Everyone says, get fit, but here's a reason why you really want to get fit.

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
Recently went to Palm Springs for a vacation. In addition to playing golf on their spectacular golf courses, I scheduled an iron fitting and driver fitting with True Spec. I've previously had an iron fitting at Club Champion so I was curious to see if there was any difference between the two. I've never had a fitting for a driver.

Iron fitting was very similar to what I experienced at CC. First they collect some baseline data with your current irons and then using the same head that you are currently using, they try a number of shafts to see if any of them can improve on your baseline data. If they can, then they will then try a number of heads combined with the different shaft to see if they can further improve your performance. After 75 minutes, what we found is that what I am using could only be improved by a few yards... less than half a club. We both agreed that it would not be worth it to change from what I am currently playing in my irons. Consequently, he said he would not charge me for an iron fitting. Nice.

Next we went to the driver. The first thing my fitter noticed is that I was generating a lot of spin with my current driver. He stated this was probably costing me quite a few yards in distance. So we first tried a number of shafts with the same head to see if we could lower the spin. Once again, after finding a shaft that seem to work really well, we then tried a number of heads to see if we could further reduce the spin. Once we combined the new shaft with the head that worked the best, we had achieved a 30 yard gain in distance over my current driver and what was clearly better dispersion. Finally, we returned to my current driver to verify that the distance gain and dispersion improvement was real and not affected by anything else. After we were both convinced that the distance gain and improved dispersion were real, he asked if I wanted to order the new configuration; which of course, I did. He said I might even see more distance gains after I acclimated myself to the new setup.

I don't think the brand names, distances, or specs are required to show that before this fitting, I had no idea that I was generating as much spin off my driver as the data showed. I already had a feeling that my drives were not what they should be. My ball was ballooning and then just dropping out of the sky and so this is what led me to get a fitting for my driver. It's not that I was unhappy with my driver performance, because I am very consistent with it and can generally find the fairway, but I just had the feeling that something was not right.

As a senior golfer, gaining 30 yards with a driver is in my opinion significant and worth the amount I am paying for this new driver. But the added benefit of even tighter dispersion makes it even more worthwhile. I can honestly say that what was selected is NEVER anything that I would have ordered. In my opinion, the specs did not seem to fit my swing speed, but the results speak for themselves.

This makes me think that on my next trip, I may have to get fit for my woods and hybrids because my 3w has never been a good performer for me. Getting fit may be the answer.

That sounds like an awesome fitting and the fitter knew what he was doing for sure. Congrats on the new setup.

Nice job!

I read this and was thinking physical fitness.....Ha

@jjfcpa that is a great result! Let us know how it preforms on course, but it sounds like you will get a lot out of it.

what driver did you get fit in for the gains?

Sounds like you had a great fitting!

Having a fitter that says your current equipment is good and no need to upgrade shows good ethics.

Recently went to Palm Springs for a vacation. In addition to playing golf on their spectacular golf courses, I scheduled an iron fitting and driver fitting with True Spec. I've previously had an iron fitting at Club Champion so I was curious to see if there was any difference between the two. I've never had a fitting for a driver.

Iron fitting was very similar to what I experienced at CC. First they collect some baseline data with your current irons and then using the same head that you are currently using, they try a number of shafts to see if any of them can improve on your baseline data. If they can, then they will then try a number of heads combined with the different shaft to see if they can further improve your performance. After 75 minutes, what we found is that what I am using could only be improved by a few yards... less than half a club. We both agreed that it would not be worth it to change from what I am currently playing in my irons. Consequently, he said he would not charge me for an iron fitting. Nice.

Next we went to the driver. The first thing my fitter noticed is that I was generating a lot of spin with my current driver. He stated this was probably costing me quite a few yards in distance. So we first tried a number of shafts with the same head to see if we could lower the spin. Once again, after finding a shaft that seem to work really well, we then tried a number of heads to see if we could further reduce the spin. Once we combined the new shaft with the head that worked the best, we had achieved a 30 yard gain in distance over my current driver and what was clearly better dispersion. Finally, we returned to my current driver to verify that the distance gain and dispersion improvement was real and not affected by anything else. After we were both convinced that the distance gain and improved dispersion were real, he asked if I wanted to order the new configuration; which of course, I did. He said I might even see more distance gains after I acclimated myself to the new setup.

I don't think the brand names, distances, or specs are required to show that before this fitting, I had no idea that I was generating as much spin off my driver as the data showed. I already had a feeling that my drives were not what they should be. My ball was ballooning and then just dropping out of the sky and so this is what led me to get a fitting for my driver. It's not that I was unhappy with my driver performance, because I am very consistent with it and can generally find the fairway, but I just had the feeling that something was not right.

As a senior golfer, gaining 30 yards with a driver is in my opinion significant and worth the amount I am paying for this new driver. But the added benefit of even tighter dispersion makes it even more worthwhile. I can honestly say that what was selected is NEVER anything that I would have ordered. In my opinion, the specs did not seem to fit my swing speed, but the results speak for themselves.

This makes me think that on my next trip, I may have to get fit for my woods and hybrids because my 3w has never been a good performer for me. Getting fit may be the answer.

Besides the 30 yards (which is HUGE) the confidence in your new club is something that is really hard to qualify. I know for me, when I am confident, especially on the tee, it completely changes the round for me.

Enjoy the new stick, I have been very pleased with my fittings (2) at True Spec. Have not been to Club Champion, but am thinking about a putter fitting so I have some frame of reference.

Nice to hear of your successful fitting process.

what driver did you get fit in for the gains?

I was hoping to leave out the specifics and brands, but since you asked, I'll share with you.

It was an Epic Max LS at 9 degrees (yea, I know), and a Vylyn 45gram shaft. Funny thing was that the height with the 9* was the same as the 10.5 so some how either the shaft was compensating for the lower lofted head or I was compensating with my swing. I've never had an issue getting the ball up in the air. The launch angle was just slightly below where it was with the 10.5.

He thought that either the Taylormade or the Ping (both of which have low spin heads) would do the trick, but they didn't affect it nearly as much as the Epic Max LS.

Having a fitter that says your current equipment is good and no need to upgrade shows good ethics.

I agree 100%. I would have happily paid him for the fitting, because as I said, we spent an hour and fifteen minutes trying to find something better, but he said since we didn't get anything better he didn't want to charge me.

It only took about 30 minutes for the driver fitting.

Back