Do you think about a “strategy” before playing - or, do you just go play?

If I'm playing a course for the first time I sometimes look at google maps to get an overview of the course, but since I don't always know for sure what the order of the holes are I'm just getting a general view. Honestly even doing hole flyovers I won't remember 75% of them by the time I get to the course anyway. There is usually one of those "oh yeah, now I remember them talking about avoiding that hazard" moments afterwards :rolleyes:

The days of employing a strategy on a round are long behind me. My approach to a round of golf is to enjoy the beauty of the course and have fun. I do look at each hole as a test and attempt to play it well but I am no longer concerned too much on the overall score for the round. When it stops being fun, well there are things other than golf one can do.

Play it forward.
I'm o.k. with playing to a GIR. I can hit the occasional par 5 in two. I've hit a handful of par 4s in 1. It's just not a yardage that I specifically look to play at.

I would likely play and score better with a bit of plan, even if it is only formulated as I reach the hole. Too often, I just want to hit it yonder way with too little thought as to an actual target.

Tee it up and go unless the course is more target oriented. I'll try to game plan certain holes if that's the case

I look at the weather forecast and what it's done the last day or so... Admittedly, I'm fooling myself a little bit thinking I'm even good enough for it to make a big difference, but since our course has crazy fast greens I may attack the pins a little bit more if they are playing softer. If it has been dryer, I'll play to the front a lot more to account for roll.

If it's a tournament I will think about strategy, but rarely for casual rounds.

No idea where I want to hit my tee ball until I see where the pins are.

I do try to approach each round thoughtfully and do a reasonable job staying on plan. I think my overall strategy and tactics were solid, but my implementation was often not up to the task. I did feel at the end of my early to end season that the game was back on track. I hope to take that momentum forward this year.

I am the John Daly of amateur golf

A little of both. Some days I’m great at just letting go and using what I brought to the course that day. Other times…… it’s like my brain needs to map it out even though I have a large chance of not executing those maps often 😂

I don’t really think about strategy. Some of it is dependent on how I feel on the range. Other than that I just play my game and take what is available on the course.

I don't really plan ahead. I may think about what I'm working on before I hit the course, but I generally play each hole as I get to it.

Besides little things like taking the back of the green distance as my target on approaches Im a just let it fly player. See how the round is going, what im doing well that day and attack each hole based on that day’s confidence

Just turn up and play.

I play each hole as it comes.

If I am playing a new course for tge first time, I will look at the flyovers if available to get a lay of the land. Otherwise I’ll just hookup the saddle and

I start with a plan if I know the course. That plan can and usually does change depending on conditions and how well I am hitting that day.

I use the same basic stratagy wherever I play. Hit a good drive think par or birdie. Hit a bad drive don’t try to be a hero just get on the green and give myself one putt for par and two for bogey. This has kept me in the mid 80s the last three years.

Plan a strategy on a hole by hole basis during the round.
Usually this is me. But for new courses I’ll look up scorecards online and check out the course on Google Maps too, and think about an approach for the course and for holes.

I'll often play it both ways, whether for entire rounds or holes within a round. But generally, I play better when I enter a round with a plan. For tournaments, that's always my approach. Discipline prior helps me, wrt mental state, stay disciplined and committed to shots within a round.

But like others, if during a casual round I want/need to work on something in particular, or if I need to iron out my driver swing or whatever, I'll try to hit that particular club or shot as often as possible.

Move swift as the Wind and closely-formed as the Wood. Attack like the Fire and be still as the Mountain. Know yourself and you will win all battles. - Sun Tzu

Back