Drill for not hitting down on ball with driver

McKillian

Reaction score
Lanna-Drevviken, Stockholms Lan, Sweden, Sweden
Handicap
Went to try out the new Cleveland drivers on a trackman monitor today. Was very imressed by increase in SS, but still hitting way too steep on the ball with driver.

SS avg: 107 mph
Launch angle: sub 1o degrees
Carry:210-220 meters
Spinn: ridoncolus.....

I want to bottom out the swing arc sooner so I catch the ball on the way up, but I still want to push with hips for power. Any suggestions? Is this making any sense;-)?

I have the same problem looking forward to the answer.

It is fine to push with the hips. What you need to watch is where is your head at impact. If it is moving forward or too far forward you will hit down on the ball. Next time you go out to the range swing to the top and stop. DO you feel your weight getting into your right side? I hope so. Now on your down swing try to stay back on your right side just a touch longer than normal. Staying behind the ball with the driver is a must. Work on Hanging back a touch longer and you will start to hit up on the ball.

This is my second year of golf. Late last year I started recording video of myself. While I'm no expert, I can actually see where the problems are. My swing now is improved with my swing path, head (mine, not the club) location, stance, ball location. The video clearly shows why my ball is going as far as I can throw it. I'm not rotating my hips, legs are out of whack and my "body turn" is nil. I'm about as flexible as a 2x12. I started stretching a few weeks ago using the P90X stretch video and whalla, things are getting more fluid, I don't feel like I'm "bunching up" on the back swing and I don't need to swing as hard. I did get a good analysis last year on a plethora of problems from a full lesson (video, angle drawings, etc) and it was just overwhelming. I broke it down to things I can work on over the winter in my home. First time on computer last week showed 133 ball speed, 260-270 yard drives and a nice draw. I'm an engineer so all of this is fascinating to me. I have 10 more lessons from Rabito Academy coming up and I can't wait!!!

It is fine to push with the hips. What you need to watch is where is your head at impact. If it is moving forward or too far forward you will hit down on the ball. Next time you go out to the range swing to the top and stop. DO you feel your weight getting into your right side? I hope so. Now on your down swing try to stay back on your right side just a touch longer than normal. Staying behind the ball with the driver is a must. Work on Hanging back a touch longer and you will start to hit up on the ball.

Thank you. I´ll try that. I did try hanging back a bit last year and focus on standing a bit longer on my right foot but had a tendency to slice the ball. I´ll try and focus more on the head-position this time. Thing is I CAN hit the ball up in the air but I loose a ton of power and tend to get "chickenwings" with my arms when I do it.

I´ll hit the range a bit more with an old driver so I don´t start to cry when I Sky the ball:D

Back