First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

You're currently playing King Tours right? Why would you regret it?
They will be replaced at years end. Not much different than what I have.

Feels weird to say this, but I love the Apex DCB irons, even though I'm not always sure whats going to happen when I hit them. Distance is there and then some, the feel is amazing with the Recoil Dart shafts. I just have have a tendency to close the face (old habits) and when that happens who knows where I'll end up. 8 iron through PW are pretty consistent, but the longer irons can be a bit wild.

Either way - pretty happy I went with the DCB's. There was some regret early because the Rogue ST Max went really really far when I hit, but it almost seemed like too much. DCB's check every box so far.

Looking forward to the latter part of the year when the kids activities die down and I do some range work with these. I think it'll make a world of difference.

Went in to the year excited as could be with my TCBs.

I got to California in December and was ready to hit the new hotness. I was coming from Apex Pros from 21 so my ball striking is decent even though the Pros are some of the most forgiving players distance irons I've ever hit. Now I say they are forgiving because I still use a whole lot of the face even though I am able to find the center relatively regularly too. I knew I needed that forgiveness but we are at ECPC and they actually had a fitting set of TCBs for lefties. I thought why not, I'm only here once, might as wells see how I can hit them. Turns out I hit them good enough to have Gerritt tell me that they would work for me. And that's with a swing that was FAR from dialed. I was on cloud 9 hearing that. I knew I could hit them. Now it came down to hitting them well

Fast forward about three months in to our season and all I can say is I'm thankful I had a decent enough swing to be fit in to these that day.

I've mentioned it before but I'll mention it again. These are relatively demanding irons. Yes, they still have forgiveness. They will keep the line but the distance suffers. I'm not mad about that at all though because what I lose in distance forgiveness, I gain in distance control on normal strikes. I know EXACTLY how far these go on good shots and can trust that distance 100% of the time. GIR percentage with even decent lies with these hover around 70%. That's unreal and it comes from knowing my distance and trusting it. I've never been more comfortable with a 7-PW

Notice I didn't say 5i or 6i. And that's because of me. The whole set is demanding. I just struggle with long irons. Always have. My Nike Vapor Flys, my Cobra Forged Tec, my Apex Pros and the TCBs. It's been something I've been working really hard on and it a bit of a mental block. Slowly but surely I'm getting out of that though. For a short time I put my Pro 5-6 in the bag and still struggled. TCBs are again back in the bag and I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with a bit of range work I've been doing.

Last thing I will say, and I think I've made a mention of it every time I post. The feel of these are unmatched. Any iron I end up hitting in the future will have a lot to live up to with these butter soft clubs.

Well first round in the books with my new Apex TCB’s‘s and WOW! I am hesitant to say but I don’t know if I will ever hit my ‘21 Apex Pros again. These felt that good.

Everything I’ve heard about the TCB’s and what I felt when I demoed them at a Callaway fitting session 6-8 weeks ago on my home course continued during today’s round. They are so soft and solid through impact. I hit all my shots with the same club as I would’ve with my Apex Pros and saw no loss in distance. I actually hit some even longer than my Pro’s?

I will add this was my first round with the new Aerotech Steelfibre i95 shafts as my Apex Pros have the MMT 95s, both in stiff flex. I was a little hesitant that the Steelfibre might be too stiff but if the first round is an indicator they are a great fit. I was surprised how straight the ball flight went on probably 90% of the shots.

I have 3 rounds this weekend to give them a more extensive test and will decide which shafts will end up in the TCB’s. Looking forward to the next phase. Kudos to everyone who provided glowing reviews on the TCB’s cause if the first 18 is an indicator, you were spot on.

Well first round in the books with my new Apex TCB’s‘s and WOW! I am hesitant to say but I don’t know if I will ever hit my ‘21 Apex Pros again. These felt that good.

Everything I’ve heard about the TCB’s and what I felt when I demoed them at a Callaway fitting session 6-8 weeks ago on my home course continued during today’s round. They are so soft and solid through impact. I hit all my shots with the same club as I would’ve with my Apex Pros and saw no loss in distance. I actually hit some even longer than my Pro’s?

