Driver fitting tomorrow

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I decided to open up the candidate pool beyond Titleist. During my lesson today, we compared my two drivers. I get very similar ball speeds out of quite different drivers. One I swing up to 14 mph faster than the other (94mph). Yet the one i swing fast only gives 1.35 smash factor even on center hits. The other driver gives 1.45 to 1.49 smash factor. Overall, distance is very close at 230 to 235 yds. Shaft weights are 35g and 55g. The lighter weight contributes to the faster swing speed. My golf coach is very perplexed.

So, I am going for a driver fitting to see if a fitter can figure this out.

Where you doing the fitting at? My advice is don’t ask or look at the equipment. You should only worry about what’s producing for you. Don’t let your brain trick you into hitting something poorly.

Any fitting I do I tell the fitter the things I think I would like but that I am also open to whatever he thinks might work. Then I basically have them start setting stuff up and I pay no attention to what shaft is in it or what head it is set up with. I try to swing my best natural feeling swing that I want to make all the time and let the equipment and numbers decide for me.

I’m interested in knowing where and how
It goes. I kinda want to go get fitted but maybe next season as I’ve spent some money this season.

Where you doing the fitting at? My advice is don’t ask or look at the equipment. You should only worry about what’s producing for you. Don’t let your brain trick you into hitting something poorly.

Any fitting I do I tell the fitter the things I think I would like but that I am also open to whatever he thinks might work. Then I basically have them start setting stuff up and I pay no attention to what shaft is in it or what head it is set up with. I try to swing my best natural feeling swing that I want to make all the time and let the equipment and numbers decide for me.
2nd Swing near me. The fitter has an excellent reputation.

One I swing up to 14 mph faster than the other (94mph)

Say What Tv Land GIF by The Soul Man

2nd Swing near me. The fitter has an excellent reputation.
Nice! I love doing fittings. My problem has always been getting my swing to show up with me so I feel like I can trust it. I did an iron fitting about 3 weeks ago though and oh man was my swing there that day.

Your speed difference though is unexpected to me. I guess smaller difference might make sense but 14mph is huge. I kind of feel like it’s a mental thing making that much difference. Like you just trust one more so swing more free or aggressive and your brain is holding you back on the other. 🤷‍♂️ Had that happen to me at a full bag fitting one time when I was struggling off the tee. I could not swing a driver that day to save my life and was swinging a 3W way faster then a driver because I had been having so many issues driving the ball.

Nice! I love doing fittings. My problem has always been getting my swing to show up with me so I feel like I can trust it. I did an iron fitting about 3 weeks ago though and oh man was my swing there that day.

Your speed difference though is unexpected to me. I guess smaller difference might make sense but 14mph is huge. I kind of feel like it’s a mental thing making that much difference. Like you just trust one more so swing more free or aggressive and your brain is holding you back on the other. 🤷‍♂️ Had that happen to me at a full bag fitting one time when I was struggling off the tee. I could not swing a driver that day to save my life and was swinging a 3W way faster then a driver because I had been having so many issues driving the ball.
Not a mental thing at all. The lighter driver shaft, grip and head plus counterweighted vs a heavier shaft and head with std grip. Both resulted in similar ball speeds 120 - 123 mph.

Not a mental thing at all. The lighter driver shaft, grip and head plus counterweighted vs a heavier shaft and head with std grip. Both resulted in similar ball speeds 120 - 123 mph.
I get all that I do but 14mph? I just don’t see it being that much. I man I could be wrong and have been before on many occasions but that is not a small gain. That’s like a totally different person. I am curious though if it is the same head in both and what head? Ball speed could be effected by the lighter weight too.

Different heads. XXIO Prime vs Callaway Epic Flash. The faster driver has less mass.

It'll be interesting to hear how the fitting goes. You're obviously extremely responsive to the lighter weight setup, but it's not uncommon for that to limit efficiency. If you have that in you though it feels like there's some potential gains to made with the right setup.

Different heads. XXIO Prime vs Callaway Epic Flash. The faster driver has less mass.
I would be very interested to see the numbers with the same head in both shafts. Too many variables like this to really define what is happening. That’s why most fitters pick a head and try to find a shaft that works then change heads until the combo works as well as possible in my experience and opinion of course.

Either way it’s going to be fun and I can’t wait to see your results and thoughts….. and hopefully huge gains!

That makes a little more sense. Have you hit any of the current Callaway lineup? They have some interesting lighter weight options.

That makes a little more sense. Have you hit any of the current Callaway lineup? They have some interesting lighter weight options.
Tomorrow.

Good luck. Sounds like you’ll be buying a new driver today.

Good luck today, hippie the fitting goes well.

Let them do their thing. You’re paying them for it. You don’t tell a doctor how to remove your spleen.

It was an interesting experience. We concluded that neither of my drivers were a good fit. I tried three different drivers. Ping G430, Callaway AI Smoke.and Titleist TSR1. The Ping was dropped pretty quickly. I liked both the AI Smoke and TSR1. The TSR1 gave me more carry distance, total distance, swing speed, and ball speed. The odd thing was both drivers had me open at impact. But, not a slice. More like a fade. I decided to go with the TSR1.

I went to my club's range after the fitting. The fade was gone and I was hitting them straight or start out slightly right of center and drawing to the middle. Very playable. I have the playability guarantee. If I don't like it, I can go for another fitting.

Will see how it goes on the course tomorrow.

You will probably come out with the TaylorMade Qi10. What a driver that one is. Super long, forgiving and great looking. Let us know how you like it.

It was an interesting experience. We concluded that neither of my drivers were a good fit. I tried three different drivers. Ping G430, Callaway AI Smoke.and Titleist TSR1. The Ping was dropped pretty quickly. I liked both the AI Smoke and TSR1. The TSR1 gave me more carry distance, total distance, swing speed, and ball speed. The odd thing was both drivers had me open at impact. But, not a slice. More like a fade. I decided to go with the TSR1.

I went to my club's range after the fitting. The fade was gone and I was hitting them straight or start out slightly right of center and drawing to the middle. Very playable. I have the playability guarantee. If I don't like it, I can go for another fitting.

Were you getting more carry with the TSR1 than either of your other drivers? How did the clubhead speed compare?

Were you getting more carry with the TSR1 than either of your other drivers? How did the clubhead speed compare?
Yes, clubhead speed, ball speed, smash factor. Contributed to carry and total distance improvements. The XXIO shaft was too whippy. The TSR1 shaft was lighter than the AI Smoke and Epic Flash shafts.

What shaft?

Enjoy the new tool toy 🙂

Nice. Good luck today, can’t wait to hear how it translates to the course.

That’s awesome so tsr1 with mitsubishi chemical MMT? Enjoy having more fun playing golf

Back