Do you use the same club for all shots around the green?

OhioGolfer

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Weather
I personally use my 54 for probably 95% of my shots around the green. It's just the most comfortable shot for me and I've never been one to use an 8 iron bump and run or the 58 for high flops. What about you, do you have a go to club, or do you use different clubs for different shots?

I have a trade off of either a 56* or 6i depending on if I can bump & run

It depends on the amount of runout that I want, but it’s generally my 54 or 58. I’m with you, haven’t gotten comfortable with lower lofted irons or hybrids for chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my 54* the most but not always. Sometimes I use my pw or 60* depending on the situation.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I try to play my 54* , but if the chip has more than about 35 feet of green I will play a 50*, and more than about 50 feet I'll play a 46*.
For lob shots, which I try hard not to leave myself very often, I will play a 58*

Definitely a different club depending on the shot. If I've got to run it I love my 50*; if I've got to get it up and down fast I love my 54* or 58*

I use my 50* a lot for bump and runs, and the 58* for just about everything else.

The vast majority of the time I use my 50*, but not always. If I have to go over a bunker I will probably use my 60*, a ball just off the front of the green (fairway or collar) to a back pin I will likely use a 7 or 8 iron instead of putting or trying to fly it to the back with a wedge.

I have 3 wedges, but find constantly switching back and forth leads to inconsistency for me. I've gotten to where I almost always use my PXG PW around the green and I've gotten very good with it. Occasionally, if I need to drop a ball close to the hole and don't have a lot of green to work with, I'll use my 60 degree Mack Daddy - especially if I'm on an uphill lie or in deeper grass.

I'll use any cub in my bag except the driver depending on the situation.

I use my 58* a majority of the time, but I used to switch between that and my 54* more often depending on the shot I needed to hit. I don't know if it was a confidence thing or a habit that suddenly developed, but now I sort of want to mix it up more again.

Generally I go 50. However, it's been so dry here all summer that I've started to use a 55 more often.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Different clubs for different situations.

Negative. My putter, 4h, SW, and LW all get frequent use around the green. I've even been known to bring out the 3wd from time to time if necessary.

Inside 30 yds? Yes. I use a 56. I have left the sand wedge around the green before. If I leave the 8 iron or even a pitching wedge and someone doesn't return it I'll need to buy a new set of irons. If they don't turn in the sand wedge I'm only out the money to grab a used SW. So it's more pragmatic than a golf reason.

Two weeks ago I left my SW next to the bunker on the 8th hole. I waited for the following group on 9 and asked if they'd found a stray club near the green on 8. They said, "No." I drove back to 8, ran into someone I'd played with earlier. He didn't find one. I got to 8, no club. I checked with the pro shop in the morning. The previous group had lied and decided to flip it on e-bay for $80. That's what they're going for. It was part of my set. Given the area and the quality of people it's not surprising. Luckily I found a replacement of a demo club at a golf store and bought it for $45. My set is 4 years old and stuff is hard to find now.

Nope I'll use many clubs. Easier to figure out one swing with many clubs than many swings with one club.

From close to the green, I might use anything from a 9 iron down through my 60 degree. If I go out to 50 or 75 yards, the 8 through 6 could come into play as well. I try to play the most "idiot-proof" shot. If I have 75 yards into a small green, protected to the sides and rear by water/bunkers, with a swirling wind above, I don't particularly want to launch a gap wedge up there. Assuming there aren't extreme elevation changes between me and the green, I'll grab a 6 or 7 iron and run it up there the whole way.

If the fringe and run off areas are smooth and closely mown I will putt. Otherwise I generally use my 58* LW and Phil Mickelson’s “chipping 101” methodology to bring it in high or low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my 50/54/58 all about the same, they all have different uses for different situations.

My 52 comes with me 90% of the time.

I use everything from a putter to a 5 iron and everything in between. It depends on pin placement, carry to green, run out, and undulation of green. Chipping is probably the strongest part of my game.

I used to use the same wedge all the time. At that point, I only had enough practice hours to have touch with that one club and one or two types of shots. As my wedge game has progressed and I have a lot more practice hours behind me I now use anything from the putter, all the wedges and irons through a 7-iron, and occasionally other clubs. But that takes time. No one should feel bad if they use fewer clubs or do something different. When you are playing it's all about giving yourself the best chance to get it close to the hole.

Last edited:
No I use all kinds of clubs around the green.

Back