winter and there is still a ton of traffic on the course. This time of year there is very little grass on the fairways so it helps a little bit. Other than that we pretty much play by normal rules.

We do, it’s called the “Dont be a dick” rule set.

The point of the game is fun, so, we keep it fun.

This is a great explanation !

Lost balls and OB are usually dropped in the general area the ball was thought to have been for a penalty, so yes.

If it's not a competition round then I'll take a liberty if my ball is on a root or rocks or something else crappy. Other than that play it down. Prefer to putt out, that was how I learned. Last round one of the guys kept throwing balls back after you lagged up. If it's less than a foot I'm fine but he was heading for my ball as it rolled past the hole and I told him "leave it", it was 6 ft past the hole when it stopped.

My foursome plays relaxed golf. We're all in our 70's, and enjoyment and fun is why we're out playing. We play decent, but give putts within the leather, and let each other move the ball to grass when we hit the fairway (our course has loads of dirt on the fairways), we also rake traps and place the ball if we land in a shoe print.

I dont but I do allow it from my playing partners if they want to. If its just a casual round and they arent playing to post a handicap, who cares if they bend the rules a bit if they want?
Me personally, I count every stroke, count every penalty, no mulligans and I play it as it lies. I play to post a handicap though and want to know how good or bad I really am, so I count every little thing.

Back