Status
Not open for further replies.

BriMac

Team Vosh 2024 Victory Cup
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Fluctuates
Anyone going to do the first month of the year without drinking?

I like an adult beverage just as much as the next guy, if not more...But I am going to give it a go this year. I started on the 1st, but have some friends starting tomorrow. Trying to drop a few pounds and this alone should be good for a least a few pounds lost.

Looking forward to 2/1/21!!!

As I have aged I drink less and less each year. I go a month at a time without drinking anyway so January would be no problem if I tried.

As I have aged I drink less and less each year. I go a month at a time without drinking anyway so January would be no problem if I tried.
I have done it for Lent before. I have some friends doing it so it lessens the peer pressure a bit. Actually, it increases the peer pressure to NOT drink, so that’s a good thing.

My wife said this to me yesterday....
my reaction...

I've done it a few times and sometimes do it other times of the year as well. It definitely helps to "clean the system" and your quality of sleep is so much better which means you're feeling pretty good. A few years back I rolled it into a three month stretch and also added a no sugar policy which took me down significantly in weight.

I've done this for twenty years in a row...'cept my month is February. I'll join you then!

I’m going to attempt once again this year. Hopefully I will make it more than 2 days like last year.

I did a dry month 19 months ago. Never started back. I suspect if anyone gave up drinking for a year that 2/3 would never start back. One thing I can tell you since quitting is life is emotionally far richer than it ever was before. Drinking numbed so much of that stuff out of my life it took a while to get used to it. I have been far more aware and mindful since then. I also sleep far better and get compliments on my skin now LOL!

good luck to all that do it.

We did it last year and are going to do it this year starting tomorrow.

seemed like a good rest after the holidays

I would like to try to be dry, but just don’t think I could do it. We don’t drink a lot but will have a drink now and then with friends around the pool.

This is me. I think giving it up for a month would be no problem. Some months, I can count on one hand the number of drinks that I have.

I would like to try to be dry, but just don’t think I could do it. We don’t drink a lot but will have a drink now and then with friends around the pool.
Bragger! Mr “I have a pool while all you poor midwesteners live in freezing cold, crappy weather all winter long”! JK. I just loved watching your pool going in.

6 month old and a potty training 2 year old. That's a negative on dry January

Bragger! Mr “I have a pool while all you poor midwesteners live in freezing cold, crappy weather all winter long”! JK. I just loved watching your pool going in.
Hahaha this made me chuckle.

I went 8 months once without alcohol. About 11 yrs ago. Then after a divorce and my son asking "Why did you get divorced? and working for 36 hours straight, I went to a wine tasting dinner where they never stopped pouring and I did not say, "Stop."

Well, I learned to say "stop." The morning after experience filled with oranges and aspirin is not my thing. I believe that's the last time I had more than two full glasses of wine in an evening.

I could easily not drink for several months during Covid and no dating.

But it's best if I drink my 3 glasses of wine per week. It's enjoyable with a meal. Sometimes, it's a small glass of port at night.

But y'all go for it!

Last edited:
good luck to all that do it.

Yup. I’ll salute them while I’m searching for my bottle opener.

This is the best time of the beer year with seasonal going heavy in Imperial Stout territory.

I’ll take off spring/early summer when IPA season hits.

That would make far more sense to me.

I hope you get thru it with ease, I rarely have a drink maybe once or twice a year and that is it. Just not something I miss and feel so much better.

Oh, what the heck. I was going to begin my fat loss regimen today, anyway. Part of that is no alcoholic beverages Sunday through Thursday. I suppose I can just as easily give up a beer with dinner on Friday and Saturday, as well, through January. I'm in!

Well, except on the 31st. I will be enjoying a beer with dinner on my birthday :)

i mean i should, but i have already failed so why start now?!

I don’t drink much. Typically a few times a year max! I have been years in between alcoholic beverages. A lot of people in my family have had problems at one point with alcohol, so I stay away from it mostly.

I don’t think I’ll partake in Dry January lol

11FECBC9-453B-49DF-8F15-6AA6B0D9DB58.jpeg

Did sober October. Am doing dry Jan as well. I like the discipline aspect of it the most.

Plus, my 3 months of lessons start this week, and I need maximum focus.

After reading all of the comments, I think I will give it a try. I'm usually a 2 glass of wine and maybe a beer during the week, except when friends come by, or it's game time.
This is a far cry from where I was 15 -20 years ago when martini lunches were encouraged and dinner with customers was a given and was golf outings. I tamed down a bit(a lot) so this might be a good thing for me to do. February sounds like a good months to try it, first of all it's the shortest, second it right before I go to Florida for golf in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back