During 2020 what was Naughty and Nice about your game?

For the nice I’ll say the fact that I finally figured out how to hit a driver. I don’t mean hit one so the ball stays in play...I mean how to make decent contact the majority of the time. I gave up on the club several years ago because I got to the point where everything was either pounded into the ground or popped straight up. For some reason I decided to give it another shot, and it has been working out fairly decently for me.

For the naughty...definitely my short game. Putting and shots requiring less than a full swing have always been nightmares for me. Fortunately, I finally got some instruction and that has turned around a bit my last couple of rounds.

Naughty:
Putter throughout the year. I went through four different putters before I found the Toulon Chicago.
Driver at times. Accuracy waned, though I did gain distance this year so it was manageable and not totally on the naughty list but figured I'd mention it

Nice:
Wedges and Irons were both incredible for me this year. More GIRs than ever and my proximity to the hole put me in real scoring positions quite a bit.
Toulon Chicago. Once this beauty found the bag, my consistency and confidence really grew

Last edited:
Nice: overall played pretty good, shot a personal best 73 after never breaking 80 previously. Actually shot several rounds in the 70s. Lowered my index from a 15 to a low of 11.3 although I rebounded a bit and am currently a 12.4. I feel like this is much closer to a true number for me.

Naughty: at various points.. everything. There were days/weeks where I couldn't hit driver but pounded my irons, couldn't hit irons, but hit driver and wedges well. I cannot putt worth a crap ever. Had a case of the shanks that I'm still struggling with.

Overall, I got to play quite a bit. I think in another thread I posted I was close to 70 rounds this year. So that's always good, working on rebuilding a repeatable swing. Hopefully that carries over and leaves all the bad stuff in 2020!

Nice: overall played pretty good, shot a personal best 73 after never breaking 80 previously. Actually shot several rounds in the 70s. Lowered my index from a 15 to a low of 11.3 although I rebounded a bit and am currently a 12.4. I feel like this is much closer to a true number for me.

Naughty: at various points.. everything. There were days/weeks where I couldn't hit driver but pounded my irons, couldn't hit irons, but hit driver and wedges well. I cannot putt worth a crap ever. Had a case of the shanks that I'm still struggling with.

Overall, I got to play quite a bit. I think in another thread I posted I was close to 70 rounds this year. So that's always good, working on rebuilding a repeatable swing. Hopefully that carries over and leaves all the bad stuff in 2020!
Congrats on those sub 80 rounds! That's definitely...

I went through 5 different heads, hundreds of settings & 4 shafts since May/June.
I have a lot hate relationship with adjustable weighting in driver heads. If only it adjusted for each swing, good or bad that I put on it :ROFLMAO:

Naughty: Putting was my #1 weakness. Mid-irons were far too variable.

Nice: Wedges notched up! Driver consistency was good, although I backed off on distance to do that. I was also too nice to a few online golf people — tried too hard to engage them with zero results. I may go on the naughty list for next year.😈

Naughty & Nice , has to be my tee game w/ the driver.
In the beginning of the season, I was driving it long (for me) and straight. Had the utmost confidence the ball was going where I aimed.

Over the past 2 months, I can't get off the tee to save my life ......... very frustrating. Now that the weather has changed her in NE Ohio, I have plenty of time to work out what went wrong.

Naughty & Nice , has to be my tee game w/ the driver.
In the beginning of the season, I was driving it long (for me) and straight. Had the utmost confidence the ball was going where I aimed.

Over the past 2 months, I can't get off the tee to save my life ......... very frustrating. Now that the weather has changed her in NE Ohio, I have plenty of time to work out what went wrong.
I will be pondering right along with you here in NE Ohio as snow heads our way :rolleyes:

Naughty was still missing greens left or right due to alignment but I am getting better. Nice is playing so much this season and Driver in the fairway. Even friends have mentioned how my FIR is with the driver this season. Oh and I love my CF19 irons.

Consistency from tee to green was what was nice about my game. I never had the big blow ups that were typical in previous years.

Not much naughty about my game. I struggled a bit with putting later in the season, but I turned it around. All in all it was one of the most enjoyable years of golf that I've had.

