Economical, But Good Shaft Recommendations?

Duffer Seamus

C'mon ball, do your thing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I'm thinking of building a driver for one of my next door neighbors. He likes really flexible shafts. He hits pretty well with my old Walter Hagen T3, which felt to me like swinging a weight on the end of a wet noodle. He really likes his oldest son's girlfriend's driver. (I'm going to get the specs on that from the son.)

So what I'll be looking for is an economical, but quality shaft with a lot of flex, to put on either an X2 Hot or Great Big Bertha Epic Subzero. How much is "a lot?" No idea. There's no specs on the driver I gave him

I'll be wanting the finished length to come out to 44 in., because that's what that T3 is and he swings that well.

Suggestions on brands/models of shafts I should be looking at?

Attached should get you in the ballpark, can always go to L or LL but remember not all ratings are equal. I’ve tested some A flex that read out in the S CPM range that was the GraphTech in the link.

Thanks, @Golfers Anonymous! I want a 0.335 tip size for a Callaway Optifit adapter, yes? "L" flex I assume is ladies flex?

Wow, the son's girlfriend's driver is 13° loft. 44.5 in. length. I'm betting the shaft length is the biggie. (My neighbor is somewhat short and stout.)

Thanks, @Golfers Anonymous! I want a 0.335 tip size for a Callaway Optifit adapter, yes? "L" flex I assume is ladies flex?

Wow, the son's girlfriend's driver is 13° loft. 44.5 in. length. I'm betting the shaft length is the biggie. (My neighbor is somewhat short and stout.)
Yes and Yes

Thanks. Lot of brands/models on that page. I guess the question is how much would I have to spend to put a "decent" shaft on one of those two heads? Or, put another way, are there any particular shafts on that page that costs less than, say $40, that you would recommend?

I don't want to cheap-out, but I am doing this gratis. And there's no way for me to know if my efforts will even be successful in that he'll be able to hit well with the result.

Thanks. Lot of brands/models on that page. I guess the question is how much would I have to spend to put a "decent" shaft on one of those two heads? Or, put another way, are there any particular shafts on that page that costs less than, say $40, that you would recommend?

I don't want to cheap-out, but I am doing this gratis. And there's no way for me to know if my efforts will even be successful in that he'll be able to hit well with the result.
Or
Are good choices but with anything it can be a crapshoot when randomly picking but these are solid shafts all things considered.

Are good choices but with anything it can be a crapshoot when randomly picking but these are solid shafts all things considered.
Probably somewhat less a crap-shoot than were I to just roll the dice :). In this case I think choosing based upon "are solid shafts" is about the best I can hope. Thanks for all the help!

Hmmm... The Grafalloy isn't available in A flex...

UST Proforce V2 can be had for a song...
Hmmm... $60 at Golfworks. A bit over my self-imposed budget, but if that would be a step up...? Go big or go home, right? :ROFLMAO:

Xcaliber. Old line or new. They’re solid and we have reviewed many of them.

If you're looking for an inexpensive, but solid shaft, I have had good luck using these in the past.

I know they're not a big name brand, but they are surprisingly consistent in their specs and performance.

Thanks. Recommendation on where to acquire? Golfworks doesn't appear to carry them.

Right now I'm leaning towards this one: https://www.golfworks.com/grafalloy-prolaunch-4565-graphite-wood-shafts/p/tt0133/

That was gonna be my recommendation. ProLaunch Blue is still one of our top selling aftermarket shafts, even 15 years after it was first introduced. Higher launching, but still really stable. The 45gr part has been a go to on Golfworks for slower swingers since I had hair. (almost)

I'm thinking of building a driver for one of my next door neighbors. He likes really flexible shafts. He hits pretty well with my old Walter Hagen T3, which felt to me like swinging a weight on the end of a wet noodle. He really likes his oldest son's girlfriend's driver. (I'm going to get the specs on that from the son.)

So what I'll be looking for is an economical, but quality shaft with a lot of flex, to put on either an X2 Hot or Great Big Bertha Epic Subzero. How much is "a lot?" No idea. There's no specs on the driver I gave him

I'll be wanting the finished length to come out to 44 in., because that's what that T3 is and he swings that well.

Suggestions on brands/models of shafts I should be looking at?

The Aldila's NV's cover the entire spectrum of torque and flex and are relatively cheap.

The Aldila's NV's cover the entire spectrum of torque and flex and are relatively cheap.
The NVS, with the softer tip, would be better for a high HC'er, though, correct?

I'll give you my RCH 55 shaft from the B21. I will not use it and I got it for free from here so I can pay it forward. It is a stiff flex, but it has a lot of flex.

I'll give you my RCH 55 shaft from the B21. I will not use it and I got it for free from here so I can pay it forward. It is a stiff flex, but it has a lot of flex.
Thanks for the kind offer, but does it have flex in the range of senior-to-ladies? Because I think that's what he likes.

You wouldn't believe how bendy that Walter Hagen T3 is. I've swung more than a few clubs, experimentally. Nothing I've swung has been even close.

I know where to get the Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue, @jbuck31, but thanks. It was about the Xcaliber @Jman mentioned I was asking.

I know where to get the Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue, @jbuck31, but thanks. It was about the Xcaliber @Jman mentioned I was asking.
The stock XCaliber offerings can be had on there site (60-100$) and the Xclusiv versions through a dealer. PM if interested on the Xclusiv options.

Another vote here for the Grafalloy ProLaunch series. they are really good shafts for a very low price. I agree that the UST ProForce is a nice satep up for not too much more money.

Back