Driver / 3 Wood Shaft Questions

Generally people go up in shaft weight as the club get shorter to maintain similar feel. It is not a hard rule but a general one.

It is not certain as said that if a shaft works for you in your driver it will be the best fit in fairway woods either. But it will probably work ok at worst.

I pay a 70 gram driver shaft and a 70 gram fairway wood shaft. It works just fine. I am considering going down to a 69 gram driver shaft as lighter seems to be the trend and it just takes a little less effort.

What you are asking is almost exactly what I have. I play UST Gunmetal 6F5 which is 70 grams in my driver and HZRDUS Black 6.5 78g in my 3 wood. Works great for me.

I do like my current gapping from 3 wood to 3 hybrid, but I think I can take advantage of a more favorable shaft to improve my 3 wood dispersion.
I have played the same shaft in 3w to driver and I've also played different ones. The thing that jumps out to me is how different the shaft profiles are for the shafts in your two clubs. Maybe that is fine given your needs. FWIW, when I was fitted at the GD they definitely wanted to put me in the same shaft for both.

Edit: I just went and took a look and it turns out I have 60g shafts in both. I never noticed that before.

I have played the same shaft in 3w to driver and I've also played different ones. The thing that jumps out to me is how different the shaft profiles are for the shafts in your two clubs. Maybe that is fine given your needs. FWIW, when I was fitted at the GD they definitely wanted to put me in the same shaft for both.

Edit: I just went and took a look and it turns out I have 60g shafts in both. I never noticed that before.
I think I stole that 3 wood out of my dad’s bag when I was in high school. I can mash it, but I mash it left and I mash it right. Pretty sure I can find a better fit, even with my swing in its current disheveled state.

It’s not the standard to go 60ish in driver and 70ish in fairways. That’s what the majority of OEM’s provide because they are trying to fit the majority of players. There are more and more on tour going to that, but at least 5 of the current top 10 players in the tour have 80 gram shafts in their 3 wood. 6 if you count Bryson as he has a 70 gram in a 11.5* wood and an 80 in a 13.5* wood.

So the moral of the story is to get fit. If a 70 gram range shaft works than go with it. You might also find that even if you loose distance with an 80 gram in your 3 wood that you improve dispersion.

Back