Do your scores correlate with your "Stats"?

Spivey

Reaction score
Handicap
7.6 GHIN
Curious to find out -

If you hit a certain number of fairways in regulation (FIR) and/or hit a certain number of greens in regulation (GIR)....

What are your score expectations?

Eg: Tiger hit 9/13 FIR today, yet still shot -7. I am pretty sure that I could hit every fairway and not shoot -7.

So, if you want to break 90/80/75/70, what is your FIR & GIR expectations?

Depends on where the ball ended up. If it's in the fairway fringe its considered a missed fairway. So he could have been on that fringe or second cut as some would say and still have a decent lie.

Well I avg 11/14 fairways and 9/18 GIR. I have a aiming problem.

My scores rarely correlate with my ball striking stats (FWs hit/GIR) but usually come in line with others (# of penalty strokes/putting). If I have a good day putting and don't lose any balls, I will probably be in the low 80s. If I struggle putting I am in the high 80s/low 90s. If I am losing balls and it isn't a great day putting I am hoping to keep it in single digits.

If I by some miracle I actually hit the ball well and putt well then I might break 80 (only happened once).

For me, 100% correlation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I wouldn't necessarily say fairways and greens but simply that when my ball striking gets me on or (as in most cases) at least fairly near the greens in only 2 strokes then those are the rounds I normally score my best. Of course that's assuming my greenside play and putting are at least respectable for that round. I suppose as another mentioned it seems to basically correlate mostly with penalty strokes and errant shots or at least general (for better or worse) ball striking success (or lack of). When that happens I do tend to hit a lot of fairways. Greens I will hit more of but still nothing to brag about.

I hit plenty of FiRs but my GIRs need to drastically improve for me to score well and then i need to hit it closer to the hole

The stats don't match up to my scores if I look at Fairways hit, but I am more likely to score better if my GIR's are pretty good. Being a pretty decent putter that means I have more birdie opportunities. Missing a fairway is far more dependent on where the miss is. Some missed fairways, even by a wide margin, can still leave an open shot to the green while others that just miss the fairway can end up behind a tree and leave nothing but a chip out as a result. A lot also depends on how good
my short game is on a given day and where I miss the green (short sided?).

So, bottom line, if I were to list my stats for several rounds I doubt that you would be able to guess my scores.

Last edited:
I think my score only correlates to my stats less then 50% of the times if I had to guess. My goal is always to break 80, sometimes the stats line up. Most of the time only parts of my game show up on the same day. I may hit over 70% of FIR and over 50% of GIR and my short game disappears. Then other times I may hit 40% of FIR and can't buy a GIR and my short game is on fire. I try to look at it as a positive and that one of these days I'll get it all together are start going low consistently.

If you look at my stats there's no way you think I score like I do. Bc of my low GIR I've learned to scramble and keep my scores respectable.

Thanks - these are the pieces of info that I am looking for.

So, is there any stat (other than penalty strokes) that you can measure or keep track of that correlates with what your final score is?

I stopped keeping detailed stats about a year or so ago because I was playing to a stat instead of playing golf. It didn't work out that well because I got worse. I'm thinking about starting with stats in 2017....

JM

I have a very strong correlation. My lowest scores are often "boring golf"...lots of unspectacular fairways and greens being hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a very strong correlation. My lowest scores are often "boring golf"...lots of unspectacular fairways and greens being hit.

I love playing "boring golf"! When that happens I know I'm scoring pretty well.

Thanks - these are the pieces of info that I am looking for.

So, is there any stat (other than penalty strokes) that you can measure or keep track of that correlates with what your final score is?

For me it's my FIR and total putts. My putts can be misleading because I count every time I use my putter regardless if it's on the green or off.

My lowest score this year was a 77 and I hit a high amount of fairways and kept my putts under 30.

I have a strong correlation especially when it comes to GIRs. Anytime I have GIRs above 60% I score in the high 70s, Anything in 30% range I'm shooting 82-84. Oddly though my FIRs don't follow the same correlation. I don't think I have ever had more than a 50% FIR for a round, weird!

For me it is not really how many FIR I hit but the GIR. When I hit them I make a lot more pars and have better scores.

Some stats are more important than others. There have been studies done of pros and of regular folks like us and some stats corrolate to scores better than others. Of the two you listed, GIR is generally a better indicator than FIR. However, neither would be on the top 5 list of stats that tend to have the best corrolation. Everything I've said is across a large population of players and courses. There are always exceptions. For example, if you play Bethpage Black right after they've held a U.S. Open there, I'll guarantee you FIR will have more importance and corrolation to your scoring than usual. The way they grow the fescue for a U.S. Open is insane!

FIR/GIR are pretty much the only stats overall that correlates with my score. For 2016 vs. 2015, I hit 4% more GIR this year than last year. FIR was also up by 3%, but putts per hole was the same. Handicap went from 9.8 to 7.2 this year. I focus more on GIR than FIR, to be honest, because I'm an aggressive player and don't hit a ton of fairways under any circumstances, but my length allows me to have shorter clubs into greens when hitting driver.

Some stats are more important than others. There have been studies done of pros and of regular folks like us and some stats corrolate to scores better than others. Of the two you listed, GIR is generally a better indicator than FIR. However, neither would be on the top 5 list of stats that tend to have the best corrolation. Everything I've said is across a large population of players and courses. There are always exceptions. For example, if you play Bethpage Black right after they've held a U.S. Open there, I'll guarantee you FIR will have more importance and corrolation to your scoring than usual. The way they grow the fescue for a U.S. Open is insane!

What are some of the other stats that correlate w better scores? I don't keep track of too many major stats other than FIR, GIR, putts/round, penalties and bunker shots per round.

I stopped keeping detailed stats about a year or so ago because I was playing to a stat instead of playing golf. It didn't work out that well because I got worse. I'm thinking about starting with stats in 2017....

JM

Interesting.

I never think about any stats while playing, only looking back. I honestly could not tell you off the top of my head, during a round, if I had any one putts, three putts, or if I was hitting greens!

Fairways usually don't have an impact on my score. GIR, up/down and putts have way more influence.

I don't think my FIR and GIR correlates. When I am chipping and putting good my score will be lower. When I shot my PB 77 this year, I was only 9/14 FIR and 11/18 GIR, but is was chipping really close and had a lot of one putts.
There have been several times this year where I have hit 12 FIR 10-12 GIR and score wasn't that good because the putter failed me.

I don't think there is any correlation to one stat. For me how I play par 5's is the thing I pay most attention to. If I can play the par 5's in even or under par that usually correlates to a low round.

Last edited:
Something else I should add, I generally don't put too much stock into my stats unless one is glaringly bad. I'm still improving almost every part of my game, so the one stat I pay the most attention to is where I'm missing FIR or GIR's (left, right, short, long) and make adjustments accordingly.

FIR doesn't necessarily correlate to GIR for me. But low FIR rarely results in high GIR for me.

To break 80, I need to hit greens. It's the key to my game, and not a strength of my game.

Back