Drills to help scoop

kuyaariel

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello. Finally recorded my swing again. Needs lots of help, but this is what I'm most unhappy with. Any drills or tips on how to eliminate this scoop position?Screenshot_20201224-212435_Video Player.jpg

Hello. Finally recorded my swing again. Needs lots of help, but this is what I'm most unhappy with. Any drills or tips on how to eliminate this scoop position?View attachment 8983394
An impact bag is a relatively inexpensive way to work on keeping the hands in front at impact.

Reactions: mig
One drill I use to keep from scooping is hitting short swing shots where I make a concentrated mental effort on keeping my hands in front of club head at impact.

It's a 1/2 way back, to 1/2 way forward swing, where I give myself the sensation of dragging the club head behind my hands through the impact zone. I've actually dragged the club head on the turf to feel this sensation better.

Another drill I use is what I believe is called the "Pump Drill". From the top of my swing, I bring the club down, holding my wrist cock, until my hands are even with the ball. From that position, still holding my wrist cock, I swing back up to the top, and repeat. You Tube has some good videos on this "Pump Drill"..

Cover the ball with the palm of your trail hand

Think about releasing the club about 3 feet in front of the ball

Hard to tell just what you're doing wrong with that one still shot.

Setup with your trail foot toe on the ground and heel up and put your weight on the left side. This puts your weight on the left side. Take half swings while NOT letting your trail heel touch the ground. Stops the ‘reverse pivot’ and tendency to try and scoop it.

Get rid of the scoop by considering the sole of the club and the butt end of the handle. Make sure these two are going in the same direction as the clubhead goes through the ball. In the photo in your post, you can see that the clubhead is heading left, but the end of the handle has reversed its direction and gone to the right. When you get this move right, it almost feels like you are dragging the clubhead through the ball, though you are not. It will also feel like your hands are way ahead of the clubhead, when they are really only a few inches ahead.

Hello. Finally recorded my swing again. Needs lots of help, but this is what I'm most unhappy with. Any drills or tips on how to eliminate this scoop position?View attachment 8983394
I bet I could trace this all the way back to a bad SetUp, then a poor turn back, open face, and this is your way to square up the club face. Otherwise you wouldn’t be able to hit the ball.

And it’s totally normal and what you need to do to hit it straight.

You have two options

1. Start at the root cause and fix that then the scoop will go away over time because you’ll make fewer compensations.
2. Put a bandaid on the scoop and add complexity.

Unless you fix the SetUp, trying to fix the scoop without starting at the root cause will be a colossal waste of time.

Get rid of the scoop by considering the sole of the club and the butt end of the handle. Make sure these two are going in the same direction as the clubhead goes through the ball. In the photo in your post, you can see that the clubhead is heading left, but the end of the handle has reversed its direction and gone to the right. When you get this move right, it almost feels like you are dragging the clubhead through the ball, though you are not. It will also feel like your hands are way ahead of the clubhead, when they are really only a few inches ahead.

heres a couple swings

heres a couple swings

It looks like you're taking the club way inside and flat, and then you come over the top to square it up like I mentioned. You also have quite a bit of 'handle pull' where you are using your upper body to heave the club down at the ball instead of using your pivot down properly.

Back