Do You Make The Tee Times?

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Are you the one who makes the tee times in your group? If you are, do you need to prepay? How often do you get no-shows and how do you handle that with the course and getting charged for no-shows?

If I play where I need a tee time I don't mind doing it, but if one of the 4 is a no show I will collect from them if they charge for the no show. You only get one chance on that, I won't schedule you in again if it happens.

Yes, no, rarely, don’t get charged.

I book most of them. We play a lot of different courses but it's extremely rare to run across one that requires prepayment unless it's to secure a team slot in a tournament or scramble or something. I've also chosen to prepay for the group in special situations. Last time was earlier this spring when booking Payne's Valley. My little brother, son in law, and his dad were all going to be traveling in from different states and I talked Payne's Valley into giving all four of us my local discount. I've never been screwed by a no-show the rare times I've paid for the group. Like @Snickerdog , it will be a one time only occurrence if it ever happens.

Last edited:
If I didn't make the tee times for the group, I don't think anyone would ever golf :LOL: A little over dramatic I'm sure, but I'm definitely the one who makes a majority of them.

Most of the times I make, I just make for four people and then I ask people to come until I fill it up. No need to prepay for anything and most of the people I go with have season passes anyway (at the home course that is). If I do make one at a course that requires prepayment, I get the okay from everyone that they are coming before I pay and they just reimburse me. Not always the worst getting a little extra in CC rewards lol

I make the tee times, but won't pre-pay unless we are on a trip like down at Myrtle or somewhere.

...... I also lie and say the tee time is 20 minutes before we actually tee off depending on who I am playing with. Being late, and therefore making me late, is probably the #1 thing that will piss me off quickly. Best to give some people a cushion to spare them of that.

Are you the one who makes the tee times in your group? If you are, do you need to prepay? How often do you get no-shows and how do you handle that with the course and getting charged for no-shows?
I typically do this for my friends. I can get them discounts based on my booking. They never leave me hanging if I had to pre-pay.

When we book for our league, some courses ask for a CC to hold reservations. But there everything is pay at the course and we update tee times 2-3 weeks out with hard commitments from members.

Yep I'm the tee time guy. Unfortunately a lot of courses require prepayment now. I just let the group know what they owe. Haven't been stuck with a no show fee yet. My friends know that if I'm paying up front they need to cancel in advance, help fill their spot or cover any fees.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If I play where I need a tee time I don't mind doing it, but if one of the 4 is a no show I will collect from them if they charge for the no show. You only get one chance on that, I won't schedule you in again if it happens.
That is me exactly. I use to make a lot of the tee times. You have one chance to pay me after the round if I had to eat it. Otherwise you never get an invite to play golf again. Only have had one round go bad. I don't invite that person anymore. Gave it to a friend that was short on funds to play and he really enjoyed it.

I don’t make the tee times. I’m a newcomer and I’ve been playing with guys who’ve been playing together for years. We never play courses that require prepayment. Being seniors, the online booking never charges the senior rates. We only get that when we pay at the pro shop.

It's mostly me doing it. I'm starting to get annoyed quite frankly not with the fact that I am doing the booking, but the fact I'm always the one asking. I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

I have several methods of getting a round in now.

1) Meetup groups, I've joined 5 golf ones and will go when I can and ask friends / family if they want to be a +1. Some are prepay, some not. I'll send the $$ on signup

2) Organize my own rounds (at least try to) with said friends / family. If it is prepay, I make them send me the money first then I am happy to book it. If it is pay at course. I have told them, if they bail too late for a cancellation, they still need to pay, so may as well turn up. Worked so far.

I'm literally just getting a list together of the next meetups for 6-8 weeks to send to my BIL/ FIL to see if they want to play any of them.

We can do them online at my home course, so one of us jumps in and blocks them out two weeks at a time - sometimes it's me, sometimes it's one of the others.

None of the other courses we regularly play require prepayment. If we played one that did and I made the tee times it would be cash up front, no deposit no return without a really, really good reason. You paid for it, it's yours - either show up or give/sell it to somebody else.

When our group of friends play at my home course, I make the tee time, and pick up the tab. There's usually 6 of us.

When we play at one of the other's home course, they make, pay for the tee time.

No shows are not very common, and usually a last minute emergency type thing. If the course can't fill the vacancy, and we get charged, the mia player is picking up the tab at 19th next time. That said, only a couple of courses charge us for a.missing player.

One of my golf buddies and I take turns making the tee times. We make them a week in advance for the following Monday, Wednesday and Friday. There is no charge for this.

In our regular group of guys it tends to be whoever jumps on first and books the time. Then a text goes round to check the time is OK and everyone gets added to it. We're all members of the course, so no pre-payment required.

I've never done it. Once @MattyD-MPLS did for the group and we paid after the round. Usually it's my FIL who sets up times because we tend to golf where he wants to golf and I don't really care which course he takes us to, then we all pay our own when we get in.

It's about 50/50 on who is booking and if it's prepay. Haven't had to deal with any no-shows as of yet, but I trust that if we were still charged, the person would cover their share.

You don’t need tee times at most courses around here. Generally you can just show up and play. Some courses do need them and generally I make them for my party but there is no prepay here and there is not a no show charge either.

I am, we have a group text with like 10 guys, it's amazing with busy schedules how often a tee time only get's 2-3 people.

I mostly do it when I play with folks, but not always.

As far as cancellation policies, I make it clear that if you don't confirm with me you're coming by the cancellation window, I'm cancelling your spot. Haven't been burned yet doing this.

Yes I will make the tee times for my groups during the week.
I usually don't have to prepay but I haven't had a friend No show yet.

I usually make our tee times. I play mostly with resident physicians, so their schedules are nightmares. When not playing at my home course, I usually book GolfNow because they gave me a free one year membership without fees. Over 40ish rounds, I’ve had one cancellation and one no-show. I was charged for the no-show, but not the cancellation. I’m not golfing with degenerates, so my buddy made me whole when was charged for his no-show.

I make all of our tee times. People in my group rarely back out but we have enough wildcards in the bullpen that we can almost always fill the spots. On the rare occasions I have a late cancellation the courses usually waive the fee these days since it’s so busy and they can always fill it with a walk on. On the even rarer occasion we get stuck with a fee the person who cancels always pays up with no issues.

At our local course, my buddy usually calls so no pre-pay. They just went to a new online tee reservation site that doesn't require payment. So for now its just as easy to go on and reserve. They are busy, but we have a good relationship with them and they wouldn't charge if a player didn't show. If it became habitual maybe that would change.

Other courses I usually do make the tee time. Lately, I haven't had to pre-pay so its not been an issue. I think more courses are using proprietary tee time website so they don't have to pay fees to the hosting sites....

It depends sometimes I do sometimes I don’t. I generally play my course where we are all members so there isn’t a payment issue.

Back