Do you have "relaxed" rules for normal golf?

Pretty casual when we play.

Recently I've actually been playing the ball where it lies more than I did before. Usually I'd do lift-clean-place from the fairway but unless it's in a divot or root then I'll play it.

I’m a filthy cheater, and gleefully so. You need to play by the RoG to keep your cap? Please feel free. Watch in amazement as I kick balls, award myself gimmies, and other blights on the game, then nonchalantly claim a par.

In casual rounds, gimmes, roll it over on same terrain and one mulligan per 9 holes is acceptable within our group. Keeps moving things along and keeps it enjoyable for all level of players. We all know what the rules are and abide by them in league or tournament play.

I’m a filthy cheater, and gleefully so. You need to play by the RoG to keep your cap? Please feel free. Watch in amazement as I kick balls, award myself gimmies, and other blights on the game, then nonchalantly claim a par.

LMAO! +1

I post everything for handicap, but play more relaxed rules (mainly for speed and to reduce damage).

Going to damage a club or hurt yourself due to a bad lie? Take a free lift.
Makeable putt inside a couple feet? Pick it up.
Majority of the clubs here play winter rules all year round for lie improvement anyways, so it isn't much of a stretch.

We're pretty relaxed for the most part. If it's in a divot, move it. We are generous with our gimmies. If the course is like it has been the past 2 days move it from soaking wet to the closest dry point. I don't have an official handicap so I don't worry that much about it. And we never play in any serious tournaments, just the occasional charity scramble.

Yes, generally if not a competition, we are going to play loose. If within 2-3 feet it’s a gimmie. Also, not hitting clubs into trees or roots. If chance of hurting club, just move the ball out of the way.

Yep, if it's not a tourney or anything it is very relaxed. Gimmees mixed in with a mulligan or two if you feel like it and you aren't holding anybody up. I have no problem with anyone going "Patrick Reed" on their ball in the rough, or fluffing up in the FW either.

Sure. If I’m playing a round where I want to work on something I’ll improve (or worsen) my lie and force myself into certain shots. Get some funny looks when I roll my ball into a divot

Playing high school golf, I learned to keep score for the entire 4-some as there were many kids who didn't have good counting skills. It is probably why I'm such a stickler to this day. Tell your son not to be afraid to call his competitors on a wrong score in the same way you describe above.

Yessir. He learned that day to keep a separate card and get everyone’s score. They were keeping another in the groups score but that particular kids scorekeeper was a younger kid from his school so I’m sure even if he knew it wasn’t right he just put down whatever he was told. We knew it wasn’t right, but since I wasn’t keeping his score (I think his mom thought I was which is why she was basically pleading with him to change it as she knew it wasn’t right either) I couldn’t call him out on it. I knew it wasn’t right but I don’t know if it was a 10 or 11. It dang sure wasn’t a 6 and Colin never lost the teebox that nine so it was impossible for him to have a a 3 stroke better score.

But like I said, lesson learned. Colin keeps everyone’s score, not just the kid he’s supposed to and he’ll call them out on it right then and there if anyone in his group tries to shave one or two, intentionally or not. I think some kids just truly lose track on blowup holes. Colin usually played awith the ones and twos so it was less prevalent then as most were Juniors and Seniors and had generally better golfers so less blow up holes. But his coach made him play with the 5’s for two weeks as punishment for throwing his club into the ground. His coach and I discussed it right there as I was talking to him and we were both right behind him. Playing with the 5’s usually added an hour to a nine as some are pretty bad and Colin hates slow play.

That was just his coaches punishment. I didn’t really punish him but assured him he’d be using a 20 year old set of irons if it ever happens again. I didn’t spend over 2k on his clubs for him to abuse them (and that’s not including my Circle T I let him use for the 2nd half of the season).

I knew I’d have to read your post on the subject! Lol

When we play I’ll just write down 72 on the first tee for ya!

We play for enjoyment and you get more freedom the higher your handicap. Putts inside leather are gimmes except birdies or better, which you gotta earn. Stumps, rocks, some trees... improvement mostly ok. Lose a ball is a stroke, also water. Winter rules also lift and clean apply. My handicap is higher than minimum wage, but we always enjoy the round.

Yes, gimme putts if not for birdie or better. Texas foot wedge if behind a tree, etc. Out there to have fun, but not be a neanderthal either. If playing in tournament for prizes, then follow the rules best as we can.

We'll do a breakfast ball sometimes on the first tee.

Also, anything out of season is super casual. Couldn't care less if an extra ball is hit once or twice a round and makes no difference to me which ball ends up going in the hole haha

As long as it doesn't slow us down, go nuts.

I certainly do but I count all of the shots / penalties if I'm using it for my handicap.

I count everything. OB, 2 off the tee, putts, everything. I do it, not because I’m a stickler for the rules, because I want to have a good base for when I play again. I feel I’m not doing myself any favors by cheating myself a shot or two. As for others, I could care less what they do and how they keep score. I’m not out there to bust balls or preach. I’m out there to have fun and get better.

I count everything. OB, 2 off the tee, putts, everything. I do it, not because I’m a stickler for the rules, because I want to have a good base for when I play again. I feel I’m not doing myself any favors by cheating myself a shot or two. As for others, I could care less what they do and how they keep score. I’m not out there to bust balls or preach. I’m out there to have fun and get better.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This exactly^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This 100%.

I've always wondered how a person can tell they're improving if they continue to change the "rules" they play by. My successes and failures are very quantifiable to me since I know that every time I step on a course, I'm playing by the same rules.

I took two or three breakfast balls last year and bumped the ball away from a tree root a few times. OB I always play as stroke and distance but that only happens to me a few times a year. Same thing with my tee shot coming to rest in a divot, I play it down as in only happens a handful of times each year. Most of the time the guys in my group won’t take or give a gimmie if it’s over 18” but again it doesn’t slow things down - most of my rounds are under 3.5 hours and many are right at 3 hours walking.

I didn't start improving until I started counting everything and being honest with where my game is. This is a solid point but there are times where I'm with a certain group and it's all about the fun

If you are using the score in keeping your handicap, you should play by all the rules. You are hurting yourself otherwise. What benefit do you really get from a vanity handicap? With the new handicapping, the max score you can have is a triple bogey, and double on some holes depending on your handicap. And other than failing to hit a provisional, your scoring by all the rules doesn't really delay play.

Lol. Unless we are playing for money, then none of that flies.

We do, it’s called the “Dont be a dick” rule set.

The point of the game is fun, so, we keep it fun.

I pay to play, NOT the other way around. So this sums it up perfectly.

I have a friend who does the similar and on holes he doesn't take liberties he'll announce that he had a 'legitimate' par or birdie. I chuckle every time he says 'legitimate' as he's calling out the fact that often his score doesn't reflect reality..

depends on the group....if I with my non-THP group. we're pretty casual. Although I always try to play but the all the rules. But we take a stroke and distance off OB tee shots instead of re hitting. A mulligan per side...if we want. that sort of thing.

If I'm playing with THPers......nope all the rules are followed. But they have been kind and let a duffer like me re-hit when it's truly horrendous off the first tee.

Back