Driver head painting - advice?

BAM7

Reaction score
I just repaired a hairline crack on a driver head using some JB Weld. It came out pretty well and seems as strong as before. Next step is to sand it smooth and try and paint it. Has anyone had any luck with touch up paint on club heads? I'm thinking I might try to tape off a larger area than the repair and try to blend it in with some spray paint. Just looking for some wisdom here that anyone might like to share. The goal is to make it not look completely noticeable that it's a hack job repair.

Keep in mind that this doesn't have to be perfect and I realize that fixing a crack in a club is not a great long term solution. It's a Cobra Air X head and the color is like a gun metal grey if those details matter.

I have used some touch up paint from here for small marks or a few sky marks and you can get lots of OEM colors. Obviously it won't be perfect since you fixed a crack but you may be able to get a close matching paint. I didn't see that exact Cobra driver on there though but you could give it a try. As you are aware a cracked driver is no bueno not sure it will still perform like it use to with the crack. Looks like it's time for a new or used driver.

Yeah I know all about the performance and structural integrity of the club. I 'm looking at this as more of an experiment. I'm a little curious if I'm gonna have to sand and strip the whole club before painting or if a touch up will look ok. What's it gonna look like if you sand down a modern wood anyway? Just scuffed up plastic? Just info I'm trying to gather to hone my club repairing kills.

sanding the jb weld smooth will cause it to loose alot of strength...
That's a fair point. I actually may sand it down then put another layer on it. I'm not totally convinced that the club is necessary going to fail again. It potentially could fail but JB Weld is probably stronger than the club itself (if it's applied correctly).
As far as paining goes, I may try an airbrush and touch it up instead of a whole repaint.

Assuming the crack is not fatal (on the face) and is on the crown, I've used rattle can lacquer from the auto parts store. Years ago I repainted a 975J driver with an automotive color that was a perfect match.

I ended up using Plasi-Dip. If it doesn't hold up I will peel it off. Im not expecting much from this club but we will see.

Back