Foolproof Alignment / Setup Help

For argument sake, if good golf was all about perfect alignment, the game would be far easier. Of course basic alignment makes total sense....no argument. But beyond that, your brain and body will actually carry-out very basic rudimentary instructions without manipulation. For example, I can line-up to a shot in a neutral position, then "think" "hit a fade". More often than not, a fade occurs. I have no idea why because I don't try to line-up to hit a fade. I truly believe that's why the best players simply visualize their shot....it's a subliminal "road map" of execution instructions.

It's kinda like if I toss a set of keys to you, then say "toss them in the basket to my right, you'll probably hold the keys, not really think, and redirect your arm to toss the keys in, or very near the basket. You don't think "Ok, I've got these keys, they're in my right hand, the basket is 2.5 feet wide, and about 7 yards away". Nope. You hold the keys for a second and toss them, without really thinking. My point is I think we can over-instruct ourselves more often than not.

Your body will do amazing things but if you aren’t aligned correctly it is impossible to hit good shots consistently.

I've done this ever since I read about it in Nicklaus's book: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tom-watson-aim-like-jack-nicklaus

Just get some feedback to make sure you are truly lined up the way you believe you are as them eyes are always lyin'! Alignment rods during practice help train your brain/eyes to get comfortable with correct alignment too.

I try to pick a spot out about 3-5 feet in front of where the ball is to align myself. For me it's easier to pick a line closer to the ball and align myself with that line.

I think the best thing you can do is to worry less about being square and more about using ball flight and directional feedback to create better aim.

I use this a lot where I pick one flag on the driving range and no matter the distance, hit every ball towards that flag - driver to lob wedge. Use 3 alignment sticks. One for your feet, and 2 on both sides of the ball. You’ll Likely see trends and you adjust from there.

Do you folks think starting alignment, while being aligned to the target is important, becomes somewhat inconsequential as the club proceeds back on the takeaway? Most of us turn our shoulders back to about 90 degrees at the top, so at that point we're all generally "equal". From there, depending upon how the lower-body and shoulders rotate in sequence in the down swing, the shoulders might actually be in good position at impact despite an "open" starting point.

I went through an alignment exercise some years ago with an instructor. We found was my body naturally lined-up with my shoulders slightly open. When I tried to square my shoulders at address, I felt "twisted sideways" for lack of a better term. However, upon reviewing videos, despite having open shoulders at address, my swing was slightly in-to-out at impact. I tend to think shoulder alignment at address may become more of an issue if one has more of an upper-body, shoulder dominated swing. My instructor would say sometimes folks chase the readily apparent things that can be measured, but neglect other things like down swing sequencing that are much harder to evaluate.

I'd be curious to see what others think.

This is a great thread, very helpful. I'm going to get some driveway sticks to practice.

I've always pick out a spot in front of my ball, line up the club to that, then line up my body to the club.

I think ball position, posture, and hand position factor into getting the ball started on the intended line as well.

I know for me, I tend to let the ball creep too far forward at times and that contributes to my ball starting left of where I want it.

Great thread topic as this is something I am working hard on. My instructor has me using the target in front of the ball to line up. It is helping me as I was always off the line I wanted. I have been using the putting alignment mark on the ball pointed right down the fairway where I would like the ball to end up.

Do you folks think starting alignment, while being aligned to the target is important, becomes somewhat inconsequential as the club proceeds back on the takeaway? Most of us turn our shoulders back to about 90 degrees at the top, so at that point we're all generally "equal". From there, depending upon how the lower-body and shoulders rotate in sequence in the down swing, the shoulders might actually be in good position at impact despite an "open" starting point.

I went through an alignment exercise some years ago with an instructor. We found was my body naturally lined-up with my shoulders slightly open. When I tried to square my shoulders at address, I felt "twisted sideways" for lack of a better term. However, upon reviewing videos, despite having open shoulders at address, my swing was slightly in-to-out at impact. I tend to think shoulder alignment at address may become more of an issue if one has more of an upper-body, shoulder dominated swing. My instructor would say sometimes folks chase the readily apparent things that can be measured, but neglect other things like down swing sequencing that are much harder to evaluate.

I'd be curious to see what others think.

Mostly shoulder alignment is a consequence of grip technique.
For example, when placing the hands on the grip in a strong manner (left hand on top of the club and, or, right hand underneath the club) this naturally causes the shoulders to
become closed (aligned right).
A neutral grip technique player (placing his hands on the club in the same orientation as they are when hanging naturally from the sides of the body), will then naturally have shoulders square to the target line.

Mostly shoulder alignment is a consequence of grip technique.
For example, when placing the hands on the grip in a strong manner (left hand on top of the club and, or, right hand underneath the club) this naturally causes the shoulders to
become closed (aligned right).
A neutral grip technique player (placing his hands on the club in the same orientation as they are when hanging naturally from the sides of the body), will then naturally have shoulders square to the target line.
I have a neutral grip and my shoulders tend to line-up open to the target, but at impact there's no correlation.

Back