Driver Sound - How Much Does It Mean To You?

Sound is a bonus but I don’t think I could play a Ping driver only because that sound really bothers me

Not only is sound not important to me, it’s not even something I notice. Even if I got identical performance from two drivers, what they sounded like would be pretty far down my list of tie breakers when deciding which one to buy. Cost, looks, brand name, which had the cooler head cover, whether it was compatible with a wrench I already own, and probably some other stuff would come into playing before I’d ever think about sound.

Not really at all. I've played a pretty wide range too. From the OG Classic to the R1 and the dreaded Sumo 5900, now with the G30. If it goes straight and far enough to put me in a reasonable place, I'm good.

Man what a difference 7 years makes. After playing the Mavrik sound makes a difference to me. I don't think I could play the G425 Max without some hot melt or something. I don't need every one to sound perfect, but there is a limit and it's nowhere near as inclusive as it used to be.

As long as it's not super annoying (and I'm thinking specifically of the Nike Sumo / Sasquatch drivers from the 90's), I don't put any thought into it.

Personally, I could mostly care less about the sound of my driver....... performance is king for me.

Of course it is ideal to marry sound and performance.

Sound is the most important attribute in a driver for me. I'm in the muted category. Could still be gaming my Bridgestone J715. Great sounding driver. Currently, have gone to a Mizuno ST-X. When testing for sound these days, your golf ball of choice can make a big difference. Softer urethane balls, like I play, are much quieter off a driver.

I notice the different sound when I change drivers (or sometimes when I change golf ball types) but I quit noticing after about nine holes or so of the first round. After that I don't even notice, until I change drivers again.

I have no particular preference for how a driver sounds.

Not one bit. I actually like the sound of a loud driver... my mind must equate loud to equal powerful/long.

Some of my favourite drivers models of the past... Ping G400 Max, Cobra F7, XXIO Series 9 which I loved and others said that they couldn't game because of the sound. I actually prefer the sound of these powerful sounding drivers vs. the TaylorMade M Serious drivers. To me, the M drivers always sounded like they were mis-hit and the golf ball would be short and or crooked. I never owned a M driver... but it was never because it it's terrible sound. :p

Anyone who says it doesn't matter, has never hit the Bobby Jones :alien:

Seriously though, its a large dealt to me, I simply don't see why I should settle for something I don't like the sound of when there are SO many excellent drivers out there, I can find one with a profile that fits me and sounds decent to good.

But to me, there is a difference in loud and LOUD.

I hit the last Bobby Jones.... sound does matter. It does, it does.

I played a Wilson Triton for god sakes so I can put up with anything. The Mavrik had such a good sound that when I moved to the Max LS it took a few rounds to forget the perfection of the Mavrik. I have grown to like the sound of the LS and was surprised how different a firm ball sounds at impact.

Sound is a factor for me. If it's bad, I won't play it. For example,

The Rogue went out of the bag because of sound.:cautious:
The original G400 had a decent sound, the G400 Max less so, but not so annoying that it remained in the bag for 3 yrs. Performance matters.:D
The G425 - not pleasing and it is loud. Not enough performance to outperform the G400Max
The Mavrik was a revelation; then Epic Speed - performance and a soft sound. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it is pleasing and makes me smile:D
Mizuno ST-G220 - a pleasing thwack that I find comforting. Still working with it but performance is promising.:)

Oh, and for oldies Sumo II - worst trash can ever until I hit the last Bobby Jones - it was like an aluminum baseball bat - it performed. My 8yr old liked the sound and I gave it to him -- 6 yrs ago.:LOL:

Back