Entering contest's when you wont use the prize.

I will occasionally enter contests I know I wouldn't use, with the intention of giving the item to someone if I did happen to win.

Yes, if there's a review requirement, or any other stipulation, that you complete, then you should be able to do whatever you want with it.

No.

1. No, I only enter contests that offer prizes I would use
2. Being part of a test or review group is different than a contest. So far, I’ve only participated in 2 test/review opportunities Which were for golf balls and grips. There was no future value after I used them. However, if I did test something that could be reused, I would either donate it to some organization that could derive something from it or give it to an acquaintance who could use it.
3. Same answer for non-THP events.

To me it all depends on the circumstances. I entered one where someone was giving away a Callaway driver (X-Hot?) a month or so ago. I didn't win it but I had no use for the driver, it didn't fit the specs my kids or I would find useful.

The reason I entered and I stated it, if I won I was going to have him ship it directly to dacatalsyt for the youth program he had started. I don't recall if it would have been suitable for any of those kids but I was going to PM telling him to either use it for them or sell it to fund other things they needed.

I wouldn't feel right about entering a contest of any kind here with the express purpose of planning to flip it for personal profit. I guess I don't really see anything wrong with it when I look at it, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing it.

If it's a product review contest I think once you've upheld your obligation there, you should feel comfortable doing whatever you want with the product. I'd never enter one with the express purpose of reviewing then flipping the product but if it didn't agree with me after giving it honest reviews to satisfy that part of the requirement, I wouldn't feel bad selling it or trading it. Again, I'd not go into it thinking that or I wouldn't enter. But if it doesn't help my game at the end of the day, something will happen to it. Whether that's selling or sending it to someone else to review, either way I could live with myself in that situation.

This is all hypothetical for me anyways. I don't win stuff ever. I'm ok with that and over the years I've made my peace with it. I still enthusiastically enter contests and wait for that happy PM that never comes. It'll make it all that more sweet once I finally do though! :)

Is the value of the prize a factor?

I.e. what if it's a car you would never drive (like the Prius example)
What if it was say an original artwork worth 1000 bucks (that you don't like)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

1. No, if I’m not interested in the product I won’t enter.

2. Yes, if it doesn’t fit your game or style why keep it?

3. If you won it on THP and now are trying to sell it on THP I think that is poor form and hope you don’t win again. If you hold a contest yourself for the prize you won I don’t care.

I won't enter a contest for something I have no interest in. I don't want to lessen the opportunity for those that do want it.

As far as selling or trading something you won on THP, I don't know what the general consensus is. I usually give away golf items I'm done testing, if anything. Both of my buddy's boys are starting to play highschool golf. That's where the majority of my club extras have gone recently.

I only enter contests for something I will use, or be able to give to someone else to use. This goes for THP or anywhere at all really.

I only enter contests for things I know I would use, or want to try. If I win something that doesn't workout for me I'll give it away. I haven't sold anything I've received from THP or any of its members.

If I buy something from a member that doesn't workout for me I'll re-sell it, or give it to one of my boys.

If I won't use it or already have it - I do not enter.

Do I feel OK selling it? No. I'd much rather give it to another THP'er or someone I know personally to try it out.

I got to thinking about the great contest's from THP and those posted here but not sponsored by THP.

Question 1

Do you feel it is okay to enter a contest for a prize that you probably wont use?

yep, unless the rules of the contest specifically state otherwise

Question 2

Do you think it is okay to sell or trade a prize won here after you have thoroughly reviewed the product?

yep, unless the rules of the contest specifically state otherwise

Question 3

Does your answer change if it is a non THP contest?

nope

I have not won any merchandise here but have entered contest's for items I probably would not use. Of course the members opinions are appreciated so speak up. I would like to hear the Admins opinion on this as well.

I haven't won anything here nor have I entered to win anything here. I don't come here for a chance to win things

No, I agree that if you won’t use it don’t enter.
If you’ve already reviewed it I guess it would seem like you should give it away but selling it or trading it is fine.
No.

Question 1: Do you feel it is okay to enter a contest for a prize that you probably wont use?

I do this all the time for non-THP contests when I have a person(s) in mind that would love the prize.

Question 2: Do you think it is okay to sell or trade a prize won here after you have thoroughly reviewed the product?

I usually pass it on to someone else, but if you've given an honest review, I think it would be fine.

Question 3: Does your answer change if it is a non THP contest?

I have sold a non-THP prize and not felt bad about it.

Back