Fowler - Sponsors

Rickie Fowler not associated with sponsors, Jason Day and Xander switching sponsors. It is a sign they are going to LIV? 😜

With so many players not getting renewed this year it makes me wonder what is going on. Fowler in my opinion has soo much more draw then a lot of the other guys. Wonder if it is a case of a lot of companies just pulling back with the economy.
My opinion: the Tiger era is over. Nobody in golf is compelling. Corporations realize it’s a sport with waning viewership and they don’t feel compelled to try to buy player screen time.

I think it is a combination of both the corporate cutbacks and decision to invest elsewhere as and the unwillingness of the wealthy players to invest more of their personal time to meet the obligations of these corporate deals. With young families and maybe more on the way, I would suspect a more improved balance leaning more towards the family has resulted.

In addition, the uncertainty of the LIV collaboration and less viewers, the ROI on golf might not be as appealing as in the past. As well, my guess since LIV and the money thrown around, my guess is the PGA players renewing might be asking for some pretty large raises for their services.

Nothing to support either theory, just my guess.

I could see how that could get tiring, but the flipside of me says the money probably isn't bad either.
This was my thought. When he wasn’t winning for a hot minute at least he still had money coming in.

This feels like the result of splitting an already small market. Rickies a great ambassador but now he has less eyes available. Another possibility is he was the busiest man alive doing commercials and sponsored events and now with a family it might not be worth the time away from home.

Perhaps sponsors are waking up to the fact that what pros say doesn't carry much weight with the masses, and its a poor investment.
Or the rise of LIV has them thinking that the PGAT may not be the investment it once was.
Or a combination thereof.

Sad. I liked his commercials.

Interesting. Seems a lot of big sponsors are pulling out of stuff or at least gearing back. See Wells Fargo here in Charlotte for the event at Quail.

My opinion: the Tiger era is over. Nobody in golf is compelling. Corporations realize it’s a sport with waning viewership and they don’t feel compelled to try to buy player screen time.
100%

I thought I was a golf fanatic but keeping track of players sponsors is a whole other level.
Kudos to you.

There could be 100 reasons for this so it's tough to read too much into it

Just a logo on a shirt might be what, 500k? For a guy like Rickie....that is a guess but i think i recall seeing something like that a few years back. Maybe even less like 250K. As others have said maybe Rickie has enough money that this doesn't move the needle for him anymore and he'd rather avoid the sponsor events etc.

Or maybe golfers have become less dependable as spokespeople given all the LIV stuff so companies are being cautious (can association with LIV hut their ESG scores? i don't know enough about this stuff)

Or maybe he's signing with LIV

Or 95 other things

It is entirely possible he's still with some or all of the sponsors and adjusted the relationship to be media only and not apparel logos. It's possible the contracts expired at the end of the year and they are still in negotiations. Its possible Rickie wanted to draw more attention to what he's wearing so he can talk about the "L" hat and the charity is supports.

Back