Edel Putter Fitting Review

Reaction score
Handicap
Last month I had the opportunity to do a putter fitting with Edel Golf. I was fit by their regional fitter for Illinois and their Vice President for Business Development at the Golf Galaxy in Chesterfield, MO. It was an outstanding experience!

First, we began by selecting my current putter, a Ping Nome TR Slight Arc 35". At that point, they asked me to set up to the ball and checked my alignment using their laser alignment check. It turns out my alignment is slightly to the left with the Nome TR.

image.jpeg

Then, they moved into the fitting part. The fitting was extensive, and really focused on identifying what factors helped you aim properly and get your best distance control. We started using the laser alignment check to identify what worked for me in aligning best, then worked on weighting for distance control. We probably we through at least 50 different putter combinations, between different heads, alignment lines, and weighting combinations. Now, I've never been fit for a putter before, so I can't compare this to any previous personal fitting experience, but I felt Edel had thought out options I never considered. For example, they not only have several head shapes, but multiple hosel designs, lofts, head weights, counter weights (more on this in a minute), and aim lines. Don't believe me? Here is their fitting cart (apologies for my bad iPhone photo):

image1.jpeg

I'm sure I missed something in there, but you get the point.

So what makes Edel likely to get my business if I order a custom putter? A few things stand out:

1. The attention to detail in getting your putter fit to YOU. I enjoy searching for the next great thing as much as the next guy, but the idea of having something that a professional and I have taken the time to truly fit to me is very appealing.

2. They are willing to challenge conventional thinking. As an example, Edel putters come standard with a round grip. They feel that decreases both grip pressure and face rotation. I have to say, I was skeptical at first, but the putter I ended up liking best at the end of my fitting had a significant amount of toe hang, and I didn't feel as though I was fighting it at all.

3. They have thought through counter balancing in a different way. My putter was fit with at least some level of counter balancing in it, but the weight went right where my hands are, not above them. I also ended up with a much lighter than usual head weight of 325g. Some of you might be thinking that is crazy talk, but for me, that worked. My distance control and ability to control the head of the putter were better than any other putter I've held.

So what did I end up being fit with? Well, I ended up with a Rogue, 325g head weight, 2* loft, 2 bottom alignment lines, L0 hosel (no offset), 68* lie angle, 40 counter weight, 50 Opti-Vibe, 35" length, round grip, and PIXL insert http://edelgolf.com/pixl-technology. Total price for that would be $395 for a standard putter, plus $50 for the PIXL insert.

image2.jpeg

Lots of information in there, so what does it all mean? What I think it means is that I put my trust in the guys who know their product best, and they gave me something that would work for me best. I couldn't ask for anything more. If you get a chance to get an Edel fitting, do it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing that, love reading stuff like this!

Wow, great review and sounds like a tremendous experience. Thanks for sharing!

Last month I had the opportunity to do a putter fitting with Edel Golf. I was fit by their regional fitter for Illinois and their Vice President for Business Development at the Golf Galaxy in Chesterfield, MO. It was an outstanding experience!

First, we began by selecting my current putter, a Ping Nome TR Slight Arc 35". At that point, they asked me to set up to the ball and checked my alignment using their laser alignment check. It turns out my alignment is slightly to the left with the Nome TR.

image.jpeg

Then, they moved into the fitting part. The fitting was extensive, and really focused on identifying what factors helped you aim properly and get your best distance control. We started using the laser alignment check to identify what worked for me in aligning best, then worked on weighting for distance control. We probably we through at least 50 different putter combinations, between different heads, alignment lines, and weighting combinations. Now, I've never been fit for a putter before, so I can't compare this to any previous personal fitting experience, but I felt Edel had thought out options I never considered. For example, they not only have several head shapes, but multiple hosel designs, lofts, head weights, counter weights (more on this in a minute), and aim lines. Don't believe me? Here is their fitting cart (apologies for my bad iPhone photo):

image1.jpeg

I'm sure I missed something in there, but you get the point.

So what makes Edel likely to get my business if I order a custom putter? A few things stand out:

1. The attention to detail in getting your putter fit to YOU. I enjoy searching for the next great thing as much as the next guy, but the idea of having something that a professional and I have taken the time to truly fit to me is very appealing.

