Early Extension Troubles

ChristopherKee

Reaction score

I'm finally injury free for the most part and I'm making a full turn again, something I haven't done all year. Since I'm in good health I'm working on cleaning up my swing once and for all and getting rid of some bad habits...

Right now I'm having the hardest time with NOT moving towards the ball and early extending on the downswing. I've shored up a few things that was said could be causing the issue but it's only lessened the bad movement.

My issue is I can make a good looking swing when there is no ball on the ground. Tush stays back and doesn't move towards the ball, my shaft doesn't stand up, I finish better balanced etc etc etc.

So the question is, what am I doing on the downswing that keeps making me want to stand up and or move towards the ball when there is actually a ball?

Currently for drills I put a chair behind me etc, I workout and do yoga, I can do all the moves required to hit the positions, just not when there is a ball involved.

doesn’t look too bad to me. looks really good. maybe just make sure your alignment is right. if you’re a little closed to target you might be adjusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Start by paying attention to where your weight is under your feet--at setup and during the swing. A common fault that causes diving into the ball or standing up is getting the weight out on the toes.

2. In the swing above you do squat at the start of the downswing then extend as you get close to impact. That is a fine way to increase clubhead speed at impact, but it is an advanced move that requires excellent balance and timing. In the one swing you recorded you did not change your spine angle in doing so and you shouldn't. But it was only one swing and a good strike. So the possibilities here are that with the long layoff you are inconsistent in the timing of this move, or that you tend to stand up (change the spine angle) in an attempt to increase clubhead speed more than your practice swing.

If the latter in #2 is the case, I've found the following helpful.
a). Raise your head before initiating your swing and attempt to keep it up (don't let it tuck) during the swing.
b). Imagine your spine being a rod that your body simply turns around.

Put my finger on the video on the back of your butt and you seem to move the butt in at the top of the backswing and it continues.

Some instructors say golf is sometimes a game of opposites, and some advocate a taller setup at address but still with your rounded back/shoulders as you are doing. Some, like GG Swingtips even have the beltline going higher in the backswing. The game of opposites issue is that if you are taller in the backswing, you squat in the downswing so you don't early extend.

That has seemed to help me with early extension. See how your armpits are outside or at your toes - those need to be more on the balls of your feet in a more upright stance. Straighten knees a bit more.

As some like GG Swingtips say, bad posture is good golf posture. But everyone has a different opinion but this is what Gankas, Como, and Mayo seem to be advocating now. See Tiger's new setup where he appears tall at address -armpits over balls of feet.

Thanks guys. The squat on the downswing is something I’ve never been able to stop.

I like the suggestions, I’ll try adjusting weight and height at setup as suggested and see where that takes me. =)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As some like GG Swingtips say, bad posture is good golf posture. But everyone has a different opinion but this is what Gankas, Como, and Mayo seem to be advocating now. See Tiger's new setup where he appears tall at address -armpits over balls of feet.

3992391f13022cbf10c0eeb03e73587f.jpg

Me hitting a 7i and tiger hitting a 9i. I’m definitely bent over way more. I’m taller than tiger but that’s surely not why I’m bent so much.

I’ll start with posture today. Did a few in the mirror and I seem to feel good with a taller stance. Let’s see what happens with a ball in front of me :)

I find it interesting that you’re looking for something that isn’t there. Not sure why you think your standing and or early extending. I wouldn’t change a thing, I’d just keep working on your swing and groove it.

I find it interesting that you’re looking for something that isn’t there. Not sure why you think your standing and or early extending. I wouldn’t change a thing, I’d just keep working on your swing and groove it.

Are you flirting with me? :).

Honestly though. Just trying to get it in a decent place so I stop fading so much towards end of round. I went to 95g shafts and that helped some but as the round progresses the swing starts to falter and I revert to standing the club strait up most the time :-/

Are you flirting with me? :).

Honestly though. Just trying to get it in a decent place so I stop fading so much towards end of round. I went to 95g shafts and that helped some but as the round progresses the swing starts to falter and I revert to standing the club strait up most the time :-/

Well now that is different than you posted. If you have a tendency to slice at the end of round, then you need to work on your stamina.

From what I’ve seen, your swing is repeatable. So either you are running low on energy or getting lazy with your setup, late in the round. Stay hydrated, eat snacks throughout the round and keep your setup consistent.

Man, as a 5.2 with that swing, it looks great to this hacker. Mine is sort of like Elaine dancing at the christmas party so I'm going with grooving my stroke, not my swing lol

Back