Event gear: How long is long enough?

For me it's a personal thing, I will be playing my Morgan Cup set for awhile. I only play 1x week usually and try to practice 1x also and I see no need to change much.

I think if you have played a set or clubs from a event for 6+ months and have given a honest effort to review them your probably good unless otherwise specified.

If I found a certain club was negatively impacting my playing it would probably get changed out sooner rather than later, though I have struggled with the Driver this year I feel that's a ME thing and not a Club thing.

IMO 4 - 6 months is plenty of time to get plenty of golf in, time for you to adjust to all the new equipment and fully review your gear.

But I haven't been to an event that included clubs so maybe easier said than done for some

man I'm still gaming the wedges I got 3-4 years ago at the first cleveland up & down event LOL

One of the nice things about a full bag fitting that includes driver, fairway woods, hybrids, irons, wedges and putters is that there are so many different clubs to review and spread out over a considerable period of time. Some clubs will be used more frequently and one will get a better feel for them than others. Those used less frequently will take longer to get a good feel for how they have affected someone's game.

Every situation and event seems to have it's own "vibe" with regards to the duration of testing and reviewing, and every individual is going to be different due to their golf schedules. In the past if I'm honest I would say that I've been on both sides - I feel like I've completely laid an egg with an equipment review and I feel like I really did well on a couple.
To answer "How Long?" is tough. Is it a time frame? Number of posts? Number of rounds? Heck some guys play more golf in a week than I play in a month. When given free equipment with the understanding that it will be reviewed, we all need to look ourselves in the mirror and say we did the best we could IMO.
Great response; reading this one made me feel good and bad...

I, too, feel like I've reviewed well and not so well. It's much easier to stay involved in a review thread when you're really getting along with the product, not so easy otherwise. I've never given a negative review when something hasn't worked for me and in those cases it seems I'm not in the thread very long. However, when I'm reviewing something I love I'll add to the review just about every time I see it resurface, if I don't resurface it myself.

Great response; reading this one made me feel good and bad...

I, too, feel like I've reviewed well and not so well. It's much easier to stay involved in a review thread when you're really getting along with the product, not so easy otherwise. I've never given a negative review when something hasn't worked for me and in those cases it seems I'm not in the thread very long. However, when I'm reviewing something I love I'll add to the review just about every time I see it resurface, if I don't resurface it myself.

not saying your approach is right or wrong, just generally wondering why this is? do you feel like a negative review would be disrespectful to the oem/sponsor?

IMO, it is whatever you feel comfortable with, when you believe you have done your due diligence as far as reviews and such then IMO you are good to go.

Not going to be the most popular answer here with some, but its always been my stance on it.

I agree with you jman. obvioulsy its kind of how you have to do it as you review a ton of stuff here (thank you and the other staff guys on the excellent thoughts and input).

Me personally, I feel since I can get out and play 1-2x a week all year round, I can put most equipment through it's paces in less than 6 months. Ill give my thoughts on it, and if it has helped my game out, then its staying until I get something new (whether I buy it or Im lucky enough to be chosen for an event with equipment). The biggest thing I know I need to work on is my actual reviewing as in typing up my thoughts into coherent material haha... I know I can ramble a bit and sidetrack, but I think i am getting better. Ill have another chance here in the next two weeks so thats always a plus haha

This happened to me with my Morgan Cup irons. Basically I did what I mentioned above in the thread - I stayed with them long enough to know what the clubs offered, didn't offer, etc. The event meant so much to me I felt terrible moving on from them; I stayed with the same OEM but different model of irons then tried to stay active in both threads.

Almost worse than the clubs not working for you is when your thread is dead...it is really really hard when it's an echo chamber. (I know visitors are reading the posts but it's still tough)

It was easy with the Epic because there are several hundred pages of responses. I still like to talk about it even though it has been 2 seasons now. Some of the others are tougher when you come back a month or 2 later and the last 2 replies are yours. I still like to post updates even if it is something like how they were the last round.

not saying your approach is right or wrong, just generally wondering why this is? do you feel like a negative review would be disrespectful to the oem/sponsor?
Honestly, I haven't reviewed anything that deserved a negative response, no other reason. With that said, I have reviewed something that I felt was a fantastic product but it didn't work for me. So there is another conundrum; reviewing a good product, that doesn't work for the reviewer.

Honestly, I haven't reviewed anything that deserved a negative response, no other reason. With that said, I have reviewed something that I felt was a fantastic product but it didn't work for me. So there is another conundrum; reviewing a good product, that doesn't work for the reviewer.

i think the difficulty in that conundrum is being able to identify and then articulate WHY it's not working. i'm not smart enough to always know why, so i just grasp at straws. but at least people can read along and make their own conclusions.

This topic is interesting as I literally just played a round on Saturday with the first club I ever received from THP. Didn’t realize it until I saw this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never had the chance yet to review anything from THP, however I hope one day I am blessed to do so. With that being said, I have been blessed with my other hobby which is bowhunting. I received a complete set of Broadheads to use. I used them for a complete season and reviewed my thoughts on archerytalk as well as Tagged the company in each of my Social Media accounts. I felt a season was good enough in my opinion.

Back