Fitting at True Spec Boston

jdlive

Reaction score
Handicap
Meh
Posted in the NE thread but thought I'd add it over here as well.

Had a full bag fitting at True Spec in Waltham yesterday evening. I have done an iron fitting but it was quite a while ago and I was wanting to go through the whole bag, mainly to figure out the "top end" between my 3 wood and 5 iron but also just to have someone checking my whole setup. I have 2 hybrids, a 3 and 4 and I don't hit either great and there's quite a bit of overlap.

So we started out with the irons, got a baseline on my current Callaway RazrX tour 6i. Tried quite a few different heads and shafts, including some graphite. I was interested in seeing if those would work out, but in the end it wasn't enough of a difference to make a switch. My fitter thought my overall numbers were pretty good but wanted to see if we could get a little higher trajectory and more spin for better stopping power in the mid irons. He ended up fitting me to the Callaway TCBs with a lighter shaft than my current KBS. In the end, there was a slight improvement across the board but given the price I was shown for the irons am doubtful I'll be upgrading just yet. Some of the other heads I remember trying were Srixon, TM P770, Mizuno Hotmetal and a Wilson that looked nearly like a blade. Hit that last one well but it was just about a club shorter.

Did some work with the driver but I felt like my swing was just awful. I'm not a fan of indoor hitting bays to start with and none of the swings I made felt right. Was getting pretty awful numbers - I'm not a long hitter but these were just way off. Did finally get some decent hits with the final driver, a TSI and again a slightly lighter, softer shaft (Accra). Would have liked to be able to do a little more investigation there but again just didn't think it was worthwhile and it wasn't the top priority for me anyway. I may try to find some demo days or other options to hit some drivers outdoors.

Then it was the real stuff I came there for, trying to figure out the gap from 3 wood to the irons. I hit some shots with my current Callaway Razrs and as expected, the numbers overall showed inconsistency and not a huge gap between them. And also a big gap from them down to my 5 iron. My fitter suggested maybe looking at a 7 wood as I was a "sweeper" with my swing. Which was one aspect that was news to me, I have always felt I'm pretty steep but the numbers showed I was actually hitting up on the ball a bit. Could have been related to hitting off the fake turf or maybe ball position was a bit off, but that's what the number said. I hit a few options and a Ping 7 wood looked decent, but not great. Ping hybrid didn't look good to my eye, just seemed really shut. Finally found a nice option, a couple TM hybrids that I hit really well. What we ended up with is going with a 5 and 3 hybrid to cover the gaps. Maybe I'll still also look at some other fairway woods down the road but this is one change I'll likely make pretty soon.

Also spent some time on wedges, Callaway Jaws seemed to be a good fit, I was really dialed in with them. 5 or 6 shots with each 56/52 and all the carry yardages were exactly the same, very good spin rate, etc. Can't do much better than that. I could use some new ones as my current wedges are a couple years old. Talked a bit about the different grinds and bounce options as those have always been a bit of a mystery to me. I mean, I understand exactly what they are, what they do, etc but have no idea which I'd need. My fitter gave me some suggestions but I just don't think I'm that "creative" with my wedges to need a whole lot there.

And of course there was the "sticker shock" moment when I was shown the price for the entire bag, wow! Like I said, may get the 2 hybrids and maybe replace the wedges but the whole set was quite a bit. And since I had just had the front brakes and rear shocks done on my car Monday was not really in the mood to see those kind of numbers again. :D

But overall was happy with the experience, I definitely learned a lot about my swing and think (hope) I have a solution for the main problem I came there with.

Glad that went well. Thanks for sharing

Glad you found some benefit from your fitting. that sticker shock moment is real. I knew it would be $$ but for me the results and guarantee of performance pushed me over the edge and I ordered irons from TrueSpec yesterday.

awesome writeup! yeah, the sticker shock is real at these high-end places. like you, i hate hitting indoors, and like you my angle of attack is often extremely shallow because i just don't like hitting off mats. fortunately there are places in my area where i can get fit outdoors.

enjoy the new sticks! jaws wedges are the real deal.

awesome writeup! yeah, the sticker shock is real at these high-end places. like you, i hate hitting indoors, and like you my angle of attack is often extremely shallow because i just don't like hitting off mats. fortunately there are places in my area where i can get fit outdoors.

enjoy the new sticks! jaws wedges are the real deal.

Thanks. Had them put in the order for the 2 hybrids to start. Might do the wedges or just get them somewhere else as they were pretty standard config.

Thanks for the post, I'll be getting fitted this fall for the first time in my 63 years

Thanks. Had them put in the order for the 2 hybrids to start. Might do the wedges or just get them somewhere else as they were pretty standard config.

Got the hybrids today....nice packaging. :)

true spec.jpg

I got a 3W from them 3 years ago and it is still in the bag which is an eternity for me. Good luck with the hybrids.

What shafts did you end up in?

It's their branded version of a Mitsubishi shaft, not sure which exactly that it corresponds to.

It's their branded version of a Mitsubishi shaft, not sure which exactly that it corresponds to.

I got a Mitsubishi C6 shaft through Cool Clubs which turned out to be a great fit. It performs pretty close to the Ventus Red for a lot less money. My fitter suggested it and was willing to guarantee I would like it which I did.

I got a Mitsubishi C6 shaft through Cool Clubs which turned out to be a great fit. It performs pretty close to the Ventus Red for a lot less money. My fitter suggested it and was willing to guarantee I would like it which I did.

Yeah, guessing that is the same shaft. Took them out for the first time today at Blackstone, hit a few balls warming up on the range and then had 4-5 shots out on the course. Kind of mixed results which isn't too surprising. My game overall was pretty crappy so not going to make any judgement yet. :confused:

Back