Does Operating Cost Dictate Your Car Purchase?

What benefits does a truck bring you? I considered one once, but I couldn't think for the life of me what it would be good for. I don't regularly carry lumber or tools, I don't own a boat (which could also be hauled with an SUV,) and I've always found them to be quite cumbersome in regards to getting in and out, and ride quality.

Typically if you don't need one you don't really need one, so to speak. Most SUV's tow about 5000lbs or less. To get into higher tow ratings there's really only a few like the Chevy Tahoe (or that family) or Ford Expedition etc.

Most midsize trucks will tow 6500lbs or thereabouts

Sometimes the bed is more useful than putting the seats down in an SUV for storage purposes.

The ride is usually gonna be stiffer for sure. Unless you get like a Canyon Denali or Ridgeline. I have a Taco Pro with Duractracs and you don't buy it for the highway driving LOL

People love their trucks. Have you seen how many new trucks are on the road these days? (in the city, and out on the freeways)

I don't see people giving-up their trucks just because someone decided to cap the pipelines.

If fuel cost is a concern then cut back in other areas in terms of budget.

Have not seen any cars or suv's with a 5th-wheel attachment either, so there's that......

For a car in my budget I would say no. I have to use Premium gas now which is a higher expense but whatever. If it were cars outside of my budget like say a Ferrari or Lambo, etc. then the cost of ownership is silly to me. Having to drop the engine every x years for service seems dumb. Also specific tires and so on and so on. Then you shouldn't even really drive them because of mileage and depreciation. I don't get it. 🤷‍♂️

So neighborhood roads then?

Basically yes, I own a farmette with 2 horses so i need to tow a decent amount (plus move hay and horse crap occasionally --much better to do that in an open box).

Plus a lot of country roads around here so to speak, so big bulky tires with sidewall are nice especially in the winter or in-between periods where potholes or icewalls are really bad.

Not to mention when plows don't do the streets and i've got knee deep snow.

Not really. Although my next truck will be a hybrid or all electric. That is about the only thing that appeals to me.

I think about insurance and maintenance costs. I drive a lot, but fuel economy doesn't really bother me.

Yes. I really wanted and Audi All Road. Instead I got a Subaru Outback Touring Edition.

Generally no. I generally buy what I like to drive and don’t worry about it too much. I do keep my cars for a pretty long time so maybe I should think about it more but I don’t.

Yes and No. I think I factor reliability and ease of access to parts/service. I drive a big ole pickup so tires, oil changes (8 quarts), and so on will cost you. On that same token I know the 5.3 V8 in my truck should last a LONG time, and maintenance on a Silverado should be easy to find someone qualified for it and parts plentiful.

What benefits does a truck bring you? I considered one once, but I couldn't think for the life of me what it would be good for. I don't regularly carry lumber or tools, I don't own a boat (which could also be hauled with an SUV,) and I've always found them to be quite cumbersome in regards to getting in and out, and ride quality.
Higher ride, both for personal use and for when I'm off road, we have a cabin that is 11 miles and change down an old logging road, and that's before you turn into the driveway which is another almost 1/2 mile of untamed wilderness - that kind of stuff. Highlander can get there, kind of, car's you need to park on the logging road and hike in the half mile. Tools and wild game also go in the back, or used to - same with tree's for the holiday season (yes, you CAN put them on top of a roof rack, but you can also put them in a bed).

They are not great city drivers, you're absolutely right but I don't really live in a city - my address puts me in one town but out of that towns school district. I do need to drive into town most days for work, but I pay for monthly parking so I have my own spot. (If I didn't pay for parking, I would need to ride the bus - which I did for 14 months until parking opened up it's hard to get over where I am)

I'm tall enough, so I don't like to fall into my vehicle, I like the added seat heights that trucks have compared to the floor boards (not sure if that's as true now as it used to be in the 2000's)

If I didn't do anything outdoorsy I don't think I would care as much, but I do and with 2 littles I hope to continue it on with them so we will get back to the truck. I hope for scouts, being able to throw dirty uniforms or pads into the bed, carry around muddy stuff just all those things that I grew up with.

Yes, definitely.
I have a Tesla M3, and it is not really the cost of fuel, which I do save significantly, now that the gas prices are so much higher, but general maintenance.
There is no oil change, no brake pad change in the near future, hence no down time. For me this is more important.
Also, not having to get gas during the pandemic, and instead charge at home was an unexpected benefit for going electric.
And I drive a lot due to my work.

Yes, yes, yes!!! I’ve been in the automotive industry for about 15+ years and that’s a huge impact on ownership. This is mostly for my wife as she leases her vehicles. But I always tell her to see if it take 91+ octane, and do research on the other maintenance for the vehicle

The only operating cost that gets a consideration is the reliability of the car. I don't keep cars usually more then 3-5 years. Gas, tires, oil changes and other regular maintenance don't even get a thought.

For my commuter - Yes. Since I commute close to 80mi/day, reliability and operating costs are number 1.
For my fun car - Not even a little
For my Truck - Yes, but not nearly the same level as my commuter

Yeah, I am now watching what I am spending money on.

We bought a gas saver car due to our many road trips. 48-50 mpg freeway driving. Nothing fancy. Just a little Kia Forte.

I went in for the 20K oil change. $39. The service writer at the dealership told me it would be a total of $299.00. That they need to check other things on the car, plus rotate the tires. I paid it. Also that at 30K the cost would be $399.00. They haven't seen the car since the $299 service.

We needed room up in northern NV for an up coming golf tournament. Found a nice place for $89 a night for two nights. The guy taking my reservation at the very end tells me the final total is $358.00 which included resort fees, and taxes. I continued my search.

A person has to check on everything they purchase these days. Hidden, and extra fees are every where.

For my commuter - Yes. Since I commute close to 80mi/day, reliability and operating costs are number 1.
For my fun car - Not even a little
For my Truck - Yes, but not nearly the same level as my commuter
What is your commuter car?

Higher ride, both for personal use and for when I'm off road, we have a cabin that is 11 miles and change down an old logging road, and that's before you turn into the driveway which is another almost 1/2 mile of untamed wilderness - that kind of stuff. Highlander can get there, kind of, car's you need to park on the logging road and hike in the half mile. Tools and wild game also go in the back, or used to - same with tree's for the holiday season (yes, you CAN put them on top of a roof rack, but you can also put them in a bed).

They are not great city drivers, you're absolutely right but I don't really live in a city - my address puts me in one town but out of that towns school district. I do need to drive into town most days for work, but I pay for monthly parking so I have my own spot. (If I didn't pay for parking, I would need to ride the bus - which I did for 14 months until parking opened up it's hard to get over where I am)

I'm tall enough, so I don't like to fall into my vehicle, I like the added seat heights that trucks have compared to the floor boards (not sure if that's as true now as it used to be in the 2000's)

If I didn't do anything outdoorsy I don't think I would care as much, but I do and with 2 littles I hope to continue it on with them so we will get back to the truck. I hope for scouts, being able to throw dirty uniforms or pads into the bed, carry around muddy stuff just all those things that I grew up with.
Everything you just said, with the exception of wild game and trees, screams Range Rover to me. It's a proper utility vehicle

The only operating cost that gets a consideration is the reliability of the car. I don't keep cars usually more then 3-5 years. Gas, tires, oil changes and other regular maintenance don't even get a thought.
I'm with you here. I don't want a car that's going to spend half its life in the shop

Reliability is a factor. Maintenance costs are what they are.

I'm 6'4. The only time in the near future that I'll have something other than a big SUV or truck is if I go off on a lark and buy a convertible.

Operating cost does affect my decision now..... Going back a bunch of years, i decided i really wanted land rover Discovery II. Got a great deal on it (new) and it was a really nice vehicle if not a bit underpowered.... it was comfy, i liked the driving position, the handling and it was awesome off-road (actually took it off road in some fairly sporty conditions).
However, scheduled maintenance - like several hundred dollars a trip - and (god forbid) non-scheduled service on the vehicle was ridiculous. Now i know where the phrase "gird your loins" came from :ROFLMAO: I will never own another of their vehicles again although, damn if that new Defender isn't a nice vehicle. Nope. Never again.

The Disco II was totaled in a head on collision (my wife and son were in the car). Thankfully, not their fault and the car did its job in the collision....there were no injuries despite an incredible amount of damage. Bought a Chevy Tahoe and nearly kissed the service manager at the first scheduled maintenance which ran like..... $49 bucks, if i recall? Never looked back.

I pretty much only look at predicted reliability and gas mileage. My commute is about 60mi daily so while it's not huge I don't want something getting 18mpg. Put me in something that's around 26 and I"m happy. My wife on the other hand drives 60k miles a year as she does in home window sales. I couldn't talk her into a hybrid so we got a Rogue that gets her about 34mpg.

It comes into play for my wife and I. I will look at fuel economy and cost of maintenance prior to buying.

Back