fitted irons(mine) vs non-fitted(buddies)

jchez444

Reaction score
Handicap
So the last 2 rounds I’ve tested something with pretty interesting results. I am a 9.8 hcp currently with the worst part of my game is iron play. My irons are custom fit to me with full fitting jpx 919 hot metal 5-G.

last 2 rds out of the 18 holes I would play 2 balls for the back 9 with my irons vs my senior buddies which in no way should fit me. Graphite reg shaft rogue X, also for his ball I would only use his 5 iron off the tee no driver. And his irons for each round was 4 shots better then mine. And the shot difference worked out perfectly as they were all due to greens in regulation. This baffled me, the ease of hitting them was insane. Yes I know the lofts are stronger and I was a club to club in half longer but with more height. Granted the greens were soft but had no issue holding. I’ve always been fit and play at 2 degrees flat with kbs 110 stiff and his were standard off the rack. I guess is getting fit fully necessary or r these clubs so forgiving standard loft n lie doesn’t effect results. I’m so intrigued that I might even get a set and do a Kong term test. Has anyone switched or has done a similar test

Maybe you might need a larger sample size or perhaps your irons were fit incorrectly? When you did your fitting was it strictly for the hot metals or did you try a variety of irons? I know my last fitting I went in wanting to be fit in the hot metals and I just couldn't get any form of consistency with them. Not say they are bad irons - just didn't work for me.

Maybe you might need a larger sample size or perhaps your irons were fit incorrectly? When you did your fitting was it strictly for the hot metals or did you try a variety of irons? I know my last fitting I went in wanting to be fit in the hot metals and I just couldn't get any form of consistency with them. Not say they are bad irons - just didn't work for me.

no tried several and i did hit them better then the ones i tested against but i think they were the older cobra, tm and that was it. funny one of the main reasons i didnt think about trying it was my ball flight is a draw and i was afraid of having a case of the lefts and the strong lofts. but everytime i swing this club its insanely easy and the results more then not are better results then my gamers. but just a quick example these 3 holes stood out to me.

1) par 5 512 yds: with my irons i went driver(left), 5irons(left), wedge on 2 putt bogey. His clubs 5 iron(FW), 5 iron(FW), 127 yds left hit approach W on 2 putt par

2) par 3 151 yds: my irons 8 iron to 15 ft. his irons 9 iron pin high left

3) par 5 518 yds: mine driver(fw), Wood(wood), wedge fringe, 2 putt. His 5 iron(FW), 5 iron(mishit but still fw), 135yds left hit PW one to 18-22 ft 2 putt

Its almost like i gotta decide on application vs look/feel i think lol. i just know those irons you cant get fit anymore and ill just have to go standard but it doesnt seem like that matters in the end.

So the last 2 rounds I’ve tested something with pretty interesting results. I am a 9.8 hcp currently with the worst part of my game is iron play. My irons are custom fit to me with full fitting jpx 919 hot metal 5-G.

last 2 rds out of the 18 holes I would play 2 balls for the back 9 with my irons vs my senior buddies which in no way should fit me. Graphite reg shaft rogue X, also for his ball I would only use his 5 iron off the tee no driver. And his irons for each round was 4 shots better then mine. And the shot difference worked out perfectly as they were all due to greens in regulation. This baffled me, the ease of hitting them was insane. Yes I know the lofts are stronger and I was a club to club in half longer but with more height. Granted the greens were soft but had no issue holding. I’ve always been fit and play at 2 degrees flat with kbs 110 stiff and his were standard off the rack. I guess is getting fit fully necessary or r these clubs so forgiving standard loft n lie doesn’t effect results. I’m so intrigued that I might even get a set and do a Kong term test. Has anyone switched or has done a similar test

Trying different shafts and, or, clubheads on the course is always the best way to "get fit" for clubs. On course shot results don't lie.

Are you hitting his irons and adjusting for the 2* more upright in your swing (how do you divots look with those irons)?

Curious, what part of your irons go wrong?

Are you hitting his irons and adjusting for the 2* more upright in your swing (how do you divots look with those irons)?

Curious, what part of your irons go wrong?
funny that you mentioned that, i see no difference. i do take less of a divot with his but i think that could be from the bounce. but the holes i hot them both well the strike was in the middle, my setup the same and what i felt same swing a delivery. i know people will disagree with me but i think people put to much stock in fittings and numbers i think. so im a 9.8 hcp, i played my best golf around 2005-2006 prior to my injury and i was a 7.4 with a set of clubs off the rack with standard steel shafts.

i had my injury(spirial fracture in 3 places of upper right humerous, 2 huge plates and close to 40 screws) didnt play for years and when i got back obviously i had a growing pain in trying to find my game. but once found i kinda became obsessed with fittings and testing clubs and i could never play to that again. Funny out of all the fittings ive gotten the best i think was from a titleist rep outdoors with a driver. in the end it was mainly due to the shorter shaft that it performed better then the others at that time.

i know its the user and not so much the equipment but i think it says a lot that standard set could easily outperform a fitted custom set.