I will add this was my first round with the new Aerotech Steelfibre i95 shafts as my Apex Pros have the MMT 95s, both in stiff flex. I was a little hesitant that the Steelfibre might be too stiff but if the first round is an indicator they are a great fit. I was surprised how straight the ball flight went on probably 90% of the shots.

I have 3 rounds this weekend to give them a more extensive test and will decide which shafts will end up in the TCB’s. Looking forward to the next phase. Kudos to everyone who provided glowing reviews on the TCB’s cause if the first 18 is an indicator, you were spot on.
Love to hear this man! I LOVE my Pros but TCBs are that freaking good that I can second that you won't hit them again 🔥 TCBs are addicting. Especially when you're ON with them!

It really is cool to hear you guys falling in love with them. Makes me remember it all. The first time out with them, the feels, the shots that let me know they were the right choice. All of it so much fun. 😍

I have my sights set on the APEX 21. I am currently playing the APex 16 Pros and I just don't play enough anymore to continue with the pro line, but I don't want to sacrifice the looks and feel. I have a Callaway PUD discount so I guess I won't be venturing outside of Cally even though the Srixon and Mizunos are probably my #1 and #2 choices just in terms of looks and feel. I like the APEX too though and know I wouldn't regret it.

Biggest problem I am running into is that I have Project X PXI 6.0 in my current clubs and it seems that all similar shafts are out of stock everywhere. Any suggestions on shafts to look at? I haven't hit them in awhile, but my experience with the C-Tapers didn't go well. I know the Project X IO is supposed to be modeled after their PXI line according to the website, but the specs seem to tell a different story. I wanted to go the Modus route, but they are out of stock and no date in site for restock.

Also, my other concern is the PW being so strong. I will need to get some wedges unless I go with the AW as well. Any experiences with the AW in this thread? Do you prefer it over a traditional wedge (i.e. Vokey, JAWS, etc)?

I have my sights set on the APEX 21. I am currently playing the APex 16 Pros and I just don't play enough anymore to continue with the pro line, but I don't want to sacrifice the looks and feel. I have a Callaway PUD discount so I guess I won't be venturing outside of Cally even though the Srixon and Mizunos are probably my #1 and #2 choices just in terms of looks and feel. I like the APEX too though and know I wouldn't regret it.

Biggest problem I am running into is that I have Project X PXI 6.0 in my current clubs and it seems that all similar shafts are out of stock everywhere. Any suggestions on shafts to look at? I haven't hit them in awhile, but my experience with the C-Tapers didn't go well. I know the Project X IO is supposed to be modeled after their PXI line according to the website, but the specs seem to tell a different story. I wanted to go the Modus route, but they are out of stock and no date in site for restock.

Also, my other concern is the PW being so strong. I will need to get some wedges unless I go with the AW as well. Any experiences with the AW in this thread? Do you prefer it over a traditional wedge (i.e. Vokey, JAWS, etc)?
@xThor should be able to help you a bit with shaft options they have available! Also you could just swap shafts from your 16s to the 21s. Not sure if 16 pros were taper tip or not but they could be shimmed

Another good round with the Apex Pro in league this morning. This last little stretch is the best I’ve hit irons ever.

Big thing I am liking right now is distances feel so predictable.

@xThor should be able to help you a bit with shaft options they have available! Also you could just swap shafts from your 16s to the 21s. Not sure if 16 pros were taper tip or not but they could be shimmed

The PX IO would likely be what you want, specs may be different but it’ll be closest in characteristic feel.

it is readily in stock In reg and stiff, x will be ready by this weekend.

I’m a big proponent of going AW with the set due to the tech package and loft, with that being more of a full swing club nowadays.

The PX IO would likely be what you want, specs may be different but it’ll be closest in characteristic feel.

I’m a big proponent of going AW with the set due to the tech package and loft, with that being more of a full swing club nowadays.
That's my guy!!

