Face balanced putters

One hears a lot of talk. I've heard people talk about "releasing the putter", "closing the gate," etc.

If you use your hands to manipulate the putter, my thoughts are that a non face balanced putter is easier to manipulate, whereas a face balanced and/or high MOI face balanced putter do not want to turn in your hands.

I never understood the closing the gate stuff, as I just wanted the putter to square up at impact along the arc, i.e.. remain square to the arc.

I've putted with face balanced, toe at 4:30, etc., high MOI face balanced, face balanced at impact - SeeMore mFGP ... using the same stroke, which is a slight arc while remaining square to the arc. I do not turn my wrists over - "close the gate."

What you've said about using your hands to manipulate the putter is exactly why I changed my stroke to sbst and a high moi fb putter. I was yipping left and right so now with the high moi Ping it doesn't want to turn. Using a shoulder rock stroke my hands are locked allowing the putter to do the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up a face balanced Yes! Stephanie FB long putter that converted into a counterbalance. I've never used one before but my instinct has always been a SBST stroke so I'm hoping that this will help me out. I usually have trouble getting my ball on line consistently and I'm really hoping this is the answer. Early returns are good in that regard, but after my less than scientific counterbalancing process, that sucker weighs a ton. I'm concerned about speed control with something that heavy. Gonna spend the evening at the course tonight so I hope to learn more.

I just picked up a face balanced Yes! Stephanie FB long putter that converted into a counterbalance. I've never used one before but my instinct has always been a SBST stroke so I'm hoping that this will help me out. I usually have trouble getting my ball on line consistently and I'm really hoping this is the answer. Early returns are good in that regard, but after my less than scientific counterbalancing process, that sucker weighs a ton. I'm concerned about speed control with something that heavy. Gonna spend the evening at the course tonight so I hope to learn more.
Definitely curious to see how you like it. I grew up trying to be as straight back and through as possible (my old man just taught me that way) so im very interested to see if something face balanced would compliment that.

Definitely curious to see how you like it. I grew up trying to be as straight back and through as possible (my old man just taught me that way) so im very interested to see if something face balanced would compliment that.
So far, so good. It certainly passed the carpet putting test over the last two days. I did, however, have to change my grip from left hand low to left hand under to compensate for how vertical the shaft is from being a long putter originally. There is some constant adjustment happening there, but it is far from uncomfortable. Ill keep you posted

IMO, its really more feel than anything else. Some people like the feeling of the toe rotating throughout the swing, some like to feel that the putter has more stability.
I dont buy into the, "straight back, straight through" philosophy because you cant swing something around a fixed point in the straight line. I can buy into square back, square through but straight back, straight through? Nah.

I agree it's impossible to swing straight through the arc point of your spine but square back square through sounds more realistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you are doing the "Wie" as in Michelle and getting horizontal, a SBST is tough for the reasons mentioned above.

I believe a mild arc is your best bet for having a square face at impact.

For many, a high MOI face balanced putter with weight helps them, especially those who get a little nervous over a putt at times, or they want a more relaxed grip without worrying about the putting twisting.

For others, a non-face balanced works as they are more relaxed and enjoy a little more feel of the arc. Maybe something like Stan Utley. At the same time, even Stan does not have a severe arc. I've seen others who manipulate their hands a little too much for my taste, but it works for them.

Grip and Setup is also integral -- I like to keep it as neutral as possible.

I dont buy into the, "straight back, straight through" philosophy because you cant swing something around a fixed point in the straight line. I can buy into square back, square through but straight back, straight through? Nah.

I don't buy into this either but what I do buy into is that a face balance putter does a better job of squaring itself up at impact especially on shorter putts...but then again maybe I just have the confidence it does??? LOL

I don't buy into this either but what I do buy into is that a face balance putter does a better job of squaring itself up at impact especially on shorter putts...but then again maybe I just have the confidence it does??? LOL

I think a putter that is face balanced at impact does a better job of squaring itself up at impact. I do think some toe hang is helps close the face due to the natural arc of the stroke.

Yeah, I really like this putter. It is really easy to get the ball on line. The head squares super well. I made every putt under 5 feet last night. Felt really automatic, which I never feel on the greens.

The down side is that I had to change my grip to accommodate how upright this particular putter is, but a little practice made that a non issue. The other is that there is so much weight to the putter that it really takes some effort to hit long putts.

