Draw by upright lie angle or by back weight?

Barnum1

Reaction score
Handicap
What is the difference between getting draw from changing lie angle more upright vs. moving a back weight more to the heel?

On my Paradym driver I can do both.

Thanks!

Hard to know without seeing your swing but for the most part I would strongly suggest changing weights rather than adjusting a club more upright.

Moving more weight to the heel will slow the heel and help the toe of the club square up faster.

A more upright lie angle will point the face further left which will help tilt the spin axis further to the left.

Club fitters and manufacturers have unnecessarily used more upright lie angles. The problem is you could be steep on the downswing and have a high handle at impact and going more upright could just make that swing fault worse because eventually you will adjust to the more upright lie angle. I see it as a trick to get slicers to buy clubs, but they are bound to eventually adjust and slice just as bad as they did before.

My best advice to hit a draw without adjusting the club is to make sure your shoulders are closed to the target and move the ball back in your stance. 2 balls or so inside your front heel

@XXXStiffBoi Thanks for the insight. So upright lie will be a "static" change and weight towards the heel a "dynamic" change.
I need to experiment what's best for me, but that's the interesting thing with adjustable drivers.

Just a little background: I'm an in-to-out swinger and with my old PING SFT (R-flex) I got a nice push-draw at best (and way left or block at worst).
With my new Paradym (stiff flex), I get a very consistent push with almost no curve. Last round almost all my drives were 5 yards into the right semi rough.
So I need either a small draw or start the ball a few more degrees left.

Aim the clubface halfway between where you want the ball to start out and where you want it to finish. Regrip. Swing down the start line.

Yep, I could do that. But I'm a bit anxious to change aim by changing the grip (or rather closing the club face at address).
Then, again changing lie angle is in effect the same thing...

Yep, I could do that. But I'm a bit anxious to change aim by changing the grip (or rather closing the club face at address).
Then, again changing lie angle is in effect the same thing...
Its the easiest way in the world to work the ball either way. Requires absolutely no swing change, just a clubface orientation change.

Yep, you're right @1860VS
It's just something about looking at a slighter closed club head at address.
But maybe an upright lie angle will do that too.

It's all in my head of course, golf is a psychology game :)

@XXXStiffBoi Thanks for the insight. So upright lie will be a "static" change and weight towards the heel a "dynamic" change.
I need to experiment what's best for me, but that's the interesting thing with adjustable drivers.

Just a little background: I'm an in-to-out swinger and with my old PING SFT (R-flex) I got a nice push-draw at best (and way left or block at worst).
With my new Paradym (stiff flex), I get a very consistent push with almost no curve. Last round almost all my drives were 5 yards into the right semi rough.
So I need either a small draw or start the ball a few more degrees left.
Well my post might not apply here. The Ping SFT has a more upright lie angle of 58.5 while the Paradym is 57

The beauty of a club that’s adjustable…. Get to the range and get to work! It seems you know what the different settings “should” do, so give them a shot and see how they work with your swing.

PS: I’ve found the “D” (draw) setting to work well for me in the more recent Callaway lineups.

Have fun testing!

Lie angle with a lower lofted club like a driver doesn’t matter, or change direction of ball flight nearly as much as changing the lie angle of a wedge or short iron. From 100 yards with a SW that is 2º “off” in lie angle you will miss your target by 6 yards. With a driver off the same 2º, you will only miss your target at 280 yards by a few yards.

Its the easiest way in the world to work the ball either way. Requires absolutely no swing change, just a clubface orientation change.
I change my grip position multiple times a round off the tee now that I have a consistent swing path. Trouble left, weaken my grip a bit, trouble right strengthen it up a bit.

Paradym is flatter than previous Callaway offerings. At ECPC we used lie angle to get the ball to start out further left, and you can use the weight in the back to tune in the curve you want to see. In the standard setting, everything was starting right of where I wanted. Using the D setting got that more on line and left.

Moving the weights changes the ball flight by changing the center of gravity. It can impact the flight but not the biggest factor.

Face to path relationship is the biggest and strike location with driver will effect it as well. Hitting on the heel side will promote more fade and towards the toe more draw.

Back