Do you use a chipper?

What is a chipper? 😂

I struggle with the number of clubs I have in my bag now.

A friend of mine has one and I tried it. My first thought was I don't need a second 7-iron or 8-iron. It is a marketing gimmick to convince the unskilled they need a specialized club to help themselves. B.S. Use a 7 or 8-iron. Practice with it. You'll be fine. A chipper won't make the game easier. Save 89.99 or whatever.

I have never tried one and not sure I could ever game one. I'd give it a whirl for kicks, but feel like I can do well enough without that specialized of a club taking a slot in the bag.

Question that I have for the folks who want more versatility in the bag, how much gains do you need to see to have it be worth a spot?

For example, @erock9174 was going from ballpark 25% up and down to over 45% so far. That is a huge gain!

Lets say you drop the 3 wood from the bag and are limited to a 5w/3H. To me, getting up and down at a 20% more clip is easily more valuable than the limitations of if I can only take 3hybrid off the tee or into long greens compared to a 3wood.

Obviously ones gains, and ability with other clubs vary. What would be your percent increase of up and downs to warrant dropping one of your other clubs from the bag?

One of my regular golf partners has one and I've tried it around the practice green. My chipping game is pretty good, so there's no need for one in my bag but I wouldn't give anyone grief for using it. He loves it. He can't chip. His problems are the fringe to 30 yard range.

I cashed in a lot of gift card money and got one of those smart sole chippers last week. Just had my first round of 9 after having practiced with it before. Gun to my head, I prefer my MIM 54 and my Cleveland 64 full face, but I definitely find it a fun club to have and great in AZ budget public courses because for rolling it up two tier, hard, greens.

The big issue really is the redundancy as others have said. I basically took out my 3 wood on this course today, turned my 5 wood down to a 4 wood loft, and ran a 50-54-64-chipper. I likely will take it out on days when I know the courses will be dry, but it's a really fun safety net for those really bad muddy gross lies.

I have one and use it often.
Bump and run when possible.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Question that I have for the folks who want more versatility in the bag, how much gains do you need to see to have it be worth a spot?

For example, @erock9174 was going from ballpark 25% up and down to over 45% so far. That is a huge gain!

Lets say you drop the 3 wood from the bag and are limited to a 5w/3H. To me, getting up and down at a 20% more clip is easily more valuable than the limitations of if I can only take 3hybrid off the tee or into long greens compared to a 3wood.

Obviously ones gains, and ability with other clubs vary. What would be your percent increase of up and downs to warrant dropping one of your other clubs from the bag?
I do know I’m more likely to use a chipper more than a 3 wood. I’d bet by process of considering pure distance from the hole the chipper saves more shots. Most of us likely aren’t more accurate from tee with 3 wood vs driver when considering distance lost.

My old man has a friend who uses one religiously pretty much from about 80 yards and in. He is absolutely lethal with it, makes the game much more enjoyable for him so absolutely fair enough!

My buddy used to use one and I shamed him into not having it in his bag 🤣

To me, this is worse than iron covers ;)

I thought I was a decent chipper of the ball. Last year I think I holed out with either a 56* or 60* maybe 6-7 times.
For a 9-10 capper that seemed pretty good to me. Seemed to get pretty close quite often.

But this year I was down to 13 clubs and after watching Crossfield's videos, said what the heck and picked up Cleveland Smart Sole 4.0 Dark Chipper.

According to Shot Scope:
2020- I got up and down
28% with a 60*
22% with my 64*

2021- I got up and down
22* with my GW
24% with my 56*
31.5% with my 60*
9% with my 64*

2022- So far I got up and down
47% with the Smart Sole C
24% with my 56*
so its definitely improved my up and down %.

Granted I did get a putter fitting in Jan and know I am also putting better. So its a is it a chicken or the egg thing.

I am going to stick with it. Seems like every round I get more dialed in with it.
If this isn't the perfect explanation on how to use Shot Scope and Data Tracking then I don't know what is.
I assume it's the 4C grind?

Last edited:
I don’t carry a chipper. I’ll use my 7-8 or whatever depending on the shot. For myself it would be used too infrequently. Also, the chipper I do have has quite a heavier head than the rest of my irons.

No, Typically, use a 50 if I am far off the green.