2020 has been a great year of learning for me! I hit a few goals this year. I broke 80 for the first time and up to 6 times now I believe. I also have a handicap under 10 for the first time. While it is not by much at 9.9 I count that as a huge win lol!

Nice-the addition of the SM8 wedges I received for being part of the Vokey event. They have been a game changer and really helped lower my scores. I also won our AZTHP league championship which I never even thought about happening.

Naughty- While my driver game has improved a ton I still fight with the longer clubs off the tee sometimes. Drives me crazy that I can drill the driver for a few holes and then it is like I have never ever used that club before :ROFLMAO:

2020 has been a great year of learning for me! I hit a few goals this year. I broke 80 for the first time and up to 6 times now I believe. I also have a handicap under 10 for the first time. While it is not by much at 9.9 I count that as a huge win lol!

Nice-the addition of the SM8 wedges I received for being part of the Vokey event. They have been a game changer and really helped lower my scores. I also won our AZTHP league championship which I never even thought about happening.

Naughty- While my driver game has improved a ton I still fight with the longer clubs off the tee sometimes. Drives me crazy that I can drill the driver for a few holes and then it is like I have never ever used that club before :ROFLMAO:
Sounds like a very good year overall! Congrats on the progress!

Naughty: Putter. I was the king of close but no cigar. Distance control with my short irons. I improved my GIR but distance from the hole was not good leading to a lot of 30+ feet birdie putts. Consistency overall and not playing smart golf plagued me throughout the year.

Nice: Short game, especially after getting the King MIM wedges. Driver. I dig the SpeedZone Extreme but I still need to settle on a shaft to hopefully tame the big left miss.

Nice - Best scoring year ever. Knocked five off the cap.
Most I've played in the last five years.
Tied a PB.
Almost every area of my game that I worked on yielded positive results.
Move to graphite shafted irons was the right one
Mavrik MAX irons

Naughty - Lost some distance across the board. Some is probably age, but some is probably technique.
Confirmed I will need to fill a gap in may bag between my 4h and 6i. I may end up replacing the 4h and adding a second hybrid.

Naughty - Chipping, chipping, chipping.

Nice - I got to play a lot more than usual, reduced my handicap by 1/3, played a lot of local tournaments with @darthweasel, played a lot with my son, and played a lot with a friend who is completely new to the game and has been bitten by the golf bug hard.

Driver has been a pain in my butt for 2 years. It’s definitely on the Naughty List.

My game from inside 175 has been phenomenal the past couple rounds. I went 8/9 GIR yesterday, the one I missed I only missed my target by about 5ft. Not only hitting greens but sticking them close enough to have legit birdie putts. I consider anything inside 20ft (especially below the hole as a legit chance, not that I’ll make many 20 footers but..

nice- driver
naughty- putter

my putting was horrendous

Naughty - Chipping, chipping, chipping.

If you haven't tried it, you could do much worse than looking at this approach. If nothing else, it's entertaining to look at an old-timer great.

My driver came and went all season, usually the forte of my game and what I'm known for.
My putting improved significantly, helping me cap off a career best of -6 on 18 holes.

Naughty: has been driver, but always has been my biggest weakness.
Nice: I've gotten a lot better with my wedges, my bumb & run has been solid & putting has improved.

Naughty:
My handicap over the last 3 months
GIR% isn't improving despite volume of play
Chipping/pitching isn't as good as I would have hoped as of late

Nice:
Lowest 9 I've ever shot (33)
Most rounds I have played in a year in a loooooong time (56 and counting)
I love the game of golf again

Naughty: Chipping is still totally unreliable. Costs me so many strokes where I have great holes going then chip short or over the green.

Nice: Fixed my driver slice and started bombing some drives. Putter continues to improve each time out.

Naughty:
My handicap over the last 3 months
GIR% isn't improving despite volume of play
Chipping/pitching isn't as good as I would have hoped as of late

Nice:
Lowest 9 I've ever shot (33)
Most rounds I have played in a year in a loooooong time (56 and counting)
I love the game of golf again
Bolded your last statement. Because that is huge!! Glad you love the game again, and I hope it continues for you!

Back