I'm playing again today so I'll have more later on.

I am actually thinking about going back to a FB putter (#7 probably) as I have always found I make a lot more putts within 10 ft to save pars and bogeys (U/D) than I ever do with a toe hanging putter. The challenge for me with a FB putter had always been distance putting as you know we don't often hit it to within ten feet on approach shots...LOL But the critical distance is inside of 10 feet to shoot good scores IMHO...so I had given my current putter a chance but I think it is time to go back to FB and practice lag putting with it??? Probably going shopping this weekend?

I've been trying out the versa #7 and I really like the feel/sound/look, but I still play most rounds with my white hot because distance control/lag putting with the 7 is difficult. Like you said I'm just going to keep practicing with it and game both putters.

I've been trying out the versa #7 and I really like the feel/sound/look, but I still play most rounds with my white hot because distance control/lag putting with the 7 is difficult. Like you said I'm just going to keep practicing with it and game both putters.

Yes lag putting will always be the challenege with a FB putter...I now have gone to the TM Ghost Spider SI at 38in and since I don't practice much I so struggle some with lag putting but like I said earlier I am starting to make a lot more putts inside of 6-8 feet which is what can save a round. Good luck but I think you will really love the Versa 7 on short to medium putts. I guess we all just need to learn how to hit it closer...LOL

I moved to the Nike Method Mod 00 (0 degrees of toe hang) and have been holeing more longer putts than ever. My stroke is very slight arc, the 0 to hang helps me keep the putter square.
My previous putter was a Nike Method 002 that had some sever toe hang and I would tend to pull putts to the left. Didnt know I was able to hook a putt lol

I moved to the Nike Method Mod 00 (0 degrees of toe hang) and have been holeing more longer putts than ever. My stroke is very slight arc, the 0 to hang helps me keep the putter square.
My previous putter was a Nike Method 002 that had some sever toe hang and I would tend to pull putts to the left. Didnt know I was able to hook a putt lol

Well that is great news and I guess like any other thing in golf each of us react to clubs differently. I just was listing out the tendencies I had found when using a FB putter...I also lagged putted better with a toe hang putter but could never seem to get the face square on shorter putts...or at least not as consistently as I could with a FB putter. I once had a coach that said carry two putters then. Thought about it but never tried it???

Yes lag putting will always be the challenege with a FB putter...I now have gone to the TM Ghost Spider SI at 38in and since I don't practice much I so struggle some with lag putting but like I said earlier I am starting to make a lot more putts inside of 6-8 feet which is what can save a round. Good luck but I think you will really love the Versa 7 on short to medium putts. I guess we all just need to learn how to hit it closer...LOL

Nice I feel like counterbalancing might be the answer. I'll probably end up playing most my rounds at the end of summer-early fall and will post here with my thoughts.

Why would fb make lag putting harder? I just moved to a fb putter and haven't seen my lag putts getting worse

Why would fb make lag putting harder? I just moved to a fb putter and haven't seen my lag putts getting worse

I doesn't have to be...that has just been my experience. When I use to practice with it I got pretty good at lag putting with a FB but I had to practice. Just my 2 cents.

I doesn't have to be...that has just been my experience. When I use to practice with it I got pretty good at lag putting with a FB but I had to practice. Just my 2 cents.
Right on i was just curious. Haven't had that problem but everyone is different

I do have a lot more reps with my white hot, so maybe a comfort thing for me. One thing I forgot to mention is that I didn't have the #7 set up exactly like #1. I have a good amount of lead tape on the head and shaft of the #1. I do have lead tape on the #7 but didn't put enough on the shaft. I added more and it feels better(only carpet putting). Hopefully be able to test it out next week.

I do have a lot more reps with my white hot, so maybe a comfort thing for me. One thing I forgot to mention is that I didn't have the #7 set up exactly like #1. I have a good amount of lead tape on the head and shaft of the #1. I do have lead tape on the #7 but didn't put enough on the shaft. I added more and it feels better(only carpet putting). Hopefully be able to test it out next week.
See that makes sense. Weight difference and comfort level i can understand but whether a putter is face balanced or not shouldn't affect speed on lag putts i don't think haha.

Yep. I'm pretty excited to get it back on the greens

Back