Appreciate the response. Took a road trip today to the PGA Superstore after I posted and got a chance to hit the IO's. I really liked it. Numbers looked pretty good. I would need to spend a lot of time dialing them in if I pull the trigger. I am not used to hitting a 7 iron 175. I think I would actually get the 6-AW and skip the 5 iron. I rarely hit a 4 or 5 iron so I would ditch the 4 and keep my Apex 5 iron. My current 4 and 5 iron are not the Pros so the specs line up pretty well.

Appreciate the response. Took a road trip today to the PGA Superstore after I posted and got a chance to hit the IO's. I really liked it. Numbers looked pretty good. I would need to spend a lot of time dialing them in if I pull the trigger. I am not used to hitting a 7 iron 175. I think I would actually get the 6-AW and skip the 5 iron. I rarely hit a 4 or 5 iron so I would ditch the 4 and keep my Apex 5 iron. My current 4 and 5 iron are not the Pros so the specs line up pretty well.

yw. I’ve fit several people in the apex that are the same way. Lots of 5 or 6 to AW. I myself dropped the 4iron

I have played now 4 rounds in 5 days with the TCB’s and have shot 75, 75, 75 & 77 and our relationship has blossomed. Only thing I am worried about is my GIR has risen so much my chipping is getting very limited work 😜. I guess that is a good thing! Anyway I am very happy with my decision so my Apex Pro’s will be going on the market. Great set of irons but the TCB’s are just a step above on the feel side.

On a related front I was also evaluating the Aerotech Steelfibre i95 stiff shafts that came in the TCB’s to see if they were going to stay or be swapped out with the Mitsubishi MMT 95 stiff shafts that are in the Apex Pro’s. I was worried that the Steelfibres might be a tad too stiff compared to my MMT’s but am happy to say we got along just fine. I think the TCB’s combined with the Steelfibres are a good combo. No swapping required.

The Apex Pros were the stars of the show again yesterday during a round where I struggled to get off the tee. Played the par 3’s in +1. It’s been a bit of a change of strategy as I’m not getting any roll with the irons so I pretty much play to carry distance.

1657542855164.png
1657542913369.png
1657542939588.png
1657542966801.png

Attachments

• 1657542874972.png
    1657542874972.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 4
Boy, I know I've got a lot going on when I'm this special.

Got to the course today to find out they were punching, AGAIN. Something about the drought and getting the greens to hold moisture. Well, plans right out the window I realized I had the TCBs in my truck so I decided to throw them on and hit some comparison shots. I mostly forgot early on because I was Jaws Raw'ing and having a good time.

Had an uphill approach on 8, below my feet, and decided to hit both. It's a tough approach. Hardest hole on the course imo.

Hit my 221 9i, fine, good. Hit the TCB 9i and was a tad more left but good again, felt good, and it looked like it carried a bit longer but can't see them from there.

Here's the shot.

And then get up there and

20220712_193855.jpg

and it kind of freaked me out how far it flew and I didn't hit them again because of that until I was almost done. The other one, my actual ball, was a 170 carry that backed up about a foot, playing a good bit up hill. So the TCB was about half a club longer. :oops:. Like i said it freaked me out and I spent a while telling myself they were too hot right now.

Yeah, they're just different lofts right now. :rolleyes: Freaking idiot. So then I regretted not hitting any more and took them to the range after and made more sweet music with them. It was an enjoyable experience. :D:D. Going to have to take them out again soon

#ExtraSpecialDay

Last edited:
The driver game has been failing me lately (even with the new LS in the bag) but surprisingly the iron game has been fantastic. I've struggled all year with the longer irons but the last few rounds they've been amazing. Love love love the feel of the Apex DCBs. It'd be amazing if just once I could all parts of the game together at the same time, but for the time being I'll just enjoy flushing these.

Had my TCB 7i shaft fail on me this weekend so I'm bagging the Apex Pro 7i for the next week or two. I'm actually putting the 5-7 Apex Pros back in the bag to see how that blends for me.

Looked down at the comparisons of the irons last night (should have taken a pic) but it was pretty interesting that the topline looks essentially the same to me. It's the blade length that was surprising. They are compact but it's still pretty noticeable how much longer the Pros are. Was quite confidence inspiring and after the weekend I just had, that's very welcome right now!

