Ever take your dog golfing?

TLuke

Reaction score
Handicap
None
While vacationing in FL this winter, every night about 5 pm a young man and his German shepherd mix would tee off just across from the backyard pool. He would tether the dog about 10 yards back, ask the dog to lie down, then tee off. He would untether the dog and off they went. Same process through the fairway. I’m sure he wiped the dog’s paws and face off after the round. Most enjoyable thing to watch. I’m almost positive the dog helped him find his ball and line up putts!

I play with a guy from time to time who brings his golden retriever. Dog sits in the seat calm, never ventures far from the cart. Very well trained.

That’s the dream 100%. My dog is a great pup, but rather excitable, so it wouldn’t work. But a guy can dream!
79F69D26-8B54-4BBC-AC86-6F0F08F9341C.jpeg

I have once, and brought my wife too... she managed pup while I played. It was a little slow for her though.
I’m hopeful to make it happen again though.

Nope. Would be a disaster. Very active 2 yr old male GWP. I walk him using a pinch collar as he is all go. No way he would stay calm for a 4 hr round let alone 1 hole. 🤣

I would love to do it off season, but it's not allowed here.

I wish I could! My German Shepherd would be great on the golf course, I am absolutely confident in his behavior, and know I could tell him to sit or lie and stay while the group is hitting or putting, and he would do just that. Just by his nature he stays right with me anyway, so no worries of him wondering around bothering anyone. Unfortunately I know of no courses around here that allow it, and I will never go the BS "support dog" route.

Funny that you posted this thread as there is a local municipal course here that has not opened for golf for the season but they have been open for dog walking. I drove by the course recently thinking it may have been open for play. The parking lot was full of cars
I play with a guy from time to time who brings his golden retriever. Dog sits in the seat calm, never ventures far from the cart. Very well trained.

Wouldn't mind if some golfers I played with were like that dog. :LOL:

No thanks. Ive got enough things to worry about when i play and try and enjoy my round. I dont need my dog or anyone elses dog for that matter disrupting my personal golfing time

it would be fun, but fear the barking and boredom might ruin the round. Are golf courses generally dog friendly?

I took mine twice a few weeks ago when walking 9 before the course officially re-opened. The weather was a little cooler then and he did fine. He is ten and a half years old so definitely didn't want to overextend him or try it when temps are over 75.

Played today with a guy who brought along his French Bulldog. Cute little thing. He kept her on a leash. She pulled over his push cart a couple of times. A little distracting, but my main takeaway was how much the guy (a widower) loves his dog.

Taking my dogs golfing with me would be catastrophe. High intensity, high energy, super intelligent. Now if we had a job to keep geese off the course, we'd be rock stars. They LOVE working. :cool:

No chance, with any of the 4 we currently have. They bark at me enough when I walk through the door, as it is.

There are Dog Days at the courses here, and we took our little chihuahua a couple times last year. He'll stay in or near the cart or us, and is really well behaved, but a bit needy. I'd never bring him alone. The deal was I look after you, you look after the dog, and it was fine. I guarantee she's going to want to bring him out with us in the next couple weeks, because she's been missing him.

My dog would not do well golfing if I was walking as he is an English Bulldog and would most likely quit about 4 - 5 holes in. He'd be fine in a cart.

no, we have a frenchie and he'd go absolutely ape poo poo everywhere. but then again he'd probably tire his little body out in about 5 minutes and lay in the cart the rest of the round..

My local course has an adopted dog that lives there in the cart shed. The pro shop staff keeps a water and food bowl for her in front of the pro shop lawn and she has regulars who bring her treats and stuff. There is also a jar on the pro shop counter for donations to buy her food and get her shots etc. she’s well loved and taken care of because when you see her out and about on the course she always looks like a little barrel with legs. Best of all, her name is....... “Birdie”

I have played with a couple of guys that have dogs and they stay in the cart for the most part. I would never bring a dog to the golf course, even if I had one.

Yup, our yellow lab is the "course" dog. We tee off on 1 and let him out as we walk/drive by. I carry a leash & bags in my bag and the same are in our cart. He doesn't get in the bunkers nor walks on the greens but he keeps the squirrels in check as well as makes sure the ponds are full enough to swim in.

Nope, when I had a dog he stayed home. My wife and I never took him anywhere.

Nope our lab would not do well. He loves people & would whine until someone paid attention to him.

No but Id love to. The only problem is my dog is a boxer/lab mix, so she loves people and shes also the cutest dog in the world, so everyone loves her back. It would be a disaster. LOL

for a well trained pup this seems awesome. In a lot of way a dog is the perfect golfing partner. No stupid conversations you don't care about, no need keep conversation going, no wise cracks when you slice a tee ball to hell, and the genuinely want you to be happy!

Funny that you posted this thread as there is a local municipal course here that has not opened for golf for the season but they have been open for dog walking. I drove by the course recently thinking it may have been open for play. The parking lot was full of cars

Wouldn't mind if some golfers I played with were like that dog. :LOL:
Our course allows dog walking when it is not open in winter, as well.

I would love to do that but my dogs are total morons. Since they are golden retrievers they would constantly be chasing the ball and the squirrels/rabbits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back