Dodged a Bullet Yesterday!

NEhomer

Reaction score
Handicap
Cripes, I had a ladder accident. I'm usually so careful but I was placing some graphics high up the wall of my classroom and had to use an extension ladder. It had rubber feet and the floor was tiled. I applied the first graphic about 11ft high and then for the other to fit, I pulled the bottom feet away from the wall instead of collapsing its length as I should have.

The rung I was on was probably about 6 or 7 feet off the ground when the feet slid away from the wall and the ladder began to slip down the wall. It was clear that I was going down but I was able to jump away from the ladder landing hard on my left foot and then hitting the floor.

I got a severe sprain and had to ice it and hobble around but I'm feeling incredibly fortunate to not have broken any bones and to not be in a foot cast for a few weeks in the heart of the season. It still hurts but it's much improved this morning. Not sure if I'll make tomorrow's afternoon tee time but heck, even if I was to miss a week, I still feel very fortunate...and very stupid of course but mostly fortunate that my stupid didn't cost me more!

Damn that sucks. I get the same mentality where I'm too lazy to get off the ladder to move or adjust it and instead try to shimmy it over some haha thankfully no issues with that but I should be more careful

Rest and ice it, hopefully you'll be back climbing in no time

Another one to add to the list of the thousands of reasons I hate ladders.

Super lucky, dad was laid up from doing a jump off a ladder get some rest and NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! haha

Glad you survived your fall without serious injury. Rest, and get well.

In all my years building stuff, ladder accidents were the #1 safety issue, just in front of saw cuts.

Like you said, could have been a lot worse. I fell off a ladder about a month ago while in the garage but managed to catch and hang onto the rails of the garage door about 10 feet off the ground. My son saw it happen and told my wife I fell off the ladder. Wife was not happy with my carelessness.

Yikes! Glad it didn’t turn out worse!

Like you said, could have been a lot worse. I fell off a ladder about a month ago while in the garage but managed to catch and hang onto the rails of the garage door about 10 feet off the ground. My son saw it happen and told my wife I fell off the ladder. Wife was not happy with my carelessness.
That's right out of Christmas Vacation.

Glad you are OK! That is one of my fears - my gutters are 20 feet up and my ladder setup is pretty shaky leaning against the house with me that far up. I feel like I'm playing roulette every time.

Happy to hear no serious injuries. Hope your foot improves so you can get out on the course.

Glad everything turned out as good as it did for you! Rest up and get better soon man!

Glad you are OK! That is one of my fears - my gutters are 20 feet up and my ladder setup is pretty shaky leaning against the house with me that far up. I feel like I'm playing roulette every time.
Flat out "Nope" on that for Hammy.

glad you're not seriously hurt. Next time have a helper hold the ladder for you.(y)

Remember when you were just a kid and if the ladder fell you just jumped, tucked and rolled?

Yeah, those days are gone. I'd tuck and never untuck.

Good that the damage is minimal. I had a client that broke his foot falling off a ladder - shattered his heel. Out of work and everything else for almost a year. Pins immobilization the works. I am not a ladder fan myself I try to be insanely careful (as result of that shattered heel).

Just for reference for everyone 4:1 rule for every 4’ the ladder is up the wall you should have it off the wall of 1’ at the base.

Mine aren't that high but I've reached a point in life that that's a chore worth paying someone else to do. Plus, I don't use up golf time to do it!

@NEhomer, mighty glad it wasn't worse. You'll be back soon.

Thanks for the well wishes folks. Like I said, I'm generally very careful with ladders and anytime I'm going up high, I'll stake the bottom feet of the ladder to the ground but I'm always outside.

This was literally the first time I'd ever used an extension ladder indoors and of course the feet never slip back away from the base when they're on the ground. I wasn't going very far up so I failed to give the situation the level of critical thought that I should have and that I normally do.

I'm walking with a bit of a limp still but I definitely didn't break anything. I may have to take a cart but I might be able to play tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm very careful with ladders ever since a friend lost his life falling off one while fixing his son's basketball hoop, of all things.

Another one to add to the list of the thousands of reasons I hate ladders.
Ladders make my palms get so sweaty. Hat climbing them.

Glad you are okay. Lesson learned.

Good to hear you are OK.

Standing on my roof a few years back, I stepped onto a ladder with one foot and it slid out. I went right over and fell maybe 10 feet landing square with my back on the rail of our deck. Between that and a Tetons backcountry jump ski crash in the early 2000's, which included hitting a tree, my back does not function with fully normal parameters. In cold wet weather it gets worse. And between both, I consider myself lucky that the outcomes weren't worse. Scary stuff, worth avoiding. The old ladder spotter drill is worthy. (y)

Back