Had my TCB 7i shaft fail on me this weekend so I'm bagging the Apex Pro 7i for the next week or two. I'm actually putting the 5-7 Apex Pros back in the bag to see how that blends for me.

Looked down at the comparisons of the irons last night (should have taken a pic) but it was pretty interesting that the topline looks essentially the same to me. It's the blade length that was surprising. They are compact but it's still pretty noticeable how much longer the Pros are. Was quite confidence inspiring and after the weekend I just had, that's very welcome right now!
So I need to talk about the Pro 7i for a second (this applies to the entire set of Pros though). I've spoken about how the TCBs are demanding yet forgiving. Super true. You don't hit the center, you're not going to fly off line but you're going to lose distance. Well with my first shot (since I've had my TCBs) with the Pro 7i last night was something else.

Was struggling finding my iron swing last weekend so I didn't have a ton of confidence last night. Pull up to a par 3 that has had my number this year. I had about 185 which should be my 7i plus some roll if I hit it well. Well I hit what I thought was a garbage shot, saw the line it was going on, which was just left of the pin, but didn't keep watching since it felt awful. Put my club away while the ball was in flight and didn't see it land.

Everyone else hits and we start our walk up to the green. There is a collection area short and left of the green that I've been at home in this year with a plethora of poor shots. I figured I'd be there but when I got up, no ball to be seen. My partner says your left of the green pin high. No way...sure enough there I am, pin high in the left rough. I honestly couldn't believe it. The forgiveness and distance retention on the Pros is absolutely unreal and something I was singing it's praises on last season.

I love my TCBs. I love that they are demanding. But if my swing is as bad as it was last weekend, it can get pretty punishing. Having a little bit more forgiveness in the bag in the 5-7 irons for a month or so is going to be something I think I'm going to very much enjoy!

Played my TCBs this afternoon!! It had been a while since I actually played them for a full round. Lots of fun.

Looks like I only missed 2 greens (didn't realize that), which is pretty crazy for that course, especially in today's condtions. Big 5i into the par 5 first and just rolling from there. Course is only 6500y but the layout varies so it's not all wedges in for me. And there's 5 par 3's, which I played even with the TCBs. Those were the 2 I missed. Had a crosswind with a little help into a 160 pin on #7 so I hit a PW.. and somehow carried the entire green and marked it at 187 yards. Yeah. That happened. :LOL: And the other one was a par 3 uphill and I was between clubs. Totally on me. Lost confidence in the partial and pulled it a few feet into the left rough. Par'd them both though thanks to some real slick Jaws Raw work and good putting.

I'm a little faster than when I played them regularly, even being a little banged up right now, and it was interesting. Good feel off the face. Definitely different than the blades I've been playing all summer. Soft but modern. I can hear them still when I hit them and when I catch a broadcast. Very distinct sound. Look great over the ball.

Actually. I'm gonna upload that ridiculous wedge shot, because the acoustics are TURRIBLE on that tee, which means good for hearing differences, and might be able to on that one.

Hm. Sounds pretty good. Just a little sharper than I'm used to lately. Call it crisp.

Okay, you can definitely hear them better on the first par 3, 185, couldn't tell if the wind was helping or hurting but it was definitely from the left, chippy 7i and thought I bombed it a bit, but the wind held it up nicely.

and again with an 8i into a 184 pin later, same direction

You can hear it's a cool sound. Modern CB, little different pitch. Good. And both little draws held their lines great in that cross breeze and left me great birdie looks. I happened to miss both of those, but the irons were on their game all day.

Last edited:
Okay, you can definitely hear them better on the first par 3, 185, couldn't tell if the wind was helping or hurting but it was definitely from the left, chippy 7i and thought I bombed it a bit, but the wind held it up nicely.

and again with an 8i into a 184 pin later, same direction

You can hear it's a cool sound. Modern CB, little different pitch. Good. And both little draws held their lines great in that cross breeze and left me great birdie looks. I happened to miss both of those, but the irons were on their game all day.

I love the sound of them...so much

Back