Forged irons on mats?

Flowmosapien

i play golf
Reaction score
Handicap
So 2 days ago I got a set of jpx 800s and I heard rumors that you can't hit forged irons on mats because it will screw up the lie and and stuff is this true?

JPX-800 irons are not forged.
If they are the 800 Pro series, they are forged.
You can hit them off mats. Could it change the lie angle? Sure, just as hitting off the ground. We recommend getting lofts and lies checked regularly with some irons.

Forged irons should be checked periodically for any changes.

And yes. Jb is correct. Reg.. 800 are cast, only the pros are forged.

I've hit forged off of mats before, but never regularly. Most of the mats are at least as soft as rock hard ground in August. I have a shallower swing, so the couple of times I've hit off mats didn't cause me any concern.

~Rock

I've hit my forged irons off mats a fair bit (only option we have for ranges atm) and just got my lie angles checked a few days ago and they were still fine. I would think it would have to take quite a bit of punishment to change the lie

Personally I think loft is of bigger concern than lie in terms of hitting off mats. Hitting down on the ball should cause the leading edge to smash right into the mat and deloft it slightly over time.

I think you'll be in pain before the loft or lie changes a measurable amount. I would look for ranges that have newer thicker mats instead of those old concrete feeling ones.

forged irons, although people may say they feel like butter.... are not actually made of butter

BoostLE is correct that you're likely over thinking the amount of adjustment you can do to your irons

you can't bend an iron 2 degrees upright or flat by hitting on a range mat a couple times, forged irons are not actually THAT much softer than cast irons
the spec's may drift a bit over years of range use, but you certainly don't have to have your spec's adjusted every season, even if you hit on mats a lot

Back