For a beginner; high end vs low end driver.

You can pick up a decent used 915 D2 with a Diamana shaft for cheap. It is still a great driver that bombs far.

The issue I have w/ recommending a newer player hit 5/7/9 irons off the tee is that they are going to eventually have to learn to hit longer clubs.

The reality is that if someone develops a swing technique capable of consistently solid-square-quality ball contact with a 9-iron, 7-iron, 5-iron etc.... then he/she will then have no problem striking good shots with a driver.
Most people mistakenly believe that the 9-iron or 7-iron shot they hit reasonably straight and far was a well struck shot, but it may not be. The short and mid irons high lofts and short shafts make it them relatively easy to hit reasonably straight shots, and people tend to think the 8-iron they hit 15 yards off line and 10 yards short of the distance target "wasn't a bad shot".
Hal Sutton had a great Tour career and he used to practice with only a 9-iron. He was discriminating and could ascertain a 9-iron square-quality strike versus a slight mishit. He knew that if he was consistently getting absolutely square-quality strikes with his 9-iron it would mean he could then easily strike good shots with a 2-iron , driver etc...
So, it's not a matter of "learning to hit longer clubs". The most sensible approach is to learn to strike truly solid-square-quality shots with short and mid irons. If a player does that he will then be able to strike great shots with any long club.

We will agree to disagree. Hitting a 9 iron square is a far cry from a driver. Way shorter shaft, loft, ball position etc. If your argument was for a driver w a shorter shaft I'd be on board w that. Hitting 9 irons off the tee is a "get around the course band-aid". .not a way to work towards learning to play

I will also say as I learned to play I hit pretty solid iron shots but it took me much longer to hit driver. Not sure how hitting down on a iron from further back in your stance teaches a player to properly hit up on a ball from your inside heel w a driver.

Always buy high end...but check for great deals on the Callaway pre-owned website!

We will agree to disagree. Hitting a 9 iron square is a far cry from a driver. Way shorter shaft, loft, ball position etc. If your argument was for a driver w a shorter shaft I'd be on board w that. Hitting 9 irons off the tee is a "get around the course band-aid". .not a way to work towards learning to play

If a player can hit 9-irons consistently straight then it makes sense to move to a 7-iron , 5-iron, or whichever club it is that he can use off tee boxes and consistently hit the fairway. That's not a "band-aid", it's just good sense strategy for playing a golf course. I did not invent this philosophy, most every golf instruction book will advocate the same strategy.
As for learning and practicing swing technique, shorter clubs are best (mostly because they breed good rhythm and tempo). But, the player must be discriminating. That means strive for pure-square-quality ball contact, which is not easy to do, even for Tour pros. For example, striking consistently excellent 9-iron shots, including precise accuracy, precise distance, optimal trajectory, quality impact compression and quality impact sound is very challenging, even for Tour players. Conversely, most amateurs think that because their 9-iron shots usually go within 15 yards of their accuracy target and stay within 10 yards of their distance target, that they are fine and then they move on to longer clubs. But the swing technique flaws that caused 15 yard dispersion with a 9-iron end up causing 25 yard dispersion problems with a 5-iron, and 50 yard or more errant shots with a long club like a driver. To fix all this, it's best to go back to the 9-iron and only move on to longer clubs only when the quality of shots has become much better with the 9-iron.

Before I dropped the cash I would want to hit the clubs. Some things just click for one guy and not another. I had a Rogue Draw not too long ago that I was lucky if I could get to the ladies tees. Just could not find the head and had no feel for it at all. I could pick up my Cobra drive and no problem. A buddy bought that driver from me and hits it much better then I have ever seen him hit anything. It just works for him. As someone mentioned earlier too, the shaft will make a big difference. My F8 I was averaging about 230 and swapped shafts.... I bet I average at least 260 now and that is being conservative. I also recently acquired an F9 and couldn't hit it well at all until I swapped the shaft and now that is just as long as the F8 and I feel like I put forth less effort. While the head is important, proper shaft fit is just as important and sometimes more important.

Definitely go to a golf store and hit the different drivers, from cheap to expensive. Find out your swing speed, that will help you decide on expensive vs cheap. I ended up with an expensive M6, but it really was a game changer for me. 10 to 20 yards longer on each hit and definitely more forgiving on mishits. I bought mine used (looked brand new) for $335 and could not be happier. If money is no object, buy what works best for you. If your swing speed and disposable income are both lower, opt for a bargain driver that you can hit. It is always better for a high handicap golfer to hit irons off the tee, but we all know the allure of hitting a driver will win out.

Read the reviews on previous years drivers as there are minimum improvements each year. Look to get fitted then take those specs and do your shopping. One thing I learned a long time ago, is that, if you are going to be serious about playing, don't be cheap on the equipment. I don't mean go out and spend a fortune but look for good deals and when you finally do pull the trigger, you will know that it is not the equipment to question. One other thing, if you happen to find that driver that you like and works, don't get suck into looking at all the new ones that come out. It took me years to find the right driver and now that I have found it not going to change unless it breaks.

Being relatively new to the game myself---I would recommend buying a good driver released maybe last year or the year prior.

May offer some forgiveness at a lower peice point. Lots of good deals out there.

Until you learn to hit driver fairly well it isn't likely you'll be able to identify the best one for your game for some time.

Whatever you play now is likely to change fairly rapidly as your swing evolves.

Just my 0.02

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreed.

Back