I don't use one, but I do have my father's old Texas Wedge. It is unlike any "chipper" I have seen and because he was deadly with it, I've often considered putting it in my bag. The head is about three inches long, maybe a little over an inch high, has about the loft of a 4i and no lines or grooves (reminding one more of a putter). He would use that thing from as far out as 25-30 yards and it would work like a charm on those hard baked, summer fairways here in North Texas.

I thought I was a decent chipper of the ball. Last year I think I holed out with either a 56* or 60* maybe 6-7 times.
For a 9-10 capper that seemed pretty good to me. Seemed to get pretty close quite often.

But this year I was down to 13 clubs and after watching Crossfield's videos, said what the heck and picked up Cleveland Smart Sole 4.0 Dark Chipper.

According to Shot Scope:
2020- I got up and down
28% with a 60*
22% with my 64*

2021- I got up and down
22* with my GW
24% with my 56*
31.5% with my 60*
9% with my 64*

2022- So far I got up and down
47% with the Smart Sole C
24% with my 56*
so its definitely improved my up and down %.

Granted I did get a putter fitting in Jan and know I am also putting better. So its a is it a chicken or the egg thing.

I am going to stick with it. Seems like every round I get more dialed in with it.
Now see... you had to go and make a strong case with data. Now I'm gonna have to pick one up and try it out. You owe me $120 if it doesn't help!;)

If this isn't the perfect explanation on how to use Shot Scope and Data Tracking then I don't what is.
I assume it's the 4C grind?
Yeah smart sole 4.0 C (dark finish)

@Iceman!
Here are some more Shot Scope metrics on my chipping.

A buddy and I were talking about my up and down stats and how that could be tied to my new putter as well.
He was asking if Shot Scope captured proximity to the hole by club. In the pc dashboard I was not seeing it, but there is a prox to hole by club in the phone app.

60* - 201 shots- 18' avg prox (CBX)
64* - 75 shots - 23' (Callaway Sure Out)

GW - 14 shots - 19' (i200)
56* - 88 shots -19' (CBX Full Face)
60* - 109 shots - 16' (felt really dialed in last year with my CBX Full Face)
64* - 21 shots - 29' (Sure Out)

Chipper - 15 shots - 13' (Smart Sole 4.0 C)
56* - 12 shots - 29' (Full Face)

Granted a small data set so far in 2022 (played about 11 total rds, logged 7 in Shot Scope but only included 4 for stats as the other 3 rds were in the 30-40* range and balls were plugging (not a fair representation for shot tracking, lol)
I still like where the chipper is trending though.

I find my Launcher Halo 7/9 irons make a pretty good “chipper”.

@Iceman!

A buddy and I were talking about my up and down stats and how that could be tied to my new putter as well.
He was asking if Shot Scope captured proximity to the hole by club. In the pc dashboard I was not seeing it, but there is a prox to hole by club in the phone app.

Granted a small data set so far in 2022 (played about 11 total rds, logged 7 in Shot Scope but only included 4 for stats as the other 3 rds were in the 30-40* range and balls were plugging (not a fair representation for shot tracking, lol)
That's a pretty solid difference in proximity for the chipper

I proudly use my Cleveland Smart Sole C. I never thought I would use one but I can tell you that i love mine.

@Iceman!

So your Chipper takes the place of an Attack Wedge in your bag - PW, Gap, Chipper, SW, LOB & SO?

So your Chipper takes the place of an Attack Wedge in your bag - PW, Gap, Chipper, SW, LOB & SO?
Not really. The way I usually setup my irons is I always go with a 44* or 45* PW and then a 49* or 50* which I call my AW, GW or DW.
So right now I have:
Driver (205 cutty one up to 245 on the long side)
5w (19*) - 180-200
5h 26* - 170-175, or can choke down an inch to make it 160-165
6-PW Altitude irons (150-115)
Smart Sole 50* as my Gap Wedge (100 yds)
56* Full Face (sand shots and 85 yd shots)
60* Full Face (75 yd shots)
64* Sure Out (60 yd shots
Chipper
Putter
So the chipper replaces where most would likely have a 3w a 2nd hybrid or a 5i. I don't launch a 3w high enough to justify carrying one, same with a 5i. Also the shaft is usually too long on a 3w and I just burn strokes duffing it same with a 5i.

