ebay buyer brand new today ?

user name means absolutely nothing imo. I mean even here on THP (with exception of those who have personally met several times) as much and as long as many of us have communicated with each other we truly dont know each other at all. User name is of little value if any at all imo.

That said,....if you dont feel right about it, dont do it. Pretty simple really.

They paid immediately...the issue is that he received the item but PayPal didn’t release the the funds for several weeks. They were just sitting there in my account unable to be moved or used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I normally move the funds as soon as it goes in. If, for some reason, I couldn't move the funds from my Paypal account, I wouldn't ship it. I don't have the funds if they're stuck in Paypal.

I normally move the funds as soon as it goes in. If, for some reason, I couldn't move the funds from my Paypal account, I wouldn't ship it. I don't have the funds if they're stuck in Paypal.

In some cases Ebay puts a hold on the money so you can't touch it until they release through Paypal. I've had that happen a couple times and the funds get released 1-2 business days after the product was delivered.

In some cases Ebay puts a hold on the money so you can't touch it until they release through Paypal. I've had that happen a couple times and the funds get released 1-2 business days after the product was delivered.

Not sure what the reason would be for that, but I wouldn't ship until I had the money. I guess, at that point, it'd be eBay cancelling the sale, not I.

everybody starts at 0 though

On a archery site I am a member of I put up an item for sale. Another forum member asked a question about the item. At that point a guy who was a long time member chimed in, "This should be interesting a guy selling something for the first time, and a first time buyer." I replied to him "How many sales did you make here before your first?" The transaction with the first time buyer from the first time seller went on without a hitch.

Sometimes though you need to trust your gut, depending how much is on the table.

I can see why you are being cautious. But can't you protect against fraud by waiting until the payment comes in? Maybe you are concerned they will reject the goods and send you something else back that isn't the item you were selling and then ask for a refund? That would be a crappy deal, but the chances of that seem pretty remote.

Low but the listed transaction is screaming this. Everyone is at one point a first time buyer. Not everyone uses a weird username and buys the same day their account is set up. I don't know that I'd have cancelled the transaction without checking in with the buyer, but my spidey senses woulda been screaming and anything that wasn't 100% copacetic would have me cancelling.

I'm thankful my first transaction wasn't cancelled. I didn't join until about 18 months ago. I was the only bid on a set of irons that while they weren't brand new had obviously maybe seen a range session. I picked them up for well under trade in value, roughly half that in fact. I paid within minutes of the auction ending and the buyer shipped them to me. I also sent him a message telling him that I would give them a good home or something to that effect. He was obviously a little disappointed that they didn't go for more with his reply but we both held up our ends.

The seller is really the only one at risk. You might be out some money for a month or two as a buyer but the seller is the one that is at risk so I don't blame the OP for protecting himself.

For both of my cancelled sales the buyer paid immediately and I immediately cancelled sale/refunded money.

Did either leave negative feedback?

Did either leave negative feedback?

I believe once a sale is cancelled neither the buyer or seller may leave feedback. Not positive about this, just my assumption.

I believe once a sale is cancelled neither the buyer or seller may leave feedback. Not positive about this, just my assumption.

I have seen buyers leave negative feedback because sellers cancelled the sale after winning the auction. If a buyer wins something at a good price and the seller cancels because it was too low they tend to get pissed and leave negative feedback. If this didnt happen to you it could have very well been a scam.

I have seen buyers leave negative feedback because sellers cancelled the sale after winning the auction. If a buyer wins something at a good price and the seller cancels because it was too low they tend to get pissed and leave negative feedback. If this didnt happen to you it could have very well been a scam.

I am confident both sales I cancelled were from scamming "buyers". The new account created in the middle of the night, the crazy "x35yLyvToh" user name, the email address tied to their paypal account etc...
all suspicious.

You're right, my cancelling these sales may not have been "fair". I agree.
But, if there are suspicious signs (such as same day registration, strange user name etc...) then I have a right to protect myself. Also, here on the golf forums I've read several stories claiming that in a dispute ebay/Paypal nearly always sides with the buyer. I don't know if that's a fact or not, but it's what I've read, and makes me leery of entering into any sort of questionable sale.

100% agree with your reasoning on this. Protect yourself as the buyer. EBay doesn’t care about you in the end as the seller. If you’re not comfortable with the sale, then canceling is totally acceptable.

100% agree with your reasoning on this. Protect yourself as the buyer. EBay doesn’t care about you in the end as the seller. If you’re not comfortable with the sale, then canceling is totally acceptable.

And you're the guy that would know!

As someone said earlier, just put in the description that you reserve the right not to accept bids from someone with less than a certain number of transactions ... this way, cancelling the sale if they don’t comply will leave you with a clear conscience ... and presumably not annoy eBay. I have certainly seen guys do this. I buy and sell a fair amount of second hand golf gear on eBay (buy them, try them and then sell them), and I have had no problems ... although I could just have been lucky.

I didn't realize sellers could cancel if the price was too low for them. That's a horrible system. Why even have the auction option if it isn't enforced?

I didn't realize sellers could cancel if the price was too low for them. That's a horrible system. Why even have the auction option if it isn't enforced?

They aren't supposed to, but it happens. Hence why the item is accidentally out of stock or lost....and miraculously found a couple hours later and relisted.

If there is a system, people will try to play it to their benefit and eBay is no different.

Everyone has to start at 0 and there are so many people that use ebay a lot of common names are already taken. I tried setting mine years ago and couldn't find one that wasn't already taken that would be easy to remember. I eventually just let ebay choose my name and it's a weird one that really doesn't make any sense. That was 4 years ago. I can only imagine what they have to use now! Like others have asked, did you give the winner a chance to make good on his purchase? I'd give it a couple of days and if no payment is made just go though ebay and report as a non paying bidder.

People can look for items on eBay without being a member and sign up just to make the purchase.
I've had the opposite happen too. Bought a set of clubs from a new seller that started an account just to sell those clubs.
I can see why you got spooked but I think I might have let it play out a little longer, especially if payment was immediate.

Back