I try to do my best, but realize some days I just don't have a swing.

Today was a perfect example. Tee game, wedge game, and putting were all average to poor but I hung in there and really started striking my irons AMAZINGLY well.

In my younger days with much more golf and practice, I was guilty of walking off after 9 a couple times. These days I'm focused on getting the most out of each hole, even if it's headed towards a high score. Since coming back from my shoulder injury in 2013 most of my posted scores are from playing with my dad in Myrtle Beach and a few in Chicago. I definitely play practice rounds that I don't intend to post an therefore bad play is less maddening. I can see myself relaxing and having fun after a rough start, or really grinding hard, but a round I intend to post is just that, regardless of the good or bad.

Let's say you start out with a rough first 3 holes. If you are a low handicap player think a double and a couple of bogeys. For a high handicap player think multiple OB off the tee and some 3 putts. How do you turn it around? Or do you basically phone it in and "have fun"?

I have watched this at multiple THP Events and it seems that its very different for different golfers. Some quickly "quit" and point out that they are "just having fun" and others grind to get it back and see when the switch flips.

Now keep in mind that neither is right or wrong, but I was curious after witnessing it on a few occasions.

I did quit quite often when I was in my teens and 20's but very rarely since. I'm very good at making a birdie on the next hole after a double bogey and it's not uncommon for me to be 3 over after 5 or 6 holes and finish even par for the round.

Never quit and fight to the end. I have a goal for my handicap and need the best possible bad rounds to make that goal a reality

I'm not good enough to quit. Every round is an opportunity to improve. A hole at a time.

Back