Favorite 80 to 95 gram graphite shafts.

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Looking into changing from my i95 steel fibers to something lighter with more feel. MMT Recoil and Paderson Ballistic are a few I was thinking of. What others should I consider

Going to follow along with this one.

My iron shafts are Recoil 65g. Granted, my swing speed is slower than I normally drive. ;)

I’ve enjoyed both the Recoils and Recoil Protos.

Recoil 95 is my go to, but the Recoil Darts in 75 grams are not to be slept on. AeroTech Gener8 is a nice shaft that felt good when I swung it.

Recoils here. Love them

Recoil 95 for me.

MMT 85 Tapers are my favorite. They add a little swing weight, don't spin too much, and for me, they were pin hunters in the fall/winter in my Honma. They give a lower flight than the Recoils.

I also like the SmacWrap 780ES but I'm converting the 223's and i59 to MMT 85. Think I like the irons at D2.5-3, the sledgehammer effect.

I've owned Recoil 95 but I like things dampened a little more. Have never held on to them for long. Wanted to like them.

There is the Accra i95 Constant Weight - more dampening and lively than the Recoil. But still prefer the MMT 85.

Played the Mitsubishi OT but felt dead although accurate - not lively at all.

MMT 85 Tapers are my favorite. They add a little swing weight, don't spin too much, and for me, they were pin hunters in the fall/winter in my Honma. They give a lower flight than the Recoils.

I also like the SmacWrap 780ES but I'm converting the 223's and i59 to MMT 85. Think I like the irons at D2.5-3, the sledgehammer effect.

I've owned Recoil 95 but I like things dampened a little more. Have never held on to them for long. Wanted to like them.

There is the Accra i95 Constant Weight - more dampening and lively than the Recoil. But still prefer the MMT 85.

Played the Mitsubishi OT but felt dead although accurate - not lively at all.
How do the MMT and smac wraps compare in flex. I like the f4 flex in smac wrap. Curious as how it compares to mmt

How do the MMT and smac wraps compare in flex. I like the f4 flex in smac wrap. Curious as how it compares to mmt

I'd say similar, I take R flex in both, but the shafts are different in terms launch/spin, shaft characteristics, I believe.

💯 really enjoy the MCA MMT 95S shafts

I've used Recoils and MMTs in this weight class. Currently using MMT 95s and am a big fan but if I could have any shaft I wanted, I would go Recoils. They just feel better all around. Better feedback, less stress on mishits and I feel like the head is MUCH easier to keep track of with them. Saying all that though, you won't go wrong with MMTs either.

Of the shafts I’ve tried, these are what I like:

1. Accra Tour TiMesh
2. Recoil 95
3. Project X Catalyst
4. Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap

I want to try the Recoil 95 Proto shafts.

I've used Recoils and MMTs in this weight class. Currently using MMT 95s and am a big fan but if I could have any shaft I wanted, I would go Recoils. They just feel better all around. Better feedback, less stress on mishits and I feel like the head is MUCH easier to keep track of with them. Saying all that though, you won't go wrong with MMTs either.

Amazing how people feel things differently. I fit myself through 15 yrs of hitting graphite shafts to know what works best for me. Hopefully, you won't have to experience my hit and miss and can find a good fitter.

Find out what feel you like in a shaft and gravitate towards those shafts to find one. For example, I like shafts that feel smooth and a bit lively. That's why I gravitate to SmacWrap, Accra, and MMT. But then I found Accra balance points don't get my swing weight in certain lighter weights, and the club guy must put tungsten, tip weights, etc. I don't want that. So I limit the choices to SmacWrap, Dart if I want 75g, and MMT Taper, which is a current favorite because it is smooth. Not as lively as the others but may be more stable and I am liking its accuracy. So much so, that I am using MMT60 in fwys.

