Do you try and “fix” things that aren’t broken?

Scott F

I Putter Around
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
In the never ending journey to become a better golfer, I’m always trying to improve. For example, I’d like to get my chips closer to the hole. I’m not a terrible chipper, but I’d like to be better. I saw a short game video by Phil Mickelson, obviously one of the best short game players ever. I tried to duplicate his “hinge and hold” technique. I practiced it a bit, tried it on the course with mixed results. I kept practicing it but kept getting worse. My short game the last two rounds could not have been much worse. I’m playing tomorrow so I went to the practice green to work on it some more. I’m not following Phil’s teaching very well. He breaks his wrists on the takeaway and makes it look easy but I can’t get the ball to fly the same every time. I switched back to my just shoulder turn chip and like magic, things got instantly better. So remember, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I have too many broken things to worry fixing the ones that ain't broke. I might spend time working to maintain what isn't broke.

I just shelved a driver setup that I was getting 80% fairways and about 15 more yards than last year with, in favor of something that might have a tiny bit more potential. As much as I'd like to say no to the thread title, the evidence says otherwise.

I get bored with things sometimes, and I'm always looking to get that little extra percent out of myself, my gear, and my game, so it does happen.

Yes & it goes well for a while then bang, it’s broken.
My natural ball flight with driver is a fade but I wanted a draw so I worked on drawing the ball. It works, for a while, the snap hooks all over the place. I’m back to fading a little more regular but man, it’s hard.

Much the same as what @charley48 posted, since everything about my game is somewhat broken I guess it's not the same. But yes, I have a history or looking for some holy grail of a swing that will make this game easier. What I end up with are swings that will work well for a finite amount of time. Since I have no idea what I'm doing right, when the swing goes to hell, I have no idea of how to fix it.

With the exception of this year, I've always looked to change something - which usually means starting from scratch. Currently, I'm really trying to keep what I have and accept the imperfections.

Like a lot of amateurs, I'm constantly "tinkering" with my golf game. That's just another way of me saying I'm constantly trying fix something that is already good enough, (aka) not really broken.

I also like the term " getting it dialed in". Same difference.

Phil is a feel player, no pun intended. His methods are going to be tough to copy if you don't have tremendous hands. His ball position keys and stance guides can be helpful, but the actual stroke is pretty handsy and tough to replicate.

I think that’s golf. Unless you’re working with a trained eye (lessons) then inevitably it’s human nature to to think we can just fix it ourself. Problem is, we usually fix the wrong thing, then ingrain that wrong fix, and then are hosed. :ROFLMAO:

Yes & it goes well for a while then bang, it’s broken.
My natural ball flight with driver is a fade but I wanted a draw so I worked on drawing the ball. It works, for a while, the snap hooks all over the place. I’m back to fading a little more regular but man, it’s hard.
This is me to a tee. I've always been a fade player, but am too stubborn to give up on playing a draw because it's just so beautiful.

I'd add in to not try to fix things you can't do easily or physically. FOr two years I've been chasing distance by creating lag.

Lots of lessons, videos, recording my swing, etc.

My wrists just don't work very well to create the traditional lag.

Gave up on it, and am hitting further than ever, by being free with the swing.

I’ve got enough to do trying to fix the things that are broken.

I try new things to see if they can improve around my short game, putting etc. I generally don't fool around too much with my full swing without a teacher in the mix.

I do try to fix things that aren't broken, and it almost invariably leads to them being even more broken.

This is the problem with my buddy. He is constantly doing something that he simply does not need and it never produces anything worthwhile for him. He will say, "Hey, I saw this tip and I think it will fix my problem." It is hard to get him to stop doing this. It doesn't lower his score.

I can usually get him back in line fairly quick, but he doesn't stay there long. Might get him back on track for a few holes and then he falls right back off. I think it is hard for him to discard those "tips and secrets" that clutter up his mind instead of focusing on the objective.

Not any more. Too often I tried something new for a while, it didn't work out, and I had the darnedest time getting back to what I had been doing.

I do not. In fact if something's working for me I purposely avoid even trying to understand why. I just keep doing it.

Too many times in my so-far short golf journey have I over-analyzed this-or-that and screwed myself up (further).

I'm a golf nerd. Of course I do.

Golf forums are bad for me as far as my golf bag. I was happy with my gear before I logged on here... :ROFLMAO:

After going through a LOT of clubs over the years, I stopped changing so much, and my game improved. A lot. I really have to remember this. :unsure:

Golf forums are bad for me as far as my golf bag.
THP was being bad for me in certain ways. Now I carefully pick and choose what I read.

I was happy with my gear before I logged on here... :ROFLMAO:
I suppose I'm probably not the ideal demographic for the golf industry ;), being as my clubs are better than twenty years old, and mostly knock-offs to boot, but they seem to work well enough for me. In fact the golfing neighbors to either side of me are somewhat envious of my clubs
lol.gif

I've a wedge and a driver on my list, and that's about all I plan to buy, other than balls, for the foreseeable future. And the driver, being a likely $250-$500 expense, is highly questionable.

Back