Explain Your Long Gaps

Driver: 230-260+ depending on what I deliver. Tee only club.
Epic Super Hybrid 2H: Still working on this one... 240 is the goal. Tee only.
3H: 210-215 off the deck, 220-230 off the tee.
4H: 200 off the deck, 210 off the tee.
5I: 185 off the deck, 190 off the tee.

The gap between 4H & 5I seems large but I honestly never run into it. 3H range is my go range for par 5s in two. I might hit a Super Hybrid or 4W if it's wide open. Not a high probability shot for me though.

I’m very satisfied with the gapping at the top of my bag. My 3 wood and hybrids aren’t as consistent as they need to be, but that’s improving. I really built it from the bottom up and I think I’d do it that way again if given the option.
49A78C1A-0DD7-4051-ACDE-EDC29D07DFC6.jpeg

910d2 62g. 9.5. 250-260.
913f 72g. 15. 230-240.
913h. 82g 19. 210-220

716 AP1
4. 90g. 22. 190-200
5. 25. 170-180

Average from past few rounds.

D, 225 - 3w, 200 - 5w, 180, - 7w 160 on average +/-.
My 5i is around 140.

Been playing this set up for a couple of decades.

I don't pay much attention to "bag gaps". It's never been an issue for me.

Most of the time, for example, if if I see a 150 yard shot, I pull a 160 yard club. 100 yard shot, I pull a 110 yard club. I found it to be more beneficial to be a little.more long, than short. I'm putting sooner.

I have a big gap from like 215-245 ish but it never really comes up. My 20 degree driving iron i can hit comfortably about 215, and then my next club is a strong 3 wood that i hit about 250.

For whatever reason, on the courses i play i basically never have any shots in between that--or none of consequence anyway

Driver - 315
15 degree 3 wood - 275
20.5 degree 7 wood - 255-260
4 utility - 245-255
5 iron - 230

Now I feel emasculated...:oops:

:ROFLMAO:

You've only got 50 yards on me on the 5i ... wait, no, only 48.;)

Back to the Stack System....

shotscope tells me this. Ignore the 5wood distance, I've only played 1 shot with it (well I played a few last week but forgot to wear my shotscope watch) it's a new (to me) club that I'm hoping slots in where my hybrid was. I just didn't get along with the hybrid for some reason.
1636394089425.jpeg

Now I feel emasculated...:oops:

You've only got 50 yards on me on the 5i ... wait, no, only 48.;)

Back to the Stack System....

Distance isn't everything..

Distance isn't everything..

It's the only thing....

Bryson.

I recognize what you're saying. But Walmart called. They want to know where to put the store. I pointed to my ball and then yours, and said, "Right between the two."

It's the only thing....

Bryson.

I recognize what you're saying. But Walmart called. They want to know where to put the store. I pointed to my ball and then yours, and said, "Right between the two."

haha. That said. I am trying to get longer too haha.. We all want more..

Interesting. Not sure why you are considering a 7w with that mix. It would seem to me it would not gap well with the others. Also, worth noting is the trajectory with each club. Quite often when pulling a club in the 5w to hybrid range, I'm using it for a long approach, where a higher trajectory is beneficial for holding the green.

Something very weird going on between the 5i and 6i. Since you are using a matched set, I would suspect one of the following:
  • One of these clubs may have gotten damaged and no longer has the loft or lie of the others
  • You may have some outliers in the results for one or the other
  • The quality of the swing you are putting on these two clubs is significantly different, requiring more inspection.

definitely could be a loft issue. the quality of contact of 6i and 5i swings was pretty similar. i was sure to take out any outliers. the ball speeds were pretty similar between the two, though. i would actually be fine with the 5i where it is, and maybe weaken the 6i instead. it would probably gap better. peak on the 5i was 28y, peak on 6i was 29y.

i was thinking 7w for something very easy to launch. but the 3h may be too similar. i honestly don't know what to do at the top. i'm very happy with the driver distance. and i'm somewhat fine with the iron distances (would like about 5 extra yards). it's just that longest iron / hybrid / fairway wood gap that is an issue.

Last edited:
Top of the bag:

Driver, Epic Max LS 8 degree - Carry is 265 to 280 depending on which ball and conditions. Normalized total is 280-310
Fairway, Epic Speed 4-wood ( 16.5 degree ) - Carry ~240-245 yards. Total can be~255 although I;ve booted one or two out to 270.
Hybrid, Apex Pro 3hybrid (20 degree ) - Carry 220-225 yards, Total around the 230 range
4 iron, Apex Pro ( 23 degree ) - Carry ~205-208 yards
5 iron, Apex Pro ( 26 degree ) - Carry ~194 yards

For me my approach was to find ny distance with my 4 iron and work my way up by roughly 15 yard increments +/- and try to stretch so I have a 250ish yard club in my bag.

