Driver vs 3 Wood Off the Tee?

For a long time I was taking my 3w off the tee, but now that I have changed drivers, I find myself consistently playing that instead.

I actually use my 2h (don't game 3w) off the tee more keeps me more in play even on longer approach shots driver is a high risk high reward club for me even with my fantastic new F6+ and UST Helium setup

I hit driver off the tee more. The courses I play have longer par4s or may have some room for error and having a short iron/wedge into the green. I use a wood on 350-370yd or shorter par4s and sometimes on narrow par 5s that will be 3 shot holes that may only require a wood off the tee.

Driver because my misses with the 3w are virtually identical to my misses with the driver. Also, on tighter holes I can take some off the driver to make the same shot as I would with a 3w. If there is something on a hole that really precludes using a driver, then I will usually go to my 4i.

I'm thinking about pulling driver out of the bag honestly. I'm not constant enough with it. And the 2 deep is almost as long and I'm far more consistent with it. Just have to get over it mentally. Might have to call Rotella :)
I may not be pulling driver from the bag but I'm really leaning toward trying to get much more 3w dependent off the tee. Since putting a 13° club in the bag I am hitting it a long ways off the tee and with great accuracy.

Currently my driver is off so I have been using my 3w more. However, normally I use my driver unless there is a lot of trouble which I will then go to my 3w or hybrid which I can generally hit straight consistently.

Driver, because I can hit the 3W just as bad with less distance.

I use my 3 wood off the tee more. Why? I hit it well, get decent distance, and the courses I typically play don't need driver on most holes.

For me its the 3 wood more than the driver for a multitude of reasons. If the hole is short enough or tight enough I will use 3 wood as long as I can get within 160 of the green. If its more open I may use a driver but I still prefer the 3 wood right now. I've also been struggling to control the driver the last few years with misses on both sides of the fairway that I don't have with the 3 wood so my confidence in it has a lot to do with my choice.

Driver. There's not too many golf courses that I need to be careful how far I hit it.

Driver. Will hit my 3W when more accuracy is required.

I really don't find that I am any more accurate with my 3 wood. My misses just end up further off line and further from the tee with driver. I play 3 wood when there is trouble I want to lay short of. IF I really need to hit a fairway, the hybrid comes out of the bag.

I used to hit less than driver off the tee to leave full approach shots in to the green. Started working on my partial wedge shots and now will pull driver 90% of the time unless there is trouble in the landing area. It is much easier for me now to hit a 50 yard wedge shot and get close than a full on wedge shot.

50/50...just depends on the hole...I tend to be more accurate most of the time with my 3 wood, but lately I've been very good with driver as well...It really just depends on the hole...I've got a par 5 I play a lot here and I would rather hit 3 wood and leave myself a little longer shot into the green because it's typically off level ground, whereas a well struck driver leaves me with a downhill lie...little things like that...if it's a tight fairway and I feel like I've got to hit it, 3 wood is my play...wide open fairway with tons of room, Driver is my play...I find on courses I don't know as well, I typically play a lot more 3 woods...as I learn the course I know where I can miss and be OK I may play more driver...some of my best scoring rounds ever I never even pulled the driver because there was just no need

Driver... face is bigger, which can hide an awful miss

Last year I would have answered 3w. This year it's my driver hands down. I have gained a lot more confidence in my driver this year so I pull it much more.

I use the driver more. I am confident with it, so unless there is a lot of trouble at my driver distance (255-280) I use it. Otherwise I use the 3 wood.

When the driver starts to get sideways, I'm quick to pull my Heavenwood. I struggle with the 4wood, but the Heavenwood always seems to be a fairway finder for me and usually leaves me with a short iron in on most courses that I play.

Depends on the day. Today it was almost all 3 woods of the tee. I hit it about 275 with better controller. Can get the driver over 300 but never sure what fairway i will be playing out of.

It's driver for me, but should probably be the 3 wood (or even a hybrid or iron depending on the hole).

I'll go 17° hybrid off most holes, even some par 5s. That gets me to 220+ most times, and it's pretty reliable. I have a 3w shaft with a driver head in it, and if I hit it right I can go as far as 280 with that, but I have to have a lot of lateral forgiveness on the hole to account for the slice that goes 60y to the right sometimes. Better safe than sorry, so I will use rarely use driver more than 2 times a round.

Definitely Driver for me for the most part because I have super confidence in it and can hit it a variety of distances if needed. Will only go for 3-wood on shorter/tighter holes if either (a) for some reason driver is off or (b) driver is too long even after choking down

It really just depends on the course for me. Typically if a home is under 400 yards I'll go with 3 wood. If it's over 400 and there isn't too much trouble I'll go driver.

Driver. Most of the time, I will take the extra forgiveness of the larger face. If the driver is getting me in trouble, my 3w is usually not a bad second option.

Back