Extra-Large Bag? (Lots of head-covers...)

Twists

Reaction score
I'm looking for an extra-large bag as a gift that should be able to hold a set of clubs dominated by woods and hybrids (think 10 head covers). Any recommendations?

For a cart bag, check out the OGIO Convoy.
A guy I play with uses it and has it filled with woods up to the 9 wood and 4 hybrids as well.

Sun mountain c130 is 14 way and more room than any other bag.

Plus true full length dividers

If the bag will be used on a pushcart, beware of bags that are designed for power carts with the woods to be the furthest away, irons and putter closest to the player getting them from the cart. (Aside..I never liked that setup anyway on a cart.) On a pushcart the woods will sit closet to the player and the irons hang down banging into the graphite shafts of the woods. It isn't necessarily a matter of just switching the placement as some of these bags are higher at the "wood end" with a carry handle where the maker figures the woods should go. This makes it difficult for wedges to sit well in those spots. Some of the Sun Mountain and Callaway ones I recently looked at would make them a no go for me on a pushcart.

I recommend the Ping Pioneer. Works on push or power carts. Built like iron, tons of pockets and 15 large slots with full length dividers. One of those can be left open for a little extra room in a headcover flower garden. Or it's slightly lighter sister, the Traverse (6.1 lbs vs 7.1 for the Pioneer.) I have both. The Pioneer feels a bit heavier than that difference carrying it from the car, probably from the bulk and weight distribution, but not that different actually on the cart.

When you do the shopping, assuming it's in person, I recommend you take a luggage scale to compare the weights and feel.

10.5 Big Dog.jpg

I have a staff bag, and use larger than normal head covers on my 4 metal woods. I use hand puppets for head covers. They take up a lot of room. Luckily I know where to look when selecting a iron.

Back when I purchased this bag, it was considered very large. I saw a large (huge) bag the other day that made mine look like a Sunday carry, 5 club bag.

So taking in the size of the head covers should definitely be considered when selecting a bag.

I was told the new 2021 Sun Mountain bags will be released this month. Did anyone see a preview online of the new C-130? Looks most suitable so far for a lot of long clubs.

I use a Cleveland Staff bag, I carry 1/3/5 +3H, my irons are Cleveland Launcher HB with hc's. I have no problems with it.

Attachments

• 1597587776891.png
    1597587776891.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 7
Ping Pioneer that I've had the last two seasons mostly used with my pushcart and it's the largest and best bag I've ever owned. 15 dividers, magnetic ball pocket, large cooler pocket that self drains.

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 10.38.09 AM.png

If the bag will be used on a pushcart, beware of bags that are designed for power carts with the woods to be the furthest away, irons and putter closest to the player getting them from the cart. (Aside..I never liked that setup anyway on a cart.) On a pushcart the woods will sit closet to the player and the irons hang down banging into the graphite shafts of the woods. It isn't necessarily a matter of just switching the placement as some of these bags are higher at the "wood end" with a carry handle where the maker figures the woods should go. This makes it difficult for wedges to sit well in those spots. Some of the Sun Mountain and Callaway ones I recently looked at would make them a no go for me on a pushcart.

I recommend the Ping Pioneer. Works on push or power carts. Built like iron, tons of pockets and 15 large slots with full length dividers. One of those can be left open for a little extra room in a headcover flower garden. Or it's slightly lighter sister, the Traverse (6.1 lbs vs 7.1 for the Pioneer.) I have both. The Pioneer feels a bit heavier than that difference carrying it from the car, probably from the bulk and weight distribution, but not that different actually on the cart.

When you do the shopping, assuming it's in person, I recommend you take a luggage scale to compare the weights and feel.
That pioneer is a great looking bag. Really like that cooler.

That pioneer is a great looking bag. Really like that cooler.

I'm on my second Traverse and third Ping bag and they both hold up really well. The Pioneer especially seems bulletproof.

The Traverse cooler is well, "cool" too and quite large. Easy access, the lower front pocket below the rangefinder pocket.

That front pocket spot on the Pioneer (at least for me) is my ball/glove pocket. On the Pioneer the cooler is between the front pocket and rangefinder pocket. If one really packs up the front ball pocket it can reduce the cooler size but it still is large. I'm sure some people instead would use use the magnetic top pocket on the Pioneer balls (which I see from the above poster is what Ping suggests). I put in the magnetic one sunscreen, Advil, tees and ball markers, etc. generally in ziplocks. Stuff I probably only want to get at once but are at an easy height to see. It's pretty roomy.

Here are a couple of comparison pics, the Ping is the grey one. The loaded Traverse may look wider on the left side than the Pioneer empty as it has some goodies in the side pocket.

IMG_0350.JPGIMG_0388.JPG

Last edited:
They are both on my investigate list now.

I'm on my second Traverse and third Ping bag and they both hold up really well. The Pioneer especially seems bulletproof.

The Traverse cooler is well, "cool" too and quite large. Easy access, the lower front pocket below the rangefinder pocket.

That front pocket spot on the Pioneer (at least for me) is my ball/glove pocket. On the Pioneer the cooler is between the front pocket and rangefinder pocket. If one really packs up the front ball pocket it can reduce the cooler size but it still is large. I'm sure some people instead would use use the magnetic top pocket on the Pioneer balls (which I see from the above podster is what Ping suggests). I put in the magnetic one sunscreen, Advil, tees and ball markers, etc. generally in ziplocks. Stuff I probably only want to get in once but are at an easy height to see. It's pretty roomy.

Here are a couple of comparison pics, the Ping is the grey one. The loaded Traverse may look wider on the left side than the Pioneer empty as it has some goodies in the side pocket.

View attachment 8958301View attachment 8958302
That is a GREAT headcover on your driver!!

I’m a fan of the Sun Mountain bags.

That front pocket spot on the Pioneer (at least for me) is my ball/glove pocket. On the Pioneer the cooler is between the front pocket and rangefinder pocket. If one really packs up the front ball pocket it can reduce the cooler size but it still is large. I'm sure some people instead would use use the magnetic top pocket on the Pioneer balls (which I see from the above poster is what Ping suggests). I put in the magnetic one sunscreen, Advil, tees and ball markers, etc. generally in ziplocks. Stuff I probably only want to get at once but are at an easy height to see. It's pretty roomy.

View attachment 8958301View attachment 8958302
Edit: Using the Pioneer for a powercart round today. Moved the balls into what Ping says is the magnetic ballpocket. Still plenty of room there and I think it might weight-balance a bit better carrying it to the car.

Loading the Pioneer this morning, the sturdiness, wide club slots (and the 15th slot giving even more space) and storage including two very large waterproof pockets convinced me to take the Pioneer over the slightly smaller Traverse on a coming buddies golf trip which will be powercart golf. With Covid we're driving separately so we're avoiding the how to jam four bags in a vehicle.

They are both great bags for push or powercart but since saving a tad more room isn't an issue, I'll take the Pioneer. Part of that decision is that while this Traverse has great colours I think, the front in that colour scheme under the carry handle where it sits on the cart is white. The one design booboo in my opinion, at least for that colour scheme, that I didn't consider on the recent purchase. Dirt should wipe off and/or I could wipe the cart area before loading but that's more attention to detail than I want to portray on a buddies trip!

Last edited:
Ogio Silencer Cart Bag. Keeps things nice and separated so your many headcovers should be good

Back