If I end up adopting the Halo irons I will likely go:
Driver
5w
5h
6i-PW
Maybe the Halo DW and SW (would need to buy the 54* SW)
Smart Sole 58* (would need to buy this)
Sure Out 64*
Chipper
Putter
(but in today's testing I seem to hit the Smart Sole G better than the Halo Dw)
Or just stick with the Smart Sole 50* and leave my Full Face 56 and 60 in the bag.
Decisions, decisions o_O

Take this for what it's worth! (Posted in another forum also)

(IMO, Anyone who shoots regularly in 80's or higher should be using a Chipper!)

I have a single digit hdcp at my home course, and I use a Chipper, it's probably the 3rd most used club in my bag, behind my putter and driver.

I have been through it all with my golf game over the years, including the chip yips. I have tried all the techniques, usually with some success for a short amount of time. Using the bounce, Putting with irons, hybrids, etc, etc. I also have tried many Chippers over the years. Cleveland Niblick, putter styles, etc.

I currently use the mallet putter style and love it. I have two, but both are mallet putter style.

Honestly, I can still chip pretty decent/good without a Chipper. But, that being said, I am a great chipper using the Chipper. The crazy thing is I just went back to them two months ago, and my hdcp has dropped about 2 strokes. I believe the better golfer/chipper you are, the better you will be with a Chipper. Plus, if you are not a good chipper, you can become decent/good with a Chipper.

I play all the time with good players (70's, 80's Shooters) who cost themselves strokes around the green because they refuse to use a Chipper to help them. Especially the guys who shoot in the 80's. They make doubles and triples all the time from just around the green. They chunk it, thin it across, etc. etc. They may hit a good shot say 50 percent of the time and great shot every now and then. But all it takes is 1 or 2 doubles and you are not shooting in the 70's. A Chipper takes that score out of the equation for me, and many times still leaves birdie as an option. I have made more chips with a Chipper than I ever have with a regular club.

I admit, I usually hit lots of greens, 10+ or so a round, when I play golf. When I miss, it is usually not that far off the green, 10 to 20 yards at most, unless I just hit a terrible shot, or weather is a factor. But, when I miss a green, I know most times the worst score I going to get is a bogey. I might chip in for birdie, many times I get it inside 5 foot for a good par look, but almost always I get it into a position I can get down in two shots for bogey at worse.

I took out my 60 degree wedge, and just open my 54 degree wedge for lobs, sand, etc. Lets face it, 80's plus players probably should not be hitting lob wedges anyway. Very low percentage shot for them.

I am always preaching to the guys I play with about the advantages of a Chipper, and they will see it in person, yet they still won't buy in. Even testers on Youtube will test them and say how good they work, but then add that "they" would never use one. It's hilarious really. They pull it out for the first time and start hitting good shots with them without even practicing most times. Imagine what they could do with it after some practice.

Another thing that amazes me is guys will spend $500 on a Driver, $250 on a Putter, if they think it will make them better, but they won't spend less that $50 on a Chipper to make them better.

Like I said before, I prefer the mallet putter style Chippers over the Square Edge, or Cleveland style. I don't hit full shots with my Chipper. The longest shot I would hit would be a 50 yard bump and run with it, and I use it a lot for those type of bump and run shots on short par 4's and long par 5's. Especially in the wind. My main priority to to get the ball on the green, period.

The two Chippers I use are the Pinemeadow Chipper and the Acer Chipper. I chose them after testing many. The Pinemeadow is a little heavier and has less drag than the Acer. It also has an offset hosel vs the regular hosel for the Acer. They both are under $50!

They are also great for trouble shots under trees, punch outs, and windy or bad weather conditions. Plus, if you have a family, full time job, and only play once in a while, you don't have to practice much to use one very well. Remember I don't want to make anything higher than a bogey. You can make 7 bogeys and still shoot in the 70's!

I'll keep using my Chipper and taking the jabs from my buddies. It's always fun to Jab them back with a Chip in!

Once again, if you can't break 80, you are hurting yourself if you don't use a Chipper! (Just my my opinion)

Played with my chipper last night for giggles. Put four chips all within 6'. Keep that up and I might have to start thinking about what club to drop in the bag....

Back