End of year WITB and WWBIB 2022

Woods 2021.jpgIrons 2021.jpg

SAFE:
Driver: TM Sim Max 10.5 60g Ventus Blue R
FW: Cobra F9 5W Fujikura 73g Atmos R - this gets rotated with a 3W or 7W depending upon which course I'm playing.
Hybrids: Cobra SZ 5H & 4H UST Mamiya Recoil
Irons: Cobra F9 One Length Fujikura 63g Atmos R 6i - GW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/10; Callaway MD-4 54/10 S-grind. I want to add safe at the moment.
Putter: Odyssey 48" White Ice Dart

I've gamed these irons since they came out in 2019. As you can see they're in really good shape and I don't see any reason to replace them. I know Cobra is coming out with some very interesting stuff next year. I don't know if I have the game to play the Forged Tec Irons although since I can hit a Ping Blueprint 4i I probably wouldn't have an issue, but they're the same lofts as what I'm playing. I really don't think I'd gain anything. I'd still end up with the same wedge set.

ON THE FENCE:
Wedge: Cleveland Smart Sole S - I'm toying with "Git Gud" out of bunkers. If the bunkers were at all decent where I play I'd spend time practicing the splash shot in sand. I can hit it off a mat. The problem is on the courses I play you never know what you're going to get from one bunker to the next. You could have sand in one, and hard pan under a 1/2" of dust in the next. In the spring, in wet conditions I bring a 58/8 wedge and just slap them out with no problem because at least the under layer gives. But in the summer, that shot just bounces off and blades the ball. So chip shots in the summer?

Also I'm on the fence of changing wedge set up. I'm thinking about switching to a 52/10 and 58, and going 5W, 7W, or 3W, 5W. More at the top end and less at the bottom. It would depend if I could comfortably hit a 90 yd shot with a 52/10 and comfortably hit those 40 - 70 yd pitches with it that I currently hit with my 54.

Attachments

• Woods 2021.jpg
    Woods 2021.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1
My set prior to end of this year (played since 2017):

Driver: Callaway Epic GBB 9 (replaced)
3W: Callaway Epic Flash 15 (replaced)
5W: Titleist 980F 19 (replaced)
Irons: TaylorMade P790 4-AW
Wedges: Purespin Gap Wedge 48, Titleist Vokey 56
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Oil Can Classic Santa Fe

Replaced this year:
Driver: TaylorMade SIM2 Max 9
3W: TaylorMade SIM Max 15
2 and 3 Hybrid: SIM2 Rescue 17/19.5

Yet to come: thinking about replacing my Vokey 56 with a 54/10. I originally replaced it with an older Vokey 54 which I loved. I have mixed feelings about the 56. Also trying to retire my Purespin GW but I am deadly around the green with that thing. It’s old but my go-to inside of 50 yards.

2022: might start thinking about replacing my P790‘s but really trying to follow the, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it“ mantra. Favorite irons by far and not sure I will see much of a benefit replacing them with a newer version or the Titleist T200’s.

Last edited:
Tsi3 8* with hzrdus smoke blue 6.5 has been outstanding this season and is not going anywhere. Ts3 15* has been really hard to take out of the bag as well. I keep trying, but the numbers are not better with anything I’ve tested. Maybe the Tsi2 is next in line mainly because of looks. Tsi2 7 wood has been a pleasant surprise. Just not in love with the shaft.

Irons have been a struggle for me to find until recently. I’ve cycled through quite a lot of sets and spent way too much cash, but came out the other end in a good place. The zx7’s are fantastic! Never thought I’d give up my Bridgestones, but they have taken over and are in the driver’s seat moving forward.

Couple things I might add. 2i and possibly a UT 4i. TBD.

Wedges are in a good spot as well. Zipcores are great! Especially the full face 60*. Had a custom grind put on the 56* and it made a big difference.

Putters are my weak spot. Picked up a JDM Toulon SD and it’s great! But I love flow necks… I have a custom Cushman with a long flow neck that keeps sneaking back in. It’s never leaving my possession. However, the new Betti bb-1f is looking quite tasty and will need to be tested.

Testing balls this winter. Tour b xs is awesome, but I can always use a little more distance. Z star xv, tour b x, Snell are all getting a run.

END OF YEAR WITB 2021

Callaway Epic Max LS 9*... MCA Diamana PD 70x
TM 300 Mini 13.5*... VA Composites Raijin 74x ----- Callaway UW 17*... LAGP Trono 75x
PXG Gen4 0317x 2h 18*... VA Composites Raijin 84x ----- Callaway UW 21* ... LAGP Trono 75x
New Level PF-1 Black 4-P ... Accra iSteel 125 ----- Sub 70 649 Tour MB Raw ... Accra iSteel 125
Corey Paul wedges 52 , 56 , 60 ... Accra iSteel 125
Scotty Phantom x9.5 Triple Black ----- Scotty Champions Choice NP2 buttonback... LAGP TPZ 135 USA edition

Bridgestone Tour B XS

2022..... I can't say anything in my bag is safe other than putters (yes putters with an "S" bc all will get a chance). Ive had Epic Max LS for a month and its been pretty good but I was not fit for it so I'll give everything a chance come March. I have $400 rewards credit with TM so ill most likely buy a Stealth driver. After a brief romance with the Apex UW's Ive realized they do not fit my bag. TM 300 Mini will be the safe spot and comfort club for me. Irons im planning on Mizuno 223. Wedges will probably be Mizuno T22

Last edited:
Back