2. They are willing to challenge conventional thinking. As an example, Edel putters come standard with a round grip. They feel that decreases both grip pressure and face rotation. I have to say, I was skeptical at first, but the putter I ended up liking best at the end of my fitting had a significant amount of toe hang, and I didn't feel as though I was fighting it at all.

3. They have thought through counter balancing in a different way. My putter was fit with at least some level of counter balancing in it, but the weight went right where my hands are, not above them. I also ended up with a much lighter than usual head weight of 325g. Some of you might be thinking that is crazy talk, but for me, that worked. My distance control and ability to control the head of the putter were better than any other putter I've held.

So what did I end up being fit with? Well, I ended up with a Rogue, 325g head weight, 2* loft, 2 bottom alignment lines, L0 hosel (no offset), 68* lie angle, 40 counter weight, 50 Opti-Vibe, 35" length, round grip, and PIXL insert http://edelgolf.com/pixl-technology. Total price for that would be $395 for a standard putter, plus $50 for the PIXL insert.

image2.jpeg

Lots of information in there, so what does it all mean? What I think it means is that I put my trust in the guys who know their product best, and they gave me something that would work for me best. I couldn't ask for anything more. If you get a chance to get an Edel fitting, do it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
So did you end up getting that putter? Any pics? How has it performed?

I just scheduled an Edel putter fitting for next week. I've never done a putter fitting before. It will be interesting to see if what I think I like is what actually works best for me.

I just scheduled an Edel putter fitting for next week. I've never done a putter fitting before. It will be interesting to see if what I think I like is what actually works best for me.

Good luck. I've gamed my Edel for over 5 years now...

A putter fitting is something I've wanted to do for a while now. I just wish there was somebody near me doing it right!

I have my putter fitting this afternoon. I just realized that I haven't really thought about what I might get on my custom putter. I'd like to have some idea before I go.

Nice review and experience. As I'm in the market for a new putter, hum additional putter to my TP Mills, I will probably spend some time and money on a putter fitting. Great move, Edel sounds sweet though

I had my Edel putter fitting yesterday. Scott Warman was my fitter and he is based north of Atlanta in Cumming but he met me at the Duluth PGA Tour Superstore for the fitting. It pretty much went very similar to Jolly's. We found that I aimed my Scotty Circa 62 #7 very consistently out to the right. Then I he asked me which head shape I preferred and he picked out a hosel and put it on a 33 inch shaft and just like that I was aiming dead center. That was easy. The head was the mid mallet and the hosel was the L2 plumbers neck which is a good bit of offset. Oddly enough, I have no recollection of ever using a putter with a plumbers neck. If I have, it has been a really long time. Then we tried a few different alignment line combinations and settled on a single line on the flange. Next it was dialing in distance control. We went with the 50g opti-vibe weight at about an inch down from the butt. It really smoothed out my stroke and allowed me to be really consistent with my distance even with a lighter weight 325g head. That was somewhat surprising to me. I'd never really tried any counterweight in a putter before. I also went with the PIXL insert. Then we went through all the custom stuff and now I am waiting the 7-10 days build time before it is in my hands. One cool thing that Scott said was that Edel would possible take a video of it being made and send that to me while I am waiting. I really hope that happens.

I just received my custom Edel putter yesterday. I had it shipped without the grip installed because I didn't think they had the size superstroke grip I wanted. I took it to the PGA superstore to get a grip installed and try it out on their putting green. I think it feels great. There is the right about of counter weight in the shaft and that give me a smooth stroke. Distance control is awesome with the counter weight and the PIXL insert. I is also unique (besides the custom paint and stampings) in that I've never seen a putter in stores that is a mid mallet with a plumbers neck hosel. The best thing is that I know it is fit to my eye and the way I line up the putter. I can just step up to the ball and quickly line up my putt and be confident that I am lined up properly. No more double and triple checking my line and then questioning if my putter is actually aimed where I want it to be. I'm really looking forward to trying it out on the course today.
2A0E3B62-6915-41F7-9649-772D7866CAF3_zpsf4z1lt7j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
0DB3CD5A-DFFD-42B8-BB56-02C21C5B29FC_zpsv8nbatgg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2CB6EBE0-802A-44FF-B891-E007AC7B0CB2_zps6jjivr25.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
45F1BE63-9E83-4D01-84CA-312E39E9B2F8_zpshfyqtsa7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back