Do you know your course's green speed?

Which hole? Doubt stimpmeters get much use on the nearby courses. At some of the nicer courses around here they're probably between 8 and 9.

Can I make a good guesstimate? Yeah. Do I carry around a stimp meter or ask the pro shop what it is to verify? Heck no. Reading greens is a necessary skill, remember :alien:

The super either doesn't measure it or doesn't tell anyone in the golf shop.

I'll hit 20-25 putts before hand on the practice green to get a gauge of what I hope the speed is on the course. Problem there is the greens crew doesn't always cut the greens on the course and the putting green on the same day. Or you'll find strips of a green that were missed. When the crew takes their time, the greens have a good, consistent speed but I don't think the speed is measured and then disclosed to the general public.

Ya not bothering myself to call ahead haha.

I would say many of the courses around here play daily around a 9. A few can and do get their greens up to about 11-12 though during tournaments or certain times of the year

No idea what my home tracks run, but I would expect slooowww 6-8. The greens keep getting smaller and smaller with more disease and pot marks. Makes me question what kind of life the place has left in it.

The best greens on the 2nd course are shut down currently because of how wet the place is, but they might run 7-9.

So, I picked up a piece of moulding yesterday. Gotta figure out how to get the notch cut in it now. Figure that since autumn and winter will be killing the playing season, for the most part, for a while, I can take my time with it. I'll likely measure the speed of the rug in the house first.

So, I've got a crude notch cut in it now and I think I've got it releasing at ~20.5° as intended. I want to put a small flat head screw/bolt in it with a spring that I can use to pull and release. More on that later, if I end up going that way.

No idea. Our greens can vary from one to the next. It seems like they are always doing something, sanding, verti-cutting, fertilizing, aerating, and it won't necessarily be all the greens on a given day. Since the hybrid grass they use for the greens goes dormant over the winter they are cutting them higher now and they are really slow right. By the time the grass starts growing again in the Spring they will be extremely fast to the point that downhill putts are almost unstoppable. It takes a good technique and steady hands to make those putts! :)

No idea. Our greens can vary from one to the next. It seems like they are always doing something, sanding, verti-cutting, fertilizing, aerating, and it won't necessarily be all the greens on a given day. Since the hybrid grass they use for the greens goes dormant over the winter they are cutting them higher now and they are really slow right. By the time the grass starts growing again in the Spring they will be extremely fast to the point that downhill putts are almost unstoppable. It takes a good technique and steady hands to make those putts! :)

The funny thing is many people get so upset about that. Each green is its own little ecosystem and it’s very very hard to get all greens playing the same (unless you have an unlimited budget of course). Even in tour stops there are probably 2-3 different speeds out there. Not huge variances but probably 2-3 feet of difference at extremes.

Although I would say it’s a little weird that they don’t do the punching/fertilizing at around the same times.

I love course agronomy and have really started to dive in to what makes a course run/play well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What course uses 2 grasses on the greens? That is odd unless you mean just a hybrid bermuda strain. not 2 grasses on the greens

The course I play most has the current speed on their home page.

What course uses 2 grasses on the greens? That is odd unless you mean just a hybrid bermuda strain. not 2 grasses on the greens

TifEagle Bermuda, no multiple grasses. Very little to no grain when cut tight. No overseeding during the winter; it just goes dormant and with all the foot traffic it gets packed down and putts much faster than during the growth season.

No idea, and I'm sure they don't either.

Don't know, don't care to be honest. I doubt most (if not all) of the courses I play know or care either.

TifEagle Bermuda, no multiple grasses. Very little to no grain when cut tight. No overseeding during the winter; it just goes dormant and with all the foot traffic it gets packed down and putts much faster than during the growth season.

That is what I thought, haven't putt on it yet but heard good stuff. I hate Bermuda

I'm more interested in if the greens have been punched or micro punched recently. On any given course, the speed of the greens isn't going to change much from week-to-week. If it's a course I haven't played I may be interested in what they are, but at the end of the day, you adjust as you warm up for the round.

A couple of weeks ago I played a course I'd never played that runs about 11-12 on the Stimpmeter after playing rounds on a course that runs 7-8. While I heard these greens ran fast, it didn't really matter. You still have to lock in when you warm up. IMO if you don't warm up on the putting green before a round, you are giving up strokes. It's just not a good plan.

Saturday played two different courses. IN the morning the greens were rolling...I dunno, a 3? I have played courses where the fringe was shorter than the grass on this green. Not only that, it was the first green I have ever played where I actually thought someone stepping in my line would matter; very spongy and held a mark for a while. Not once, not twice but thrice I had putts heading straight in take 90 degree turns within 3" of the cup and miss.

then in the afternoon I played one that is maybe a 9 or 10...Frank, what was Redtail rolling? Anyway, the speed DIFFERENCE mattered more than the speed. Frank has played with me enough to know anytime the putt rolls past the pin I missed my speed. I am a "die it in the hole" guy as I would rather miss short, even on an eagle or birdie putt, than run it 6' past and 3-putt. I believe I was short once all afternoon. Everything ran past.

It did not matter what the real stimp numbers were, it only mattered how well I was able to gauge how far the ball would roll based on length of my stroke and slope of green. I genuinely believe that would be true even if I had not played two wildly different greens. The number does not matter, the skill of the person holding the club at monitoring pace does. A lot.

As long as the greens on the course are the same speed as the putting green I don't care. Just need to dial it in on a few putts before going out.

Slower than Kinderlou Forest, for certain.

Back