Driver distance same as 3 iron - what's up with that?

spazzdog

Reaction score
Handicap
Lots
It should further, yes?

Those that can see my sig know I'm using hand-me-down clubs, most my step-moms, some my dad's. The majority are 1986 ish MacGregor DX. They are steel (I guess). The 2 drivers I inherited are:

1) "The Bear" marked Nicklaus 1, Linear Dynamics with shaft marked Progressive Kickpoint, no loft indication on head

2) TM Series Titanium Turbo Power 9.5, shaft marked Dyna Force 65

My conundrum is that, though I can hit both drivers, the distance is never more than 125-150 yds and my 3 iron distance is about the same - this assuming I get a good strike on the ball and remember to set up like the "Driver slice cure" vid showed.

I'm relatively strong for an older gal, used to play a lot of fast pitch ball, blah, blah,blah and was a deep center field hitter. No connect maybe...

Assuming a good strike, shouldn't the driver go further than a 3 iron?
Some one suggested that my old drivers may be to heavy... They don't feel awkward or heavy but I really don't know. I play with what I have.

Other than new clubs (not an option right now) can you give me any guidance/suggestions on improving driver distance?

Or should I not really be worrying about this in my 10th month of playing the game?

Thanks!

A higher lofted driver (12 to 14 degree) may be in order. You might need more airtime than your current drivers are giving you. Look on Craigslist, you should be able to find something inexpensive.

Or someone on here might have something.

Assuming you hit both well, it would come down to fitting. However I would venture to say that like most newcomers to the game or those working on improvements, as clubs get longer, they expose more flaws. GG struggled with this for a while when she was starting out and a lesson completely fixed it. While she still struggles from time to time and is still a beginning golfer, she hits her driver and longer clubs rather well.

Back