First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

My ones with the IO shafts I put in immediately the morning ordering opened up now says backordered. What a bunch of ********.

I'd be upset too!!! I ordered DCBs with Recoil Dart Reg, 1 deg up, GP plus 4 grips...so pretty standard.
Maybe there's not a high demand for the DCBs.

The “backordered” is really puzzling to me. I understand that there have been difficulties in supply chains and have heard something about a barge of heads dumped in the ocean but equipment sales have been on fire since it became evident to to everybody that golf was one thing that would largely continue during the pandemic. With that knowledge for 8 months and with a huge release (I view the Apex/Epic year release as bigger than the other year of Rogue, Mavrik, etc.), you would think that the company would be able to fill at least the orders being submitted directly to the company online. I really don’t understand it, I guess.
Yeah, I don't really care what the reason(s) if it is in fact now on backorder. If I go to bed really late having hoped to catch it right as it opened up, wake up less than 4 hours later to find the ordering open, spend 7 minutes putting in and paying for my order, there's no effing way you shouldn't be able to fulfill that before running into a backorder situation. None. The reason I pursued another option today was because of the rumblings about this happening, and I'll likely be cancelling my other order tomorrow and taking that route with it.

Anyone have some insider info on the possibility and timing of a 50% trade in bonus? Asking for a friend.....

I'd be upset too!!! I ordered DCBs with Recoil Dart Reg, 1 deg up, GP plus 4 grips...so pretty standard.
Maybe there's not a high demand for the DCBs.
I would imagine it could be less. Everyone seems to want the Pros. They're a new design, new tech, new look, where the others seem like less of a departure from the 19's, superficially. If you can't fulfill orders from right off the bat opening morning though, you've made multiple mistakes imo. I would expect one of my own customers to move on to someone else in that situation.

Just received a tracking number for my DCBs!! Status shows picked up/shipped from Monterrey Mexico. Have to check back tomorrow for scheduled delivery date, paid for 2nd day air so hopefully get them for this weekend!!!!
Status shows cleared customs and expected delivery is tomorrow, Feb 4.....we shall see!

Status shows cleared customs and expected delivery is tomorrow, Feb 4.....we shall see!

That’s awesome! I remember my Custom Mav driver shipping quickly last year. Seems some of the custom stuff actually ships faster.

Same thing happened with the Smoke 19s. I switched to a full Pro set because the combo set I ordered the morning pre-order started changed to a two month backorder after a week or so. Of course, then DNevs swooped in and got that order switched and I had the Pros like 4 days later.

Apex DCBs have arrived, ordered Sun and delivered 4 days later!! Gonna get a round in this afternoon.
Pics or you made it up.

Apex DCBs have arrived, ordered Sun and delivered 4 days later!! Gonna get a round in this afternoon.

I’m excited for your feedback. HARD pondering a DCB 5i right now.

Last edited:
All this talk of backorder so I just checked the status of my pros. Pushed back a week from 2/8-2/15 to 2/17-2/23. Hopefully that's the most that happens to mine. I was pumped to get them next week but my swing is trash right now anyway and undeserving of these clubs at the moment :ROFLMAO:

Looks like my Apex irons are still arriving in the next couple weeks. Hoping the dates don't push out!!

Going into town to play with some friends on Saturday and will be driving past the EW on the way home. Going to call to see if they have the new heads to hit finally.

Looks like my Apex irons are still arriving in the next couple weeks. Hoping the dates don't push out!!
Do yours say “backordered?”

MIne went from Being Customized to Backordered to Being Packaged in the span of 3 days. So.. I'm just gonna go with a soft hope that they currently exist beyond a spec sheet, and see when they arrive.

Wanted you to know my status changed @Tenputt

Do yours say “backordered?”
No. My epic max 5 wood did but it was because of the shaft and wasn't going to arrive until mid to late April. I called and had them swap it to a shaft that was in stock

Can you get some offset photos of 4/7/PW ?

Apex DCB initial impressions comparing them to 2019 Big Bertha irons. Overall the DCBs are a smaller package with shorter blade lengths, thinner soles, top lines are very similar, and DCBs have less offset. Both sets have Recoil shafts ZT9 Vs. DART and played very similar. Lofts are identical and I didn't notice and changes in distances but ball flight looked a little higher....maybe due to the DART shafts. Looks like it will be an easy transition for me as the club weights are within a few grams of each other. One thing is the DCB 7/6 irons are about 1/4" shorter in length.

DCBs are quite forgiving but I have to give the edge to the BB 2019s due to their extra blade length. My miss is on the toe side.

I hit some very nice shots with the DCBs and the 7/6 irons are rockets, those interested in adding the 4/5 to your APEX set will like the forgiveness and I highly recommend them! I was able to work the ball a little left and right but for the most part they want to go straight.

I'm a fairly decent player and handicap fluctuates between 9-12, Callaway recommends them for 15+ cappers but I think better players can even play them.

Apex DCB initial impressions comparing them to 2019 Big Bertha irons. Overall the DCBs are a smaller package with shorter blade lengths, thinner soles, top lines are very similar, and DCBs have less offset. Both sets have Recoil shafts ZT9 Vs. DART and played very similar. Lofts are identical and I didn't notice and changes in distances but ball flight looked a little higher....maybe due to the DART shafts. Looks like it will be an easy transition for me as the club weights are within a few grams of each other. One thing is the DCB 7/6 irons are about 1/4" shorter in length.

DCBs are quite forgiving but I have to give the edge to the BB 2019s due to their extra blade length. My miss is on the toe side.

I hit some very nice shots with the DCBs and the 7/6 irons are rockets, those interested in adding the 4/5 to your APEX set will like the forgiveness and I highly recommend them! I was able to work the ball a little left and right but for the most part they want to go straight.

I'm a fairly decent player and handicap fluctuates between 9-12, Callaway recommends them for 15+ cappers but I think better players can even play them.

excellent info! seems like a lot of people are surprised in a good way when they see the dcb in person

excellent info! seems like a lot of people are surprised in a good way when they see the dcb in person
I would categorize the DCB as more on the players side because the head size is definitely smaller than a game improvement iron. You still have to put a good swing on the ball but there is some help built in.

I got to take out a full set today and they're tons of fun. They look and feel pretty great for the kind of help they give you. And they can make you feel like a beast. ;)

415b6d15dd48a7304ddc86449cb2ae98.jpg

I had the chance to demo the apex pro 2021 at my local range today and i left pretty impressed with them. Now they are one of my 4 potential irons to buy in 2021 (others i need to test are zx7, jpx
Tour and t100).

For ref, my current irons are the mizuno mp-20 mb).

The apex pros looked thin enough at address and nothing too big at all. Good

Feel was great for a hollow body iron and wouldnt mind at all. Also good.

Distance as expected was just a bit more than my mizuno blades, maybe 5 more yards.

Forgiveness - this is where this club seemed to shine the most. I literally missed a few shots that flew almost the same distance as a solid strike. If i tried that with mine, i would have been 20 yards short.

Overall, i had never really focus on callaway as a possible choice when buying irons, and now that has changed for sure.

Back