Very interesting, I have been wanting to get fit but worried with my inconsistent swing it won’t be that helpful.

Very interesting, I have been wanting to get fit but worried with my inconsistent swing it won’t be that helpful.

I would counter that argument. Nothing worse than starting off, or learning how to be -more consistent, than with clubs not geared for you.

Brief case in point, I picked up the game at 18yo, bought a TM T2 Bubble driver. After weeks of hitting duffs and slices I bagged it for a 3i most of the time. Years later when the Cleveland Launcher came out, I picked up one of those and immediately became Sir-Crush-A lot. I could hit straight bombs with it. But when I took BOTH clubs to the range, I'd duff everything with the T2, but crush everything with the Launcher. Complete disbelief at how poorly the T2 was for me. Complete disbelief that I could crush a drive the way the Launcher did for me.

> I wish I had better guidance at first, it cost me many years of golf to find what I like and what works. Advice for someone inconsistent or a beginner, get fit and find what is consistent for YOUR swing, not the other way around <

Definitely following this one as I recently got fitted for irons and ordered a new set of irons and hoping for the best. Time will tell as they say.

funny that you mentioned that, i see no difference. i do take less of a divot with his but i think that could be from the bounce. but the holes i hot them both well the strike was in the middle, my setup the same and what i felt same swing a delivery. i know people will disagree with me but i think people put to much stock in fittings and numbers i think. so im a 9.8 hcp, i played my best golf around 2005-2006 prior to my injury and i was a 7.4 with a set of clubs off the rack with standard steel shafts.

i had my injury(spirial fracture in 3 places of upper right humerous, 2 huge plates and close to 40 screws) didnt play for years and when i got back obviously i had a growing pain in trying to find my game. but once found i kinda became obsessed with fittings and testing clubs and i could never play to that again. Funny out of all the fittings ive gotten the best i think was from a titleist rep outdoors with a driver. in the end it was mainly due to the shorter shaft that it performed better then the others at that time.

i know its the user and not so much the equipment but i think it says a lot that standard set could easily outperform a fitted custom set.

For me, I know that I can take and hold a posture just fine to level a club out, so 2* upright or flat, I could square either up fine. Only ONE way (IMO) allows you to go at it with maximum efficiency though. My thought was maybe standard lie works better now.

I think my biggest disadvantage when starting golf was NOT ever being fitted. I tried to be consistent with clubs that were NOT for me. Those golf years sucked. So much easier to be consistent with clubs built for MY swing.

I hear ya on the injury thing, 4 knee surgeries between the both of them and at 42yo, I've been putting off a complete knee replacement now for a year (left meniscus, ACL, and MCL are all currently shot).

As someone else mentioned. On course results don't lie. I think I'd be checking out Callaway pre-owned if I were in your shoes.

As many have said, on course validation is huge. Fitting numbers using a launch monitor are a good start but on course is the only way to see how they will work for you. Is there a chance you are swinging his clubs better as it's like a free shot for you? I've found that when I play a club with a lighter flex than I've been fit for I tend to swing smoother and not overswing. Could that be playing a factor?

I would counter that argument. Nothing worse than starting off, or learning how to be -more consistent, than with clubs not geared for you.

Brief case in point, I picked up the game at 18yo, bought a TM T2 Bubble driver. After weeks of hitting duffs and slices I bagged it for a 3i most of the time. Years later when the Cleveland Launcher came out, I picked up one of those and immediately became Sir-Crush-A lot. I could hit straight bombs with it. But when I took BOTH clubs to the range, I'd duff everything with the T2, but crush everything with the Launcher. Complete disbelief at how poorly the T2 was for me. Complete disbelief that I could crush a drive the way the Launcher did for me.

> I wish I had better guidance at first, it cost me many years of golf to find what I like and what works. Advice for someone inconsistent or a beginner, get fit and find what is consistent for YOUR swing, not the other way around <
I guess it just comes down to how I want to spend money on a limited golf budget. Until I'm a better player I think I would prefer to spend money on tee times then lessons. A proper fitting is definitely on the list though.

Interesting, would be an interesting experiment.
I like fittings and think they are way overrated at the same time.

