Full release on follow through

SW

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
Andy tonight I noticed something on video that has creeped into my follow through. I seem be chicken winging my lead arm just after contact (irons only) which kills my release and width.

Any drills to help with this?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

This is a fun part of the swing to clean up. The best way to get rid of the chicken wing is to make sure the arms and hands are going out and away from you through the ball. Place a tee out in front of the ball and a touch to the right so when you swing down try and swing throught the ball and out over the tee for better extension. Making sure that your hands release will also help with this. If you feel it is your release that is hurting you try this. At home or the range try to feel this. As you swing down (no ball) when your club gets to impact have your hands release the club so much that the toe of the club would be making impact. This feel will help you get a better feel of the release. Let me know how this goes and if you need some more help.

Andy, I got it a little better, still not all the way right but on my way. I noticed if set up a little farther from the ball and bend more from the waist I get less pulling up with my lead arm.

Along the iron lines though what is causes a quick right turn at the very end of ball flight, straight shot except for the last 5-10 yds?

A straight shot that tails at the very end or when the ball is loosing forward momentum is normally caused by a club face that was a little too open at impact. The path was good and the slightly open face puts just enough side spin on the ball to get it to bend at the end of its flight.

Cool, that was my suspicion. I'll get to work on that next week, maybe I can start hitting some more greens instead of coming up slightly short and right.

I like the tee out front and to the right idea. I will try it!

Back