Driver - Average 280, but I can dial it down or ramp it up reliably to get a range of 250-300
3-wood - Average 245, but this is another versatile club that I can hit high or low. I can hit a soft cut for 230, or a hard, low hook that can get out to 285 with roll
3-Hybrid/19-degrees - I rarely do any kind of shot-making with this, usually playing a slight fade or draw with a carry of 225-230
4-iron - 205 carry, but I can vary with a soft cut or hard, drawing runner (this is the club I'll most often use for escaping trouble with low, hard shots)
5-iron - 192 carry; I'll usually hit stock shots with my 5-iron on down through 9, only varying distance +/- 5-7 yards as needed

I literally don't bag a FW. Driver is about 190 carry and 200ish with some roll, and next up is a 4H that goes 160.

Being a short hitter kind of shrinks the size of my gaps, and I spray driver and FWs whereas the 4H is as accurate as my 7 iron. There is room in my bag for a 5w'ish club to fill the 180 gap (I only use 12 clubs), but it'd have to be consistent for me to put the 4H away.

Last edited:
definitely could be a loft issue. the quality of contact of 6i and 5i swings was pretty similar. i was sure to take out any outliers. the ball speeds were pretty similar between the two, though. i would actually be fine with the 5i were it is, and maybe weaken the 6i instead. it would probably gap better. peak on the 5i was 28y, peak on 6i was 29y.

i was thinking 7w for something very easy to launch. but the 3h may be too similar. i honestly don't know what to do at the top. i'm very happy with the driver distance. and i'm somewhat fine with the iron distances (would like about 5 extra yards). it's just that longest iron / hybrid / fairway wood gap that is an issue.
FWIW, I prefer the 3 hybrid because a hybrid is so much more versatile. For example, I was in the trees the other day 140 yards out and had to hit a low shot between trees and under the limbs and put it on the green with a 3 hybrid. Much harder to do with a wood. But I know there are some who have had no success hitting a hybrid and would opt. for the 7w just because they can hit that club from the fairway and a hybrid they can't.

Just looked and I’ve clearly got some work to do in the 5i spot. I don’t have confidence in the club and only pull it for punch shots. I didn’t put my 4i into the bag.

I also recently swapped out my Mizuno MP-18 SC 6i and 7i for Callaway Apex 19 7i and 8i respectively. The lofts seem to translate well, and the Apex 19 are much more forgiving while still looking beautiful at address.

This is what Arccos has to say.

View attachment 9025963
Update from my last month of play this season. All woods distances are down due to the cold. The other big change is the 5i spot. I picked up a more forgiving club and have been loving it. Easy distances with forgiveness!

FBBD6561-8C8A-4E9B-A30F-752167DF38FC_1_201_a.jpeg

I'm not too concerned about gapping at the top. It is more about dispersion; if I have room right or if there is a solid 70 yards or more of room to still be in play, I will go with a driver. If not, 3W and 3H come into play. If a draw is helpful, I will hit the 3H, too.

D-270
3W-240
3H-220
5i-210

Driver - 250
3w - 235
7w - 220
9w - 200
5i - 185

I don’t get along with hybrids so I carry high lofted fairway woods. Had played Original Callaway Steelhead 4+, 7w and 9w with DGX100 Lite Sensicore steel shafts for over 20 years.

This is the first year I have found other fairway woods that have stuck in my bag for the better part of the season. Usually I would play something else for a few weeks but I always ended up back with the Steelheads.

3w is actually a SIM Ti 5w turned down to 17* @ 42.5” with Diamana FW75 (shaft works for me so I did not swap it out) so more or less a 4w. Easier to hit and as long for me as most 3 woods.

7w is my primary club for hitting longer shots from the fairway as it is easier to elevate and land softly. TM SIM Max 7w with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red 7.

9w is a club I have played for more than 20 years and for most of those 20 years it has been an Original Callaway Steelhead with DGX100 Lite steel shaft. Now moved to a TM SIM Max 9w with Diamana D+ 80.

Our league plays at a course with 2 of par 3’s playing between 185 - 205 and the 9w is like a 200 yard PW. I can still mishit it but no where near as bad as a 3 iron.

I have not carried any iron lower than 5 iron for over 20 years.

Nothing to report - still settling on a bag and grooving a new swing.

Back