As many have said, on course validation is huge. Fitting numbers using a launch monitor are a good start but on course is the only way to see how they will work for you. Is there a chance you are swinging his clubs better as it's like a free shot for you? I've found that when I play a club with a lighter flex than I've been fit for I tend to swing smoother and not overswing. Could that be playing a factor?

awesome comment, that was one of the first thoughts that popped in my head. his club is insanely lighter then mine and everything felt smooth or easier. even off the tee when i tried to kill the 5 iron the transition wasnt quick or snatchy, the result was left side of fairway with an overdraw. the pw from 135 ball above my feet was smooooooooth, i actually thought i was going to come up short which it kinda did but i was just short and it bounced on. then the 127 yd approach wedge was my normal tempo and swing and it just launched high hit the green and stopped inches from the mark.

however disclaimer i did leave out one hole a par 3 147 yds i hit a 8 iron baby draw hit the stick down to the cup but bounced away to 10-12ft. with the rogue X i swung a 9 iron baby draw literally same flight maybe touch higher and if it was barely, right over the stick about 30-40 ft past but stopped again inches from pitch mark.

and i seen some comments on nervoous about fitting, i was just expressing my experience and how on the course trumps. now dont get me wrong its not like i cant hit my irons, i shot 73 twice last year with numerous rounds in the 70's. just after this test and last year with periodically grabbing his irons here and there to hit them the results was almost always better. and i know the strong lofts and low spin equal distance but i found no issue holding with the decent angle. who knows if i would get the same results with steel stiff but i think im going to test it. im going to try this week weather permitting to sneak out of work take his clubs and play 18 holes on a course im very familiar with.

You might be getting some more shaft droop with the regular flex graphite - that will flatten the lie angle somewhat.

I've got fitted clubs that are 1/2 inch extended and 2 up. That said, I play 'standard' lie and length now. When I shoot 75 consistently I will get my specs change under the assertion my swing is good enough. Until then my swing continues to change and what I needed 4 weeks ago will be a little different then optimal 4 weeks from now. I have numerous playing partners about my height struggling with the game and somehow thinking a 1/4 inch or 2 degrees is going to make a difference. My finding is this can detract one from seeing the real opportunities.

One factor to remember about golf equipment is that players tend to adjust their golf swings to fit their equipment.
For example, someone with too stiff of a shaft might naturally swing harder at the ball (because they've come to realize that only their hard pace swing will prevent losing shots to the right). And someone playing too soft of a shaft will adjust their swing tempo so that the soft shaft produces relatively straight shots.

One factor to remember about golf equipment is that players tend to adjust their golf swings to fit their equipment.
For example, someone with too stiff of a shaft might naturally swing harder at the ball (because they've come to realize that only their hard pace swing will prevent losing shots to the right). And someone playing too soft of a shaft will adjust their swing tempo so that the soft shaft produces relatively straight shots.
You made my point in a much more eloquent way! Put an extra stiff shaft in my driver and I'll swing out of my shoes like an idiot

The torque is higher in his graphite shafts than your steel shaft. With your swing playing his clubs the club face is staying open/square at impact. With your irons that have a lower torque shaft the club face is closing at impact due to lower torque. That's why your pulling to the left.
Try re-shafting your clubs with a lighter weight, regular flex, higher torque graphite shaft. They don't have to be a big named brand shaft for testing purposes. Search eBay.
Disclaimer- this is my uneducated opinion and is an assumption on the characteristics of iron shafts involved.

Looking at this another way - how long have you had your fitted irons for?
Over time, your swing can change, and maybe his clubs fit you better now because of that?

I know my swing changed a lot in the space of a couple years - I went from my Srixon Z545 irons (fitted) with Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour130 shafts in regular flex to a combo set of the Z-Forged/Z785 with Tour105 shafts in x-flex because of how much my swing has changed in the 4 years since I was originally fitted for my Z545 set
Since I was fitted for the new set early last year, I have reduced my handicap from 12 down to 9 in about 7 months and even shot a +2 personal best at my home club

i had my injury(spirial fracture in 3 places of upper right humerous - more than likely your right arm is now shorter than your left, maybe some specialized club fitting is necessary.

I tend to agree in part, however I swing lighter shafts and my swing speeds remain fairly constant as far as harder or softer whether the shaft is heavy or light. At least the Trackman data shows it consistent. I only had one shaft out of the entire lot that I swung a bit slower - it was about a mile or maybe two slower.

The main difference for me is when a shaft is stiff it has a more "boardy" feel to it and I don't have the sensitivity I like with feeling the clubhead weight. My ball striking area does change with different shafts/clubheads - my swing really doesn't.

I tend to agree in part, however I swing lighter shafts and my swing speeds remain fairly constant as far as harder or softer whether the shaft is heavy or light. At least the Trackman data shows it consistent. I only had one shaft out of the entire lot that I swung a bit slower - it was about a mile or maybe two slower.

The main difference for me is when a shaft is stiff it has a more "boardy" feel to it and I don't have the sensitivity I like with feeling the clubhead weight. My ball striking area does change with different shafts/clubheads - my swing really doesn't.
You have a much more disciplined swing than mine then. If a shaft feels boardy I overswing and it's something I'm trying to work on but it's tough to change.

today we have rain but looks like its going to stop here shortly so im going to get out later today if not tomorrow. the results of holding greens i wont factor in due to the soft conditions, unless clubs spin too low and im rolling off on these greens today then its a big nono. gonna keep detailed results hole to hole and will post results

Back