I found MMT tapers to be much smoother/dampening than a Recoil 95, while the SmacWraps have more of the feel of the MMT but the tip of the SmacWrap is a little softer, giving more height. MMT Tapers had less spin and height. I also like the fact the MMT gives you some swing weight while in other graphite shafts, you see a lot of crap in shafts to change the balance and get more swing weight .

I hit more pins with the MMT in 3-4 months than I had with any other shaft over the last decade. Of course, I am playing the MMT 85 Tapers in R Flex and am on the cusp of S flex - but just prefer the feel and control that I still get with the R flex.

I wish UST made the Dart in a 85g weight - I'd try it.

Just got to find what works for you - save time and money by spending a little with a fitter who has lots and lots of shafts.

Last edited:
I have played graphite now for about 7 years now and have played Steelfibre, Recoil, Smacwrap & currently MMT. I have played between 86 gm to 95 gm. I have found all versions are very good but it is important to get the weight and shaft profile that matches your swing and what you want to feel out of the shaft. Everyone is different. My biggest mistake has been not getting fitted but with very little options available in my area and historically I bought second hand I purchased by trial and error.

I enjoyed them all but some be it the weight, flex or profile just did not optimize my swing and expectations. I have never had with any OEM any problems with quality or consistency … everything top notch. If you can save yourself some trouble and try to find someone who has all the major brands/weights in their fitting cart and using your current or new head, get fitted to the best shaft that aligns eith that head. A good fitter can easily see which one rises to the top. Good luck.

Have tried:

Catalyst 80
Recoil 95
Recoil SmacWrap
Diamana White 95g

Honestly I liked them all. The recoils have a little softer tip and more action on the ball. The Catalyst and Diamana are pretty stiff at the tip. That's the big difference I can tell.

I have Recoil 80s in my Ping G710s (I was fitted for these shafts) and love them.

Will be in OKC Tuesday either drop in Golf Galaxy and try some shaft or if Club Champion has an opening. 175 dollar iron fitting is cheap in the long run.

Fitting scheduled Tuesday 130.

Looking forward to seeing what numbers are. Have never done an actual fitting. Should be enlightening

Recoils are hard to beat. I’m really liking the Cypher shafts I have now.

Have Recoils and MMTs in my two current iron sets. Very much an improvement over the KBS Tour 90s they replaced. The Recoils flight slightly higher for me. I’m a bit happier with the MMT flight pattern for my game, especially in the mid short irons. Conversely, I seem to prefer the Recoils in the mid longer irons and hybrids.

Dang, that gives an idea for a test to see if I can really screw up my game. Blend my sets with 5-7 JPX-900 Recoils and 8-PW 0211 MMT.

Hope your fitting goes well and provides you some enlightenment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have Recoils and MMTs in my two current iron sets. Very much an improvement over the KBS Tour 90s they replaced. The Recoils flight slightly higher for me. I’m a bit happier with the MMT flight pattern for my game, especially in the mid short irons. Conversely, I seem to prefer the Recoils in the mid longer irons and hybrids.

Dang, that gives an idea for a test to see if I can really screw up my game. Blend my sets with 5-7 JPX-900 Recoils and 8-PW 0211 MMT.

Hope your fitting goes well and provides you some enlightenment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's one reason I did not go up in flex on MMT 85 Tapers - I wanted a higher flight while retaining control being on the cusp between R and S flex.

Over the years I have played...
Matrix Ozik Programs - probably not available any more
Recoil Protos
MRC OTis

My favorite and current gamers are MRC OT taper iron shafts. They were lower spin than MMTs for me.

Over the years I have played...
Matrix Ozik Programs - probably not available any more
Recoil Protos
MRC OTis

My favorite and current gamers are MRC OT taper iron shafts. They were lower spin than MMTs for me.

If lower spin than MMT Tapers, then:oops: for me. I thought the OT were lifeless but accurate. Had a friend who would not take the PXG 0311 off my hands because of the OT's. He did not like them either.

Just shows you that we are all different, which is great. Makes the world more interesting.

Back