Forged, but forgiving.... what do you recommend from recent years?

lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
As a guy who stays on the cheap and always goes for lightly used but "new to me" irons... What do you recommend in the last 3-4 years irons that would fall into the forged but forgiving category? Thinking forgiveness, but not hitting with a shovel. I tend to play in the high 80s, driver swing speed around 100.

I've been playing Adams Forged XTD irons with C-Taper 120s the last 2 seasons and would like to switch to something with a little better feel.

What do you think I should be on the hunt for?

The p790s I traded into seem to match that category. I'm mid 80s and they play well for me.

Or apex combo set if you like smaller short irons

Callaway Apex CF 19 are pretty dang forgiving and feel great too. Or, the combo set. I know a few people that love those.

Apex CF19s, gaming them and love them

Srixon 565/765 combo.

Srixon 545, 565, 585 or Maltby TE/DBM.

The p790s I traded into seem to match that category. I'm mid 80s and they play well for me.

Or apex combo set if you like smaller short irons
These are what came to mind for me as well. Maybe Srixon 5/7 series.

If you are MIL/First Responder there are some good deals with PXG on new clubs.

The PXG 0211’s (cast) are still $99 a club new for anyone and they’ve had good reviews here:

Last edited:
Hogan Edge irons sound like they might be a good fit for you.

Apex and Apex Pro's and Hogan PTx Pro or the original PTx are two great choices that I have used.

Cobra ForgedTEC Black! Super forgiving and feel great. I'm guessing they might be had used for a little less than a Callaway Apex.

My second recommendation would be the Apex CF16s.

A lot of great recommendations, but don't overlook the Mizuno lineup. They have some great feeling irons for mid handicappers.

I would agree with @gkeller813 Srixon 765/785 combined with additional forgiveness in the long irons. I play a complete set of 765s

Mizuno JPX921 forged..

A lot of great recommendations, but don't overlook the Mizuno lineup. They have some great feeling irons for mid handicappers.
Would love to go Mizuno, was a little worried about forgiveness, but cost may put me out of range

Srixon z565. great feel, great look, great performer.

close second for me would be cobra king forged tec black. I found them to be very forgiving and looked great, and the little bit of extra offset should help with playability.

a close third (could argue tied for second) would be apex cf19. smaller blade length than the other two, so that might impact the forgiveness you're looking for, but still plenty forgiving. my gir wasn't great with them, though.

I vote PTX Pro as well, they are the single most forgiving forged Iron I've ever seen. Highly recommend!

I vote PTX Pro as well, they are the single most forgiving forged Iron I've ever seen. Highly recommend!

I remember the Hogans from way back when, but haven't hit any of the newer sets. I see some PTX out there as well. Is that an older set or similar to the standard/pro lines that most manufacturers run?

I'd put the Wilson D7 Forged in this list as well. Has all the forged feeling with added forgiveness. A premium forged club that doesn't carry a premium price tag.

Srixon 565 or 585 come to mind.
Older models...Nike VRS Forged or Covert Forged.

Ben Hogan EDGE! Super forgiving in a smaller than game improvement head, forged, hollow and foam filled at DTC pricing! You’re welcome!

Back