Draw bias on driver with tape

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
Looking thru the Cleveland Launcher HB driver thread today I saw a post about no adjustments, either loft + or -, & sliding weights for draw & fade bias. Poster said to add draw bias, put lead tape on the sole toward the toe. I thought to use lead tape for a draw bias, add tape to the sole on the heel side.

Which is it?

I believe it would be towards the heel...but it would take a lot of lead tape.

It'll take a lot of lead tape applied to the heel -- probably not feasible.

Dave

It'll take a lot of lead tape applied to the heel -- probably not feasible.

Dave
Maybe so Dave. I put a 2.5" strip of lead tape on the heel side of the sole of my HB driver. Added almost a swing weight. I Don't seem to hit as many fades now. Its probably the placebo effect, not enough weight to actually negate the fade, but if I think it reduces a fade I put better swing therefore reducing the fade. LOL

The easiest way to think about where to place tape on the heel or toe is to remember that what you're doing is trying to make that part heavier so it moves slower than the other side.

If you place tape on the heel: As the face rotates, the heel will move slower than the toe so the toe can turn over through the ball giving you the draw bias.
Opposite is true for the toe: As the face rotates, the toe will move slower than the heel so the face will open up and give you a fade bias.

On the heel for a draw.

If it was my post it said I put some lead tape at the back and out toward the toe to take out some of the right to left tendency (draw bias) I was experiencing. An added bonus was it also brought the swing weight up a bit too which felt better.

Last edited:
Back