TeeJayeff

Next year is the year.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
15.4 GHIN
To put it mildly, my putting was never good but this year it's been horrendous. Not much golf the past few years and this year decided to play a lot. I've been using an Odyssey Versa Blade the last several years with gradually diminishing returns. The last couple of weeks I've switched to various old putters that were in the basement - a old Rossie, an old Anser, and even an old Nancy Lopez that was in a bag inherited from my mother. None of them were any worse but my confidence is shot and 3 putting has been my norm, either zooming it by the hole or leaving it way short. I've recently joined a new club so I'm still becoming accustomed to the greens, but my stroke is hideous on its best days - a punch, and I started topping the ball when I tried more of a pendulum on longer putts. Anyway, I picked up an old Odyssey White Hot 2-ball Blade last night about 7:00 p.m. off of FB Marketplace and I ran right to my club's putting green. Immediately, the weight, balance and feel was unbelievable and my stroke felt more natural. I hit about 50 putts before dark and my line was instantly better, I was sinking some 12 to 15 footers and leaving all others within a few feet, even some 30 to 40 footers. More impressively (for me), I was making 90% of the second putts. I know, I know, it's too early to gush but normally for me, once title passes, the new club placebo effect vanishes. I'm pretty pumped. :)

I still have an old 2 ball blade. It is and will always be a great putter. It shares time in my bag with a couple other options.

Sometimes, what our putting needs is just a new visual.

Take it to the course and then let us know.

Take it to the course and then let us know.
I will definitely report back. I have end of season trip this weekend for my golf league at a course with very difficult greens. May try to sneak in 9 at my course tonight or tomorrow night.

I will definitely report back. I have end of season trip this weekend for my golf league at a course with very difficult greens. May try to sneak in 9 at my course tonight or tomorrow night.

Glad to hear you may have found your "magic wand".

That's a great first impression! Hopefully it keeps up the outstanding work for you!

To revisit this thread, I played a quick 9 last night after work. No chance to work on the green beforehand and ran to the tee to meet up with a guy I know. Well, unsurprisingly, no magic bullet but it was still encouraging. Two three putts and one 12 foot 1-putt for birdie on the 9th. I can live with that. Investigating a new oversized grip today. Now just need to work on the stroke.

Training regime is the foundation of putting success. I believe distance control trumps line so I recommend Puttist to develop distance control from 10 feet to 40 feet. I recommend Aimpoint to learn reading the break and determine where to start rolling the ball. Finally, I recommend a putting fork with a tight gate (just 1/8" clearance 7.5"away). This boils down to half of one degree accuracy. You will be surprised how many more 15 footers you will make.
Sum it up... Distance control, proper read and start the ball on the right line. Watch out, lots of taps ins coming. Along the way, demo putters that enable you to control the above, that's the putter for you. You will start to feel things in your stroke never realized before as it affects distance and start line. So many effects like pressures in fingers, wrist action, arc, toe flow, straight back straight thru or toe release, grip size, different grip styles, different head weights, different shafts, etc.... Find the magic combo that enables you to contol distance and start on the line you pick.
It's not just picking up a magic putter. It's both the Indian and the arrow.

Training regime is the foundation of putting success. I believe distance control trumps line so I recommend Puttist to develop distance control from 10 feet to 40 feet. I recommend Aimpoint to learn reading the break and determine where to start rolling the ball. Finally, I recommend a putting fork with a tight gate (just 1/8" clearance 7.5"away). This boils down to half of one degree accuracy. You will be surprised how many more 15 footers you will make.
Sum it up... Distance control, proper read and start the ball on the right line. Watch out, lots of taps ins coming. Along the way, demo putters that enable you to control the above, that's the putter for you. You will start to feel things in your stroke never realized before as it affects distance and start line. So many effects like pressures in fingers, wrist action, arc, toe flow, straight back straight thru or toe release, grip size, different grip styles, different head weights, different shafts, etc.... Find the magic combo that enables you to contol distance and start on the line you pick.
It's not just picking up a magic putter. It's both the Indian and the arrow.
Thanks. Interesting tips.

Back