Fitting question for THP

e1iterate

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I recently went through an iron fitting with Titleist.

Traditionally I have played standard length shafts and my lies have been 1 degree upright.

During the fitting, my fitter bumped me to standard lies but the club a half inch shorter. This worked very well during my fitting.

My question is does this make sense? Would shortening the clubs balance out the lie or do you think it’s still going to be flatter than I’m used to?

Below were notes from my fitting:
Below are a few key takeaways;

• The T200 7i carry distance was 10 yrds further than the Apex
  • The peak height dropped 15 feet in the T200- went from 120 ft in Apex to 105ft in T200
  • Along with the peak height we got your landing angle down from 55+ degrees to low 50’s
  • Perhaps most importantly pertaining dispersion, we were able to significantly lower your ball speed variances- the difference from your good to bad shots in the Apex’s varied by 6mph (this is high and creates higher dispersion- the good shots are much longer than the bad shots and thus tougher to predict and a wider dispersion)
  • In the T200’s your ball speed only varied by 3mph from good to bad shots, meaning even your mis-hits we still decent shots which in turn provides tighter dispersion and consistently hitting your yardage
  • The goal in an iron is to flatline ball speeds- getting that ball speed variance as close to 0 as possible meaning you are hitting the same yardage every time. Dropping from 6mph to 3mph may not sound like a lot but that is a significant increase in consistency in distance as well as side to side misses shrinking. 1mph = 2 yards and we can’t have your 7i distances varying by 12 yards (12 yards long on the good shots or 12 yards short on the poor shots)
  • Thus the T200 only varying by 3mph shrunk the mis-hit gap to only 6 yards
  • In short, we were able to get the T200’s more consistently hitting the same distance, smaller side to side misses by a 14yrd tighter dispersion circle, 10 yrds further and a tad lower with too high being a concern of yours in your current clubs.

It depends on Titleist lie angles, there is no standard, some companies are more upright or flatter than others. To answer your question shortening the club does effectively make the lie flatter but if thats what you were fit into and it worked, I'd trust the fitter.

Standard ie angle for the Apex 21 is 62 and the Titleist T200 is 63.

Given your fitting notes, I think I would trust the fitter on this one.

Will you be able to hit that combo again at a store just to confirm?

Hard to argue with the results unless you didn't feel sufficiently warmed up with your gamer irons.

If it worked in the fitting there’s no reason to think it won’t work on the course. With that said, shortening the shaft and moving to standard would make sense in my head. I believe as you increase the length, your swing becomes flatter so it would make sense shortening has the opposite effect

Thanks for input.

So 1up from standard apex 21s anyhow?
That's what I see but I've already been told today that I don't know Jacksh!t so . . . .

Just on paper and static numbers it doesn’t really. Effectively it’ll be 1* flat and statically they’ll be the same lie angle. But that’s in a vacuum. Minor changes to the club can lead to changes in setup and swing. Looking at the results I wouldn’t stress it and I’d consider it a very good fitting.

Just on paper and static numbers it doesn’t really. Effectively it’ll be 1* flat and statically they’ll be the same lie angle. But that’s in a vacuum. Minor changes to the club can lead to changes in setup and swing. Looking at the results I wouldn’t stress it and I’d consider it a very good fitting.
Thank you

A recent fitting for me showed that I needed +1 upright which didnt make any sense to me at first because Im short and had flat/standard previously. Fitter explained its all about how I am delivering the club. I guess swings can/do change. I hope your new set up kicks a** for you.

Generally shortening a club "should" make it more upright. But, adjusting upright or flat should have nothing to do with length and should be 100% dependent on ball flight. If you are losing them a little right or seeing more fade then you would like. That is when you go more upright regardless of length.

After that fitting, I'll be getting even more pops the next